5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent planning tool for complex service sales.
Published on January 30, 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, but too easy after reading SPIN Selling
I bought this book together with SPIN Selling. I read the Fieldbook after reading SPIN Selling. If you've already read SPIN Selling, this book is not going to tell you much new things.

If you would read the Fieldbook instead of SPIN Selling, then I think the Fieldbook is not thorough enough, at least if you compare it to SPIN Selling.

In general I...
Published on August 8, 2006 by A. W. Tulp

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent planning tool for complex service sales., January 30, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: The SPIN Selling Fieldbook: Practical Tools, Methods, Exercises, and Resources (Paperback)
This is an excellent primer for the new sales consultant trying to sell complex, technology services which are mostly intangible. An excellent planning guide for each sales call in a lengthly sales process. This book has helped me understand how to plan to advance each sale by preparing questions that enable the customer to determine what he needs and why. If you want to get organized, develop sales call plans that work and win more new business with fewer objections, try this easy-to-read field book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, September 29, 2002
Damon (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I don't sell, but I set appointments for salesmen and I've had a limited amount of success by using the techniques in this book. I admit though I'm new to the Spin Selling technique and have used it only for a month. The book shows you a way of dealing with what are commonly called "stalls" in sales terminology and how to convert those stalls into sales or moving the sale one step forward with a face to face meeting with the prospect. When I say "limited amount of succes", I mean that although I'm setting the same amount of appointments, my sales have gone up. I might have even dropped in appointments but still the sales went up. The book provides exercises through which you ask yourself questions that focus on how your product can solve your customers' needs and on questions you ask your customers to make them desire your product. You have to do all the work. There is no secret to sales and the spin selling fieldbook will give you the foundation from which you can build a career in sales.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best books ever about the sales process, June 24, 1999
By A Customer
This book is right on the mark for all types of selling. Very professionally done and the technique is just what is needed in today's markets. All my reps are advised to read and use the work book. It is our primary training aid for all registered reps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give people what that WANT then they will sell themselves!, October 24, 1997
By A Customer
If your sick and tired of being sick and tired being rejected over and over again then maybe your trying to sell thru telling and persuading. SPIN SELLING lets the client see what their needs are through their eyes. This book will turn your prospects around especially on major accounts one hundred and eighty degrees!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, but too easy after reading SPIN Selling, August 8, 2006
A. W. Tulp "Jan Willem Tulp" (Rotterdam, Zuid Holland Netherlands) - See all my reviews

In general I think the audience of this book is perhaps college students, or clever highschool students, but not really experienced salespeople. Maybe that's also because of the cartoons every now and then which make the book look like it's meant for younger people.

What I expected when I bought both books was that the Fieldbook offerd some transcriptions of salescalls, and an explanation of why certain aspects are wrong and how this could be improved using SPIN Selling. This was not really the case, it was more like a simple summary of SPIN Selling. So not really the Fieldbook I expected.

Anyway, the book is not bad, but I would not recommend to buy both SPIN Selling and the Fieldbook together. Also, if you're a serious and experienced salesperson I would recommend SPIN Selling. If you're new to sales or if you're still in college, I would recommend the Fieldbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will help you determine how serious you are about achieving sales success, December 21, 2007
Mike (San Jose, CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This book is a 206 page powerhouse, but I want to direct you to pages 50 and 51:

"The Good News"...

"The good news is that the Spin model has proved to be a versatile sales tool, works across cultures, applies across industries, is equally applicable to selling services or products."

"The Bad News"...

"Our one million users would tell you in one voice: It's a lot harder than it seems. SPIN isn't a magic pill that you can take and turn yourself into an instant sales success. It's hard work. One of the immutable laws of business is that there's always a link between risk and reward. The more rewarding the outcome, the tougher it is to obtain. If SPIN questions were simple and automatic, then everyone would be using them already, and there would be no competitive advantage from the model. "

So there you have it. You will not only have to learn the basic principles of SPIN (Situation - Problem - Implication - Need Payoff), you will also have to personalize these principles into a game plan for each prospect, current customer, former customer...

...and in doing so you will be ahead of the curve. You'll be far down the road from the people who are still fumbling around for a "simple and automatic" approach. You will find few books on sales that are as honest as this one. Author Neil Rackham hands you a powerful set of tools, but make no mistake about it: your success will come entirely from what you choose to do with them. VERY highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Here is one path breaking book with a totally new concepts !!, September 20, 2005
I have always belived that Ziglars & Hopkins are not effective in Industrial marketing.

There are very few books available in Industrial selling or B to B selling & still very few books with some kind of research as a backing on what is written in the book.

Here is one path breaking book with a totally new concepts & approach. I think its worth investing in this book. The concept written in the book are backed by RESEARCH. This book will change your view about questioning (open & closed).

I would also recommend The SPIN Selling Fieldbook (sequel to Spin Selling). Field book reinforces the concept you learn in SPIN SELLING. I like this book because for the first time somebody has differentiated between one time selling & repeat selling (industrial marketing is infact repeat selling).

I also recommend two books Conceptual Selling & Strategic Selling written by Stephen E. Heiman. & Let's get Real by Mahan Khalsa

5.0 out of 5 stars Spin Selling Fieldbook, April 7, 2006
I use this book to train new salespeople on the SPIN selling method. I originally was trained on this years ago with Xerox. I like the fieldbook approach because the salespeople can focus on real world scenarios with our products and our customers. We break it up into 2-3 chapter segments and hold a working lunch to discuss the content and the assignments.

Highly recommended for sales managers and staff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Selling Toolkit, September 27, 2005
This is a top notch tool for training on SPIN selling. The workbook method helps the training stick.

5.0 out of 5 stars SPIN Selling Fieldbook, May 23, 2011
Neil Rackham has taken the concept of solution based or consultative based sale approach and makes it a workable exercise in this Fieldbook. This is a salespersons guidebook for learning to put the principles of the SPIN Selling method into practice using examples, exercises, and illustrations. This manual is a step by step application guide to the SPIN (Situation, Problem, Implication, Need-payoff) sells strategy. These practical exercises helped me see the vast difference in the sales method I'd used for years, prospecting by referral, followed by a sales presentation loaded with facts and illustrations of features and advantages of my product vs. a competitor's product, qualifying questions and a soft close. This Fieldbook is a hands-on learning tool, an application manual for real world solution selling. This use of the SPIN Selling Fieldbook helped me double my business in commercial building lighting control systems last year.

The SPIN Selling Fieldbook: Practical Tools, Methods, Exercises, and Resources