5.0 out of 5 stars Probably The Best Book Ever Written On Local Advertising
If you had to choose only one book on advertising, take it from me, this one is it.
I think this book should be on the shelf and in the hands of every business owner who uses local media. There isn't anything close to this information from anything I've read. It's more than common sense, it's crucial sense.
If you pair this with the copy ideas of Roy Williams...
Published on January 26, 2000 by Marty Mehan, PA

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth your time or money!
This book is so horribly outdated that it is a joke. If you want to know how marketing worked in the 80s, then this book is for you! If you have no idea what the Yellow Pages are, then this book is for you! Duct Tape Marketing is much, much better.
Published on December 9, 2010 by Ryan C. Young

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably The Best Book Ever Written On Local Advertising, January 26, 2000
Marty Mehan, PA (Riverside, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 33 Ruthless Rules of Local Advertising (Paperback)
If you pair this with the copy ideas of Roy Williams (The Wizard of Ads) you'll have the most important references available today for advertisers. Not since "Positioning" has there been a more powerful look at how to make advertising work; what to do, what to avoid doing.
I have made many mistakes common to most advertisers and I now understand why Michael Corbett says over 90% of local advertisers are not happy with their results. If I only had this information 20 years ago I'd have saved myself countless wasted dollars. If you have anything to do with advertising, selling it, buying it, teaching it, and you don't have this book....you have an impotent advertising arsenal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read This Book Before Your Competition Does!, November 19, 2003
D. DeBruler "writer4life" (Fayetteville, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 33 Ruthless Rules of Local Advertising (Paperback)
This book is almost too good to share. If you're a business owner, you won't want to talk about it at those Chamber of Commerce meetings - or anywhere else your competitors are hanging out!
I write local advertising copy everyday, and what Michael Corbett provides as answers in "33 Ruthless Rules...", are the questions every media sales representative should be asking potential clients. In turn, if local business managers put these 33 Rules into practice, they'll know what what want, when they want it, and how to get it from their local advertising plan. In less than 200 easy-to-read pages, you'll discover all you need to gain and strengthen your grip on any local market.
This book should be required reading for Marketing Students, Media Sales Reps, and definitely for local business owners and managers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Handbook for local Advertisers, June 10, 2000
This review is from: The 33 Ruthless Rules of Local Advertising (Paperback)
This book is an excellent resource for any business owner. The authors give you a step by step approach to advertising, including how to choose the right medium and what information should be included in your ads. Also, they give you solid advice on the elements you need in your total marketing plan. If you follow the advice in this book your business will be a success.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Turned My Advertising Around With This Book., May 31, 1999
This review is from: The 33 Ruthless Rules of Local Advertising (Paperback)
After having read the 33 Rules, I now know of at least 33 ways to avoid some common mistakes when advertising my business. I never imagined there could be a book so closely related to my own advertising experience. Most of that experience had been erratic, at best, but no more. My results are steady for the first time and my growth is phenomenal. This is the best book I've ever read on the subject (there aren't too many good ones)and I'd recommend it to anyone but my competitors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Readily Applicable, February 25, 2005
This review is from: The 33 Ruthless Rules of Local Advertising (Paperback)
The great thing about this book is how directly the author gets to the point. It's a small book, but loaded with punch. The rules are simply that, rules. There isn't a lot of theory here. It's all about things you can do to make your business's marketing more effective. This is a fantastic resource that I'm sure I will refer to again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkably good book that could save you years of effort, May 31, 2003
By A Customer
I've been successful in several small businesses, and this guy is right on the money. I've learned the hard way (wasting money, trying to do my own thing) and I've learned the easy way (books, seminars, studying "doers"). Let me tell you--this book could possibly save you YEARS of time. The author clearly knows what he is talking about, and I can confirm this from my own experience. You will NOT be disappointed reading and applying the advice given in this book. I've bought so many useless "theory" books over the years, it's nice to run across something that has some excellent, solid advice in it. Get this one, apply what you learn, and watch your business take off.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent resource for non-professionals., September 16, 1998
By A Customer
Corbett provides an excellent resource for non-professionals. He does well in defining and explaining the 33 rules. Anyone aspiring to be in business should be able to comprehend and apply the concepts of the book. There is no random jargon. More importantly, Corbett does not talk down to readers. He conveys an impression of competence and a (lesser) degree of caring.
The same brevity that contributes heavily to the book's clarity has one negative side effect. There are times when added detail might help. For example, more research data would make it easier to understand why some words are useless cliches` while their synonyms are effective motivating terms. For most readers, the author's word is likely to be enough. Others will want to make their own determination as to the effectiveness of words like "value" and "benefit" or "price" and "improved."
As might be expected, some of them are much less relevant than others. That fact in no way diminishes the value of those that do apply to the reader's situation. Actually, most concepts support or complement some other rule.
Given the intended audience, the flaws are inconsequential. The 33 rules help readers level the playing field. It is very likely this book has and will make the crucial difference that allows some entrepreneurs to succeed while others fail.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for buyers and sellers of media., June 13, 1998
By A Customer
This book is easy to read and you can put it to use with the first chapter. Everyone who has any experience buying or selling media should read this and live by it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book Ever Written for Small Business Owners, October 20, 2004
This review is from: The 33 Ruthless Rules of Local Advertising (Paperback)
I have been in advertising for over 30 years and I can tell you that this is the best book I have ever read on the subject, and believe me, I've read them all. I first read this book in 1995 and immediately bought a case of the 33 Rules to give to my clients. The clients that read the book and followed the 33 Rules enjoyed tremendous sales increases. They say it was the best gift they had ever received. Especially powerful are what the authors call the Real Issues, such as how to develop a specific growth objective and a system for holding your advertising expenditures absolutley accountable. My advice, read the book, follow the rules and watch your sales grow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Gold. A Must-Have Local Ad Sales reference book., September 18, 1998
By A Customer
A clear, concise summary of local advertising philosophy. My copy usually sits right next to my copy of "Elements of Style." I've purchased this book twice already...and lent them both out to clients, who've each asked to keep it. My third copy will not leave my desk.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The 33 Ruthless Rules of Local Advertising
The 33 Ruthless Rules of Local Advertising by Michael Corbett (Paperback - January 1, 1999)
$14.95 $11.70