‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rusty, Trusty Tractor, February 5, 2000
psttour (Kooskia, Idaho) - See all my reviews
Joy Cowley's new book has at its core a strong message about ties that bind and relationships that last a lifetime. Granpappy and grandson Micah are approached by Mr. Hill of Hill's Tractor Sales with a tempting offer to buy a shiny new tractor. But Granpappy has farmed using his rusty but trusty tractor, ever since his old plow horse died. There is no way the old tractor should last another season, and Mr. Hill even bets 20 jelly donuts (one for every acre Granpappy plants in hay) that it will break down before the end of the summer. It doesn't. Mr. Hill pays up, and in a humorous conclusion that ol' rusty tractor even rescues Mr. Hill when he's bogged down in mud. This book is a lovely story about valuing people and things for their true worth, not their looks. All children are tempted by the "new," especially when it's bright and shiny and offers all the bells and whistles. But just as Granpappy cares for Micah and for the land, he cares lovingly for his old but reliable tractor. When he burdens it with nearly impossible chores, he talks to it and coaxes it to perform. The language of the story is just as delightful as the message. It is perfect for read-alouds or storytime. The characters come to life with their dialogue ("Wang-a-dang, sir! You got more good luck than a hound dog in a butcher's shop!"). I recommend this book 100% for young readers and non-readers. The illustrations are lovely, with the old-fashioned farm warmly created in glowing tones. Joy Cowley has created another wonderful story!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rusty, Trusty Tractor, November 12, 2000
Susan Southwick (Georgia, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rusty, Trusty Tractor (Paperback)
This book is a very nice book for keeping children aware of the fact that sometimes "old is best" and maybe more reliable in some cases. Also it teaches that you don't have to have everything new in life to be happy. The relationship between the boy and his grandfather is wonderful. My 5 year old grandson is well aware of these facts, and this book reinforced these feelings. Thank you for a well-written children's book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, especially if your little one LOVES tractors!, August 26, 2005
Boy, is this a cute book! Little Micah and his grandfather are constantly being bugged by a pesky salesman who laughs when he first sees grandpappy's rusty old tractor. The salesman, Mr. Hill, swears that the old thing won't make it another season and begs grandpappy to come on down and look at his new tractors. It's quite funny to see how grandpappy has an answer for eac one of Hill's sales pitches, i.e. "this one has air conditioning," said Mr. Hill. "Mine has air conditioning," said Grandpappy. "When the air gets a little fresh, I just put on a jacket." Hill eventually bets Grandpappy a jelly donut for each acre grandpappy farms with the old tractor. He makes it through and teaches Micah a lesson about being true to your friends. Grandpappy calls the old tractor his friend and sticks by it through and through. Pretty funny ending too - Hill has to be pulled out of the mud by the old tractor!

What's also neat is that although she lives in New Zealand, the author nicely captured the "farmer slang" in this book. It's very well written and very entertaining, especially if you have a "tractor boy" in your house. There's a photo of each brand of tractor too on the beginning pages and it's fun to see if they can name them all. Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rusty, Trusty Tractor, September 19, 2001
Great book according to my 2 year old son! I have to agree with him but probably our reasons differ -- he loves the colorful, fun pictures of tractors, a small boy and his grandfather's farm. The story is not his main draw yet although it does keep him listening. I love the idea presented by the author that an old tractor has value and is maybe even worth more than a newer piece of farm equipment. It's one of those stories with a moral that doesn't scream "Important! Moral Ahead!"

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Rusty, Trusty Tractor" by Joy Cowley, March 24, 2000
By A Customer
Humble thanks to Cowley for a heartwarming story of truth and purity in relationships. Standing ovation to Dunrea for the perfection in illustrations and attention to realistic detail. We live in farm country and our ranch is full of the tractors of which dwell within these pages. Everything about this book is awesome!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, July 26, 2004
I enjoy reading this book to my son. I can't help but read it in a southern accent. I love the way the book it written with southern sayings like wang-a-dang. Good book about friendship, loyalty and trust.

5.0 out of 5 stars friends can be found in unlikely places, August 19, 2005
This review is from: The Rusty, Trusty Tractor (Paperback)
In this story, a small boy watches as his grandfather steadfastly refuses the overtures of a new tractor salesman who claims that their rusty old tractor won't make it through another season. As Micah gets caught up in the world of new shiny tractors at the showroom, he too starts to hint that perhaps they should replace their old one. But Granpappy stands firm, saying "this is my old friend, and friends don't let each other down. You remember that." Throughout the plowing, planting, mowing, and baling of the hay, Micah watches Granpappy treat his fifty-year old tractor with kindness and respect, talking to it and whistling songs and - even though "plain and simple, no way is that tractor going to tow a hay baler" - the old tractor comes through. The enduring children's book theme of the power of friendship here receives a new unexpected treatment and the results are outstanding. The farm equipment theme immediately got my daughter more interested in farming and she began to ask questions too about construction equipment. This book is a wonderful, warm addition to any child's library with uses in any unit about friendship, the seasons, or farming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learned A Great Lesson!, September 17, 2005
Jennifer "Mom Of One" (Florence, KY United States) - See all my reviews
I didn't think I would learn a lesson by reading this book to my son but I did! I sell Highlights-Jigsaw and this is one of the books we sell so I got it for my kit and to share it with my son. I was pleasantly surprised with the storyline as well as the illustrations.

It is about a farmer, his old but reliable tractor, the farmers grandson, and an over eager tractor salesman. The salesman tries as hard as he can to sell the farmer a brand new shiny tractor and even has the farmers grandson on his side. But no matter what he says the farmer sticks with his old tractor saying it was his old friend and "friends don't let each other down". In the end the saleman loses a bet he makes with the farmer and needs the farmer and his tractor to help him out of a mess.

In this day and age when NEW is better than OLD this book can help teach us all a lesson; just because something has lost it's shine does not make it less useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars A cute story that teaches a valuable lesson., August 18, 2009
I got this book for my three year old son who loves tractors. We have a farm and this book was perfect for us !

The story is rather LONG for a three year old, but the story is endearing and teaches a valuable lesson. Shiny and new is not always better than old and trustworthy and friends don't let friends down.

The illustrations are wonderful. My whole family has enjoyed this book. We own three real "Rusty Trusty Tractors" and now my son and daughter understand why we fix what we have, and don't run out and buy something new every time we have a problem.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves farming, tractors, and country life.

4.0 out of 5 stars a book about loyalty, October 3, 2001
By A Customer
This is a fun book for anyone who loves tractors. But it is more than that--it illustrates the bond of loyalty in a way children can relate to. Micah and his Grandpappy are approached by a tractor dealership owner about replacing Grandpappy's rusty, old tractor with one of his new, feature-loaded, electronic models. Grandpappy is not so sure about the new ones, said his faithful old tractor has served him well and he would wager on getting through this season with it. The tractor salesman is stubborn and makes Grandpappy a deal--what happens next isn't what you might think!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Rusty, Trusty Tractor
The Rusty, Trusty Tractor by Joy Cowley (Paperback - February 1, 2000)
$9.95 $9.72