Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on Tikes

on September 30, 2005
There have been a few books written in the last 10 years about the Sabian Symbols. Though each, in its own way, has relied on the genius of their creator, Marc Edmund Jones, several have liberally modified, "corrected" or altered the Jones symbol wording.

Enter "The Sabian Symbols & Astrological Analysis: The Original Symbols Fully Revealed" by Blain Bovee, a beautifully written look at the Sabian Symbols and their practical application as an illuminating tool in astrological analysis. Here is a book that brings Sabian symbol research to a new professional level. Bovee has chosen to work with the words of Marc Edmund Jones, noting that "Any alteration whatsoever risks deflecting the original genius of the Sabian Symbols, risks distorting, through interpretive assumptions, the intuitive integrity of how the Sabian Symbols came to be. I have discovered that the Sabian Symbols are richer and more internally consistent when the original wording is honored".

I highly recommend this book for several reasons. It is professional, fully attributed, erudite yet poetically sensitive. It has everything needed for practical application and advancement of understanding of the symbols. Bovee has organized the book in opposing symbol format which invites the reader to experience the interweaving of themes and shared motifs so important to a full illumination of the symbols. He also incorporates the fivefold cycle corresponding to five aspect relationships in astrology into his interpretations noting that through this cycle "one can easily detect an unfolding story, an unfolding of general themes throughout the text of consecutive degree-pairs". And, at last, here is a book that incorporates quick reference guides, one for the symbols themselves and one for useful keywords from both Jones and Bovee, both easily accessible at the back of the book making it very easy to use for practical purposes.

This is the must have book, whether you want to learn more about the Sabian Symbols as a practical tool for chart analysis or you just want to read for the sheer pleasure of enjoying the symbols for their own sake, and far outshines anything else that I have read. Bovee is a gifted writer whose work on the Sabian Symbols will surely stand the test of time. He deftly captures the essence of the symbols while leaving plenty of room for the reader to open to his or her own interpretations. His exploration of the meanings and background of the words held within each of the original symbols and his ability to take us on a journey through these beautiful symbols is unsurpassed. He intelligently, poetically and cogently demonstrates that they need no alteration or changes and are invaluable as presented by their originator. Bovee's book truly honours both the wonderful original symbols and the genius of Mark Edmund Jones.
on March 21, 2005
I recently heard Blain Bovee quote Ralph Waldo Emerson--"Every word was once a poem". Reading Blain's book indulges the mind's need to infuse magic into words--as with poetry. I work as a professional astrologer,and I use this book daily. The language, his exploration of significant words used in each of the Symbol pairs opens up great possibility for the use of the Sabian Symbols. As an example, last week I prepared an electional chart for a weblaunch. When I had gotten it just right, I checked the Ascendant degree for its Sabian Symbol. The words for that particular degree unfolded the chart I had prepared so eloquently It took my breath away! This is a book for every astrologer's library--especially that part of the library that is within an arm's reach!
on March 20, 2005
"Besides guiding us carefully through the etymological backdrop of words, fine-tuning the incredible references that came out of the dark to Elsie Wheeler and Marc Edmund Jones, Bovee shows a style of relating symbolisms to personal awareness ... by following Bovee's lead-in, we learn large gulps of knowledge with every symbolism we study." Noel Tyl on "The Sabian Symbols & Astrological Analysis".
Astrology is the universal language of life and Blain Bovee's masterful work strikes at the very heart of our language, prompting us to spiral to even greater heights in our understanding and interpretation.
As the leaves of this book unfold, like the graceful and delicate petals of a lotus blossom each page leads us to the inner hidden beauty of a symbol's bloom like never before.
This rare, erudite and eminently practical masterpiece sets a whole new standard in current research and literature on the Sabian Symbols - indeed, it is the new classic, an essential "must have" for both aspiring and practicing astrologers, and in fact any individual pursuing a path of enlightenment.
For the first time Mr Bovee fully reveals how the inner dynamics of the symbols relate to one another cohesively within the astrological matrix, offering a practical process for applying the symbols to horoscope interpretation.
An accomplishment achieved only through his clearly demonstrated commitment to presenting the "original symbols" intact and holding to their essential and central truths that express universal themes of human collective thought throughout time - rather than the corrected, expanded, interpretively enhanced versions of others.
Be prepared ... your astrological skills will be rapidly and profoundly accelerated inspiring a newfound appreciation, insight and respect for the horoscope as a whole. Mine were, and this book is now my constant companion in all astrological work.
Drink deeply from this well-spring of wisdom for rarely, if ever, has an opportunity of this magnitude been presented to gain such a depth of perspective within a cohesive context - both practically and spiritually - of the Sabian Symbols in the astrological mandala.
Barbara Noble (Australia)
on January 10, 2005
This updated interpretation of degree-specific Sabian Symbols offers an uncanny insight into chart analysis.

