Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 24, 2000
I love this book! Part first aid, part do it yourself podiatry. Learn to diagnose and treat running injuries. Shin splints, stress fractures, they cover it all. Then, learn to diagnose and treat the underlying problems.
Everything is clear and practical. Weak arches? Here's how to tape your feet to support them. Need heel cushioning? Use makeup sponges.
This is a must for anyone who runs hard. By learning to diagnose and treat yourself, you'll prevent injuries and improve as a runner.
--Pat / zippy@cs.brandeis.edu
on October 20, 2003
The most comprehensive book in terms of foot related injuries & pain. Problems are discussed & practical solutions are offered.
Unfortunately, it recommends full sit-ups vs back-friendly crunches & it doesn't sufficiently address iliotibial band syndrome - a very common problem for runners.
on December 16, 1999
I was first given this book as a gift when I was a teenager, and I found it to be an invaluable reference for understanding the physiology of various injuries as well as what contributed to the injuries. At times, the oft-repeated mantra of "rest, ice, compression, and elevation" gets old, but it really is on the mark.
This book belongs in every distance runner's library, together with Coe's Better Training for Distance Runners.
on March 27, 2013
This was a big disappointment. I bought it because I saw a recommendation for it after I had an injury from running. I felt the author left key information out of the book. He never even mentions the peroneal tendons (tendons that run under the ankle to the outside of the foot and also to the big toe, and manage the stability of your steps) ... of which I have huge issues with. He also glosses over the condition of supponation, and how to handle it. (Basically doesn't discuss it at all) I felt I knew more about this than the author. Also, he recommends running with a heal strike first. I know there is a lot of disagreement on this, but as an advocate of chi-running, heal strike seems to cause bad form and injuries. I wish I could return it. :(
on March 23, 2014
This book lists very systematically all (or most) injuries that runners might suffer, and offers explanations and remedies for each of them, as well as guidelines for avoiding such injuries. Whether you are a seasoned runner or a novice - but especially if you are a novice! - you would do well to have a look at this book, it may save you quite a bit of suffering. I had a couple of other books dealing with the subject, and after getting this one, I never looked at them again. A very well-organized, clearly written book. I would recommend it to any runner.
on July 28, 2012
I started reading this book in hopes of learning something new but found information that is totally out of date, almost useless and incorrect. There are much better books on running. Don't waste you money on this book.
on February 28, 2015
Simply the best book on runner's injuries that I have even seen. It is true that it has not been updated in several decades, but it worked when it came out, and it works now. I have run and raced every distance from a mile to a hundred miles in the last 30 years. Consequently, I have had a lot of injuries. This book has always been very good in pointing out the problems and giving good solutions. I have helped many of my running friends throughout the years with the advice from this book. I lost it several years ago and when my son got into competitive running he started having injuries. I bought the book again and he has found it as helpful as I did.
on February 9, 2011
This is a very helpful book for runners. I bought it in 1982 when I was doing triathlons and I have consulted it many times in the intervening years and especially recently now that I'm in my 50s and returned to serious running. This book is 31 years old and therefore it desperately requires an update with the latest medical and scientific research plus current training and physiotherapy best practice. My suggestion is that Dr Weisenfeld and Ms Burr team up with someone like Jeff Galloway plus a sports physiotherapist to make this The Necessary Book for every runner's bookshelf!
on July 28, 2013
This book gives some great guidance for runners who are having pain most anywhere. I had knee and shin splint problems and with the book I was able to cure both. The exercises it shows target week muscle groups and the exercise is easy to do and the results are hard to believe. I was able to get rid of two knee braces and keep on running free of knee pain. Great book.
Ron of Pensacola, Fl.
on March 13, 2003
I bought this book at a race expo many years ago, and it is the most widely used running book I have. It is clearly written and easy to understand. The advice is practical and non technical--and it works! I have lent this book to many of my running buddies who have had aches and pains, and I have used the book a lot myself. In fact, I am ordering a second copy that I can keep for myself since more often than not, when I need it, someone has borrowed it. I strongly recommend this book for anyone who runs.