Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports STEM

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 324 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on August 25, 2000
Runaway Jury was an extremely good novel, engaging and intriguing from the very first page to the last. Nicholas Easter portrays a juror whose past is shrouded in mystery, with no traceable history whatsoever. Centering on a trial that pits the widow of a man who died of lung cancer versus the tobacco industry, Grisham weaves a tale of suspense and guile, a modern-day David and Goliath with a twist.
Easter has a hidden agenda for sitting in the jury box, and his mysterious past (or absence thereof) frustrates and puzzles the tobacco companies' jury analysts. As they dig further, it becomes apparent that Nicholas' presence on the jury is intended to sway the verdict, one way or another. His accomplice, Claire, is his contact on the outside, and together they play the game so very well...convincing Fitch that they will, for a fee, buy him the verdict for the Big Four's case.
You could say that the core issue of this novel was ripped from the headlines, wonderfully embellished upon. And, in my opinion, given a wonderful shove in the right direction (hey, who doesn't dream of going up against a big corporation, and be able to walk away victorious, thumbing one's nose at them?).
The scenarios and schemes that Nicholas and Claire have invented, and put into effect are at times humorous, risky, and absolutely thrilling. The final twist of the knife at the end is poetic justice, as Nicholas and Claire's motives are finally revealed.
I was really pleased with this book, reading at a near-nonstop pace. On a personal note, the details about the dangers of smoking concerned me greatly, as I too, am a smoker...made me think twice about picking up that next cigarette. I still did, but with a greater knowledge about what I was doing.
Runaway Jury is a great read, better than some of his books.
Peace Out
on June 7, 2000
This book is on of the best I have ever read and it is contending as the best. I counldn't put it down. I read the last 300 pages in one night. It was the best law thriller I have ever read in my life.
It is about a juror who knows the law and tries to sway the jury. I am not going to get into details but a widow is suing a tobacco company because her husband got addicted and died of lung cancer.
I loved it and could not put it down. Do not start it unless you have a lot of time to read.
on February 1, 2000
I was shocked that I could enjoy a Grisham book as much as I did this one. (I have never been able to get past the first chapter of any of this others.) This seems to be his truly radical book - the one he wrote with real passion because someone he knew died of cancer and his hatred burned so bright for the tobacco companies that he actually wrote a flowing, textured work.
My own mother died of lung cancer at the untimely age of forty-eight (she started smoking at thirteen). This book took me back to that terrible experience. Indeed, if this book had come out twenty years ago, when she died, I might have sued the tobacco company whose cigarettes she smoked. I was in my mid-twenties and I have never never gotten over her painful and unneccessary death.
Is this book too radical for the movies? I haven't heard that it was going to be produced. It should be. It would make a dynamite film; imagining who would play the various parts was half the fun of the novel.
on November 26, 2002
This book was captivating. A vivid light is cast on the legal system making this less an action book and more a thinking book. Very enjoyable. Another classic John Grisham in which the drama is nail biting and riveting right to the end. Believe me, you will not put this book down until you've read it front to back. Although it wasn't as intense as the "Client" or "The Rainmaker", it will keep you interested.
on August 1, 2015
I had not read a John Grisham book for some years. I had always enjoyed his books, so I decided to give The Runaway Jury a go. I found the theme interesting and it fitted in with what has happened in recent times in the battle between the suppliers of cigarettes, trying to keep their products going, against the anti smoking lobby. The characters in this book were interesting, and all the side stories related to them gave the theme a big lift. Grisham keeps things going at a good pace, with plenty of surprises, laughs and interest. I enjoyed the book very much, and I will be on the look out for another book by this author.
on May 13, 2003
My only prior exposure to John Grisham was his movies. The Rainmaker is one of my favorite movies along with The Client. After reading a description of The Runaway Jury, it sounded interesting and so I gave it a shot. I finished the book cover-to-cover in 5 days (and I work full time!!).
The book mainly revolves around a large trial in the south involving the four largest tobacco manufacturers versus the widow of a man who died of lung cancer due to 30 years of smoking. Concerning the entire topic of smoking, Grisham does get rather preachy at certain points, blatantly pointing out his views about the subject, but I managed easily to look beyond that.
In this jury trial, something has gone wrong. The jury is being manipulated from the inside and neither the defense nor the prosecution can figure out how it's being done and who is doing it. This book is a page turner and very suspensful. It also plays on the "normal average joe winning the lottery" type situation (albeit after manipulating the lottery) that most people dream about. It's a great book that most people can relate to with characters that you really get to know. That is one of Grisham's greatest successes with this book. The ability to have his readers get to know his characters personally to the point where you really care what they are going through.
I highly recommend this book to Grisham fans, as well as those who have never read his books. It's a great way to jump in to the genre of legal thrillers.
on June 28, 2016
Easily one of my favorite books I've ever read. One of the few I've read over and over again - just a great plot line, and in typical Grisham fashion, strong details and enough action to keep you hooked.

While the movie in and of itself wasn't too bad, the book was excellent!
on November 12, 2015
Can't remember in which person the book was narrated, but it was excellent. Had seen the movie so it wasn't terribly a surprise; still enjoyed reading as the author gives such a gripping description of events and background. He's one of the best authors around. Excellent.
on October 6, 2013
This is a very fascinating John Grisham book. If you've seen the film but have yet to read the novel, READ THE BOOK!!! It's very different from the movie, with the book about tobacco litigation rather than guns, which have yet to be the subject of successful litigation. The characters are very well developed and Grisham manages to make them not only interesting, but at times hilarious. The book is very fast paced and really hard to put down. A wonderful read and a great film as well!!!
on April 19, 2016
Typical Grisham reading...problem is; as a bedtime reader, Grisham always keeps me up too late...don't want to stop reading on into the night. His ability to hold his audience grows with each of his works. Ludlum with a 'at the Bar' twist.