Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Rules II
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 8, 2000
As someone who considers herself a highly intelligent, well-educated individual, I originally turned up my nose at these "manipulative" Rules, claiming, after having read the first book, that they would only work on a certain, superficial type of man. But let me tell you what I've discovered - acting as if you like yourself and your life and that you are just as happy without a man as with one is the only way to ever really find happiness *with* one! Ellen Fein and Sherrie Schneider have been slammed for writing these books, when in actuality the message they are trying to get across is: "stop being so pathetic, stop sitting around daydreaming about how some guy will make your life perfect, because when you think that way, you're *bound* to end up looking needy and desperate!" I think the reason these books offended so many "feminists" is because even feminists act this way! Even the most intelligent, intellectual, well-educated women in the world doodle their first name with the dream guy's last name, daydream about their wedding, etc...yet hate it about themselves. The bottom line is, don't knock "The Rules" books just because they appear calculating and manipulative. Granted, there are brainless bimbos out there who follow the book to the letter without ever getting the greater message, whose only goal is getting a rich husband. But these books are also great "how-to" guides for those of us who *know* we have to stop being doormats and that we have a tendency to rationalize it by saying we're just "being open and honest". I also recommend "Men Like Women Who Like Themselves".
44 comments|207 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 1998
I have met, chased, been dumped twice by and finally caught by Mr Right. The first two times we dated, things would go well and then I'd start analysing and get clingy (as I did with all my relationships.) The first time he called the third time we dated (we dated and stopped dating THREE TIMES over four years)I had a copy of The Rules in front of me-- strangely opened to the page that said something to the effect of, "Don't be too excied when he calls. . . Get off the phone first-- you are busy and have a life!" I considered it destiny, said it was great hearing from him but that I was only home for a few minutes but had to run as I had an appointment. He asked me for dinner that weekend-- I said I was busy on Friday (I didn't tell him that I was doing laundry!)and he tied me down for Saturday. (Very Rules of me!)
I enjoyed that date, and I wanted it to go on for forever. But the Rules said no-- end the evening first. I told him I was teaching Sunday school the next morning and had to be home by midnight for my beauty rest.
He dropped me off and met me and my kids at the church the next morning. The date DID go on for Forever-- we married three months later.
He later told me that when he called he had been thinking of me-- I was a nice, single mom with three terrific kids and he had decided that I was intellectually great as a friend but that I was too fragile for a romance. He planned on sowing the seeds for a gradual friendship to be built again, but that he was shocked that as needy as I had been, I was suddenly doing other things. He really liked this new woman and wanted to know me better, and he was suddenly having to work to get my attention! As recommended in the books, I decided to not call him if I didn't hear from him-- he didn't call me once for three days and I had made certain to make plans for the next weekend, so oh-well. I waited for him to make the moves. He did. If I had plans with the kids, he even offered to join us-- and he paid for all of us just to be "taking care of me." He worked a shift job the first two years after we wed, and I was always getting called every night he was gone. At a Christmas party everyone said how proud of me he was as he bragged about my community involvment and how he couldn't wait to come home to me. The Rules I & II advised me on how to act under difficult circumstances and I did them-- it is hard to not vomit your feelings out when you feel the weight of the world on your shoulders, but timing was crucial and as a result, he was happier and we couldn't wait for one another.
HE will buy our daughters copies of both for their thirteenth birthdays and to encourage them to be active women with more than romance on their minds. Even when the hormones are screaming that a boy is the be-all/end-all, he'll have more to advise them with as far as saying, "You are worth more than this."
22 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 1999
I don't think The Rules should be followed like a Bible, but there are some very valid points-- about 75% in my estimation-- in there. The media, as usual, likes to quote out of context to devalue the entire book. For example, the media hypes the rule that a woman should not accept a date for Saturday after Wednesday. True, the book cites the theory that the woman who agrees to a last-minute date will enable a man to use her as a last resort for that weekend when the women he truly likes turn him down, and he is less likely to respect her because of it. However, the book also makes the valid point that a woman should be busy and fulfilled with hobbies outside of dating. Not only will this make her less desperate for a man, but she'll be more interesting to date because of her activities. Therefore, a woman should be active enough that she has at least a vague idea of other things to do for the weekend if the telephone does not ring by Thursday, so she'll be telling the truth
when she tells a guy who asks her on Saturday afternoon for a Saturday night date. Appropos to this, in college I was puzzled when some men in the dorms labled various women "Karen" even when their names were otherwise. Women got this title by being sure-thing dates when the women the men really wanted to date were busy, and "Karens" rarely got to meet a guy's parents. One day I learned why these females were called Karen. It rhymes with Guarantee. Read The Rules II.
on December 24, 1998
The Rules I & II are superb. This is no great piece of literature, mind you, but for someone who used to be a bit of a wild one who had as many broken hearts as she did adventures and didn't know why she couldn't get a commitment, I found these to be an inspritation of my life.
Picture yourself playing a game of tennis, only your opponent is on the other side of the court drinking lemonade while you make all the moves. You are great fun to watch for a while but after a bit, he gets up and walks off the court. You get upset, but realize that you were playing the game wrong-- you need to stay on your side of the court and hit the ball back, but he must also be sending the ball back. "The Opponent" can be your boyfriend, your mother, or your friends. You might really enjoy tennis, but you have to let the other person play, and if they don't, you need a partner who wants to hit the ball back. It is better to hit a ball against a wall or work out than it is to play both sides.
The Rules are about not needing someone in your life, and that if someone wants to be there, they will treat you well-- just as you will treat them well. People have to value each other, and we tend to take advantage of those who are too eager for us and vise verse.
The Rules keep you from doing all the work and of finding the people who really care for you. I don't buy the bunk that they turn you into the little lady who waits on her man-- they are about mutual respect.
on December 16, 2004
Plenty of women spout common and cliched criticisms of these books. Let's take a popular one: Men say that they like it when girls ask them out, call them, they're shy, etc etc. Well I'm sure that if you polled 100 men, a significant number of them would say that they like it when girls sleep with them on the first date. It probably won't take a book to tell you that men aren't going to marry these girls. Think this is an extreme analogy? Fine, but think about what you're saying before you claim that men like this and men say this. Also, men wouldn't be very popular if they said that they liked to pursue women, they like to pay, they want to be the one to make the first move. They probably would get burned at the feminist stake. And as far as being yourself and doing what you feel, would you "be yourself" on a job interview? And you might feel like slouching, but you know it's not good for you, even though it doesn't "feel natural" to sit up straight. And when you want to lose weight, you don't do what you feel, you get up off of the couch to jog and get small fries instead of supersized. I think that the real reason that there is such an outcry against this type of advice is because it is the hardest. It is SO hard not to call, and not to tell him how you feel, and not to rationalize his unromantic behaviors. But deal with your own issues instead of blindly raging against something that you clearly don't understand. Because if you did understand the Rules, truly understand them, you would be doing them.
44 comments|34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 1999
Call The Rules archaic, as they are. Call them manipulative as I did, all the while being used and manipulated by indecisive players. Finally, after another broken heart from another hedger, I picked The Rules up. I did not like the writing style of the authors, but I followed the ones that made sense to me. I now call The Rules *effective*, as I sit staring at the juicy 1.5K rock on my finger from a moral, intelligent, successful, handsome, kind man. If you've followed another path and had success, more power to you. I know what worked for me.
on July 24, 2004
Before I knew about The Rules (I or II) I was always a doormat, wasting years of my life and getting hurt in every relationship. I dated guys who didn't really care about me. I gave everything I could and they just kept taking. When The Rules was first publicized I scoffed and laughed at those "manipulative games" that "put women back 50 years" because I had a real relationship. I didn't need those silly rules. Then I got dumped and found out my boyfriend had been cheating on me for the past year. That real relationship I had, where I didn't need flowers or candy or nice dates left me with nothing but a broken heart. I admitted my way of dating wasn't working and decided to try The Rules. Now I'm happily married to a great guy. He's all I could ask for and he loves me for who I am. I didn't have to try to trap him or win his love. I was just me, did TR, and lived a happy life.

