5.0 out of 5 stars The Runaway Pumpkin Rolls Over With Delight
I get a kick out of this tasty Halloween treat. The three Baxter children happen upon a huge pumpkin and the boy Baxters promptly try to remove the pumpkin from its perch.

The pumpkin rolls down a hill and right through town.

Round and 'round across the ground
Makin a thumpin' bumpin' sound
Came that thumpety bumpety thumpin' bumpin'...
Published on October 23, 2007 by 80sLady

3.0 out of 5 stars Got this for a school lesson plan
I got this book for a pre-k lesson plan, but I don't think it is developmentally appropriate.
My kids at home thought it was funny, I still don't get it.
Published on December 8, 2012 by L. Campos

5.0 out of 5 stars The Runaway Pumpkin Rolls Over With Delight, October 23, 2007
This review is from: The Runaway Pumpkin (Paperback)

The pumpkin rolls down a hill and right through town.

Round and 'round across the ground
Makin a thumpin' bumpin' sound
Came that thumpety bumpety thumpin' bumpin'
Round and Rolly Runaway Pumpkin

The pumpkin knocks over Momma Baxter and Grandpa Baxter. It is just about to mow down Poppa Baxter when Dad comes up with an idea to make a pumpkin bed and cleverly catches the pumpkin.

Throughout the story, each Baxter family member has designs on things they would like to do or make with a pumpkin (pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin soup). In the end, Grandma Baxter makes all of the family members favorite pumpkin recipe and the centerpiece contains the rest of the huge pumpkin, nicely carved into a jack-o-lantern.

5.0 out of 5 stars so funny!, September 19, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Runaway Pumpkin (Hardcover)
My three year old and I just laugh and laugh when we read this book. It is especially funny read in a southern accent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun & Entertaining!, October 18, 2006
This review is from: The Runaway Pumpkin (Hardcover)
I am thrilled to have stumbled upon this terrific tale. The pulse is addictive, so much so I find myself humming it hours later. The illustrations captivate the eye with rich, and humorous details. For instance, when the pumpkin rolls through the chicken coup and knocks Grandpa on his hinny, a chicken finds refuge on top of his head and lays an egg. This makes my son laugh every time.

Additionally, when the monstrous pumpkin rolls through the different vistas, one would think the family members might be alarmed, and concerned for their safety, but they're all thinking about the delights Granny will make from the squash. Each has a thought bubble above his head with visions of Granny's pumpkin pie, pumpkin soup, or pumpkin bread. We love this book, and so will you.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of our very favorites, October 17, 2006
This review is from: The Runaway Pumpkin (Hardcover)
This has been a family favorite since my then-4-year-old picked it up at the library two years ago. We love to read it out loud -- the "thumpin' bumpin" part is so much fun to repeat -- and also search the pictures for funny bits we missed in previous readings. By now I've read it so many times I could recite it without looking, and I'd still enjoy the clever rhymes. Every fall we invite our local kindergarten kids out to our farm for a hayride and a show-and-tell learning session concerning how corn, pumpkins, and calves grow. The first year I yanked out this book as a time filler, just in case the buses didn't show up in time or the second wagonload took longer than we expected... and it was an enormous hit. So now we read it every year, and it's still a highlight of the trip.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pumpkin pie, pumpkin soup, pumpkin bread...., September 27, 2014
This review is from: The Runaway Pumpkin (Paperback)
One Halloween morning, the three Baxter kids climbed the hill near their town.

"And there, upon that hillside,
growing orange, fat and fine,
the budding Baxters found a pumpkin
on a twisty, twirly vine."

While their sister watched, the Baxter boys snapped off that monster pumpkin from the vine at the top of the hill. But they didn't expect what happened next. Oh, no! It's a runaway pumpkin!

S. D. Schindler's illustrations are hilarious as the pumpkin bounces and bumps its way through the pigsty and the chicken coop, until it lands with a plop right in Poppa Baxter's plowed field. A rhythmic read-aloud picture book for ages 2-5.

5.0 out of 5 stars The refrain in this book is addictive! Little one's love it!, October 24, 2007
Fronklowes (Joplin, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Runaway Pumpkin (Hardcover)
This is a fun, rhythmic, rhyming story about a big pumpkin on the loose. "'Round and 'round across the ground makin' a thumpin' bumpin' sound came that thumpety, bumpety, thumpin' bumpin' round and roll-y RUNAWAY PUMPKIN!"

My two year olds like it for the rhythm and funny pictures. It's a good book to have them practice predicting what might happen next in the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Children's Book, October 2, 2007
This review is from: The Runaway Pumpkin (Hardcover)
I have an infant son that is now 11 months old and we read to him every day. This is the only book of his that I don't get tired of reading. It has a great flow, wonderful illustrations and he smiles every time we get to the tongue twister "chorus" of the book. I will definitely buy more of this author's books!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!, October 26, 2011
This review is from: The Runaway Pumpkin (Paperback)
This is my favorite kids book. I read it at a friends cabin one day, fell in love with it & bought 5 copies to make sure all my siblings had it for their kids too. I have read it in school every Halloween for the last 4 years, in my daughters classes. Adorable, rhythmic & fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars such a wonderful book, November 5, 2006
This review is from: The Runaway Pumpkin (Paperback)
I gave this book as a gift to all of the children I know for Halloween. I read it to each of my twins over and over again. They love it and so do I. I never get tired of it : )

5.0 out of 5 stars An October tradition, September 16, 2007
This review is from: The Runaway Pumpkin (Hardcover)
We purchased this book a couple of year ago in paperback. I drag it out every October and read it to my girls. It has been a much loved book, so much that we are replacing the well used paperback with a hardcover and ordered an additional one for our friends two little girls. We hope they enjoy this book as much as we have. We are looking forward to another "thumpin, bumpin" October.

The Runaway Pumpkin
The Runaway Pumpkin by Kevin Lewis (Hardcover - September 1, 2003)
Used & New from: $1.56