Whether you're new to astrology or a professional astrologer, this powerful, thought-provoking book deserves a place among your most frequently used astrology books.
on May 28, 2013
This book does something different with the Sabian symbols which were divined one day in Balboa Park in San Diego. It pairs the degree symbols as an axis, something I have not seen done with the Sabian symbols before. I have Dane Rudhyar's book on my shelf, and I have this one, both of which are indispensable tools for an astrologer. Blain Bovee reminds me to let my own stream of consciousness explore the symbols, especially when I am contemplating significant degrees in my own chart, and especially when those degrees are already expressing themselves as an axis, such as the ASC-DSC, MC-IC and the Moon Nodes. These symbols were never intended to be stagnant, but alive and ever changing, and Blain's book has demonstrated the value in allowing the richness of the Sabians to unfold in a person's understanding of their life. That is what astrology is intended to do. As an astrologer I will often use a Sabian symbol for further understanding of the MC or DSC in particular, since career and marriage are so often the topic under discussion. Viewed as an axis, they come alive. Give me two Sabian symbols and a creative heart. Sometimes the creative heart part gets stuck. That's when Blain's book goes into action. Like the Sabians, his book is alive.
on July 9, 2009
I have to wholly disagree with the other positive reviews. I have been studying astrology and the Sabian Symbols for 20 some odd years. My Lynda Hill version was in tatters so I decided to get another perspective. Blains book seemed to get praise so I bought it. I don't much care for the degree pairing he does, or at least how he seems to relate the pairs. The pairing makes surfing a bit confusing. But my main peeve about this book is so deep and real that after a month with it, I don't want to open it any more. I find the way his mind wanders off topic and on to associate the basic heading of the degree with whatever seems to wander into his mind, totally off topic and unbelievable. I want to black out entire trains of thought that seem irrelevant so I don't get distracted. I find my own mind wanting to add correlations that seem more appropriate and more obvious and simple(as correction or exchange). He is so busy wondering in his mind to make correlations to "write a book" (seems like) that he misses the simplest and most obvious of correlations. His correlations seem entirely personal and self absorbed and not inspired, to say nothing of being wholly off point. I find I do more sorting the wheat from the chaff with this interpretation and am more annoyed than enlightened or inspired, so this version is going to the used book store (I don't even want it in my way). I am probably going to see if Lynda Hills new version elaborates on her old Sabian Symbols book, which I really like, and then try Roche's book as companion. The reviews I hear sound like she makes it crystal clear when she makes correlations to various things from any degree quote, and is attentive and responsible enough to make clear how she is stating her own opinion and inclinations to thought at she ponders any degree - implying to me a piece of work that might be actually inspired, and in any case is responsible writing I can at least respect. Sorry Blain, you don't even get a spot on my book shelf to gather dust.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2012
I love Blain Bovee's treatment of the Sabian Symbols as complementary pairs of opposite degrees throughout of zodiac. I particularly appreciate his insight on the themes the pairs have in common and his down-to-earth and clearly stated synthesis of the often obscure language of the original Sabian symbols. Blain is an outstanding astrologer whose many years of specialty on the Sabians shines through this book. I like it so much; I've started giving it as a gift to friends.
on January 1, 2005
Occasionally even the most avid reader comes across a book which exceeds his or her most demanding expectations - and transcends even its own vision. Such a book is 'more than the sum of its parts' - and this is unquestionably one of them.
Behind the rather prosaic title, signaling as it does a down-to-earth text-book approach to the subject under discussion (which, on one level, it is), there lies an approach to the Sabian Symbols which is almost poetical in its all-encompassing sensibility. As you read each suggestive path towards an interpretation of successive pairs of symbols (there are 180 in all - bringing to life the 360 degrees of the Zodiac), the mind almost effortlessly sets off on tangents of its own, prompted by the inter-play of Words and Ideas which form often complex but also informative and entertaining 'Pictures' on each page. Think of each Pairing as a Short Story - or as Notes for something much more expansive which you, the Readers, are being encouraged to create. In effect each one of you ends up being the central character in his or her own imaginative Universe - prompted in that direction by Blain Bovee's own universal imagination.
It goes without saying, I think, that this Book is an essential read (and read and read again) for anyone who claims to take Astrology seriously. It deserves a much wider readership - anyone in fact, however skeptical they may be of Astrology as a subject for serious consideration, who is open to the almost infinite possibilities of the Imagination in any of its incarnations. James Joyce, for one (he was interested in Astrology, and even more concerned with expanding Imagination) would certainly have approved.
on January 14, 2005
I have a strange relationship with my favorite books -- I kiss them all the time! Hell, I never said I was normal! The cover design... the touch... the fresh smell of the paper... the gratitude for what's within... It's a unique physical and emotional experience.
Blain's book it's definitively a book to kiss and tell! Like many lovers, most books cannot stand the test of time... but this one was born to walk with us throughout our life. As we walk this book, we soon become captured by the evocative power and grace of Blain's vision. Yet, there's no fixed path in this journey of discovery, "only" the inspiring guidelines from a shaman's mind...
The book cover reminds me of an exploding white diamond! So, I call this book the "Diamond Book". Then, the invitation is clear and it's my pleasure to quote the Pink Floyd: "Come on you raver, you seer of visions, Come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!"
Yep, we don't need to cry to the dark moon anymore. This "crazy" diamond reflects its pure light through 360 suggestive angles of creative thinking that will further enhance our perception of any Astrological chart! In sum: If the Sabian Symbols are the poetry of Astrology, then Mr. Blain Bovee is one of the Sabian's greatest BARDS!"
on October 25, 2014
It is and was a very good product