I recommend this book to any woman who is having relationship problems or wants to get married.

A few of us Rules Girls have started a relationship website/chat boards to help others: [...]

If you need relationship advice or just want to chat stop on by.
on August 21, 2003
The 1st book was way better, but this book gives you that extra knowledge that won't fit into that tiny 1st book. Still an excellent book. I can't thank these authors enough!
Here is part of an e-mail my friend wrote to me after borrowning my "Rules" books:
"I can NOT begin to tell you the difference I have noticed in the way men treat me already! I don't walk around "scouting" for men like I used to. I get where I'm going and I have things to do and people to see and you would not believe the guys who say hi. I feel better too. It really makes a difference!"
Now if that doesn't make you want to buy the book....
on December 23, 1998
on November 24, 2004
This series of books has gotten some bad press for advocating behavior strategies that could be interpreted as manipulative. Some of the tactics seem questionable (hence the 4 stars and not 5). However, if you go beyond the specifics and see The Rules in context I think that the authors' advice seems more palatable and appropriate.

I think that the core readership the authors want to appeal to are those women who give of their time, energy, bodies and souls too soon and too freely, only to get hurt. Some of these women behave this way primarily out of neediness. The "get a life, develop some hobbies, make time for your friends" advice is targeted at such women. There is an additional not-so-obvious target group for these books. The large contingent of smart women who extend the "go for it" approach that has served them well in other areas of their lives to convince a man to fall in love with them, can also save themselves a great deal of hair-pulling by heeding Fein and Schneider.

It seems to me that the authors are trying to get across the message that you cannot coerce someone to fall in love with you. You need to take things slow and wait for signs of definite interest before investing your precious self in a relationship with him. Rules II outlines the specifics you need to look for and be aware of before you make any kind of committment to a potential significant other.

Now an obvious question arises from this credo. What if HE too takes the responsive role in a relationship? The Rules authors counter this argument in the first book proclaiming that men who wait for the woman to take the first move continue this trend into the relationship. After reading The Rules books, I too have observed this. Fein and Schneider are very upfront about not having being trained in therapy; their book is purely based on anecdotal evidence. This commonsense (grandma?) psychology is surprisingly effective once you understand the spirit of what the authors are trying to convey and not get bogged down in their sometimes questionable tactics.