4.0 out of 5 stars Break into this ghost story if you dare!
Connelley is famous for the dramatic Harry Bosch series, several of which I have read. When I found out that Connelly had written a ghost story, I got curious.

Published 20 months ago by F. J. Zubek

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a con for promotional material
Published 20 months ago by Suncoast

4.0 out of 5 stars Break into this ghost story if you dare!, October 23, 2012
This review is from: The Safe Man: A Ghost Story (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)

The Safe Man is about a locksmith named Brian who is called to a famous writer's home on the coast. The writer, Mr. Robinette, has discovered a floor safe in his library. The problem is that he doesn't know the combination.

As it turns out, Mr. Robinette is less interested in the possible contents of the safe then he is having the thing removed from the property.

And so Brian, good at what he does, manages to open it and discovers that it is in fact, empty. Or is it?

I can't say more without ruining it but if you enjoy a good ghost story that will make you wake up in the middle of the night and double check the locks on the doors of your home at 3 AM, then this is a story you should read!

As a bonus, there is of course the first few chapters of the newest Bosch novel,The Black Box, which is due out next month

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a con for promotional material, November 19, 2012
Suncoast "Suncoast" (Sunshine Coast, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Safe Man (Kindle Edition)
I recently reviewed the 6 chapter free sampler for Michael Connelly's "The Black Box" and commented that it was a great idea to release a long sampler to attract you to the full book - still to be released. So while I was waiting for that release I saw this apparent Novella by Michael Connelly and thought that I would read it while waiting for "The Black Box" to be released. It was shown as a stand-alone story with no page count.

I was stunned to find that "The Safe Man" only takes up 40% of the Kindle book, with the remaining 60% being the 6 chapter free sampler that I had already read. There was no indication in the book description that most of the book would be promotional material. IMHO this is a real con and (forgive the possible pun) is something that an author of Connelly's status should not be associated with.

When Vince Flynn released "Kill Shot" over 30% of the content of the Kindle edition was excerpts from earlier books. At the time Flynn said on his website "We thought readers would enjoy being able to read excerpts from all of my backlist, but as it turns out, we've heard otherwise from many of you." The backlist content was quickly removed. I would have thought that Michael Connelly and/or his publishers would have learned from that experience.

This is not even a novella but a very short story which only took about 15 minutes to read. It is a minor ghost story and at best it would only scrape 3 stars by my ranking. (Edit) I have changed my rating to reflect this statement and not my 1 star view about the promotional content.

(Edit) - FYO "The Black Box" was actually released on 21 November in Australia by Allen and Unwin, nearly a week ahead of its forthcoming release on 26 November in the US by Hatchette. My full (5 star) review is now shown on the US pre-order listing.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is a con, March 5, 2013
This review is from: The Safe Man (Kindle Edition)
This exercise in misrepresentation consists of 2500 pages in total. 600 are a half baked story about a safe akin to a bottle and a genie which escapes, which is incomplete, and the following 1500 pages are again an incomplete teaser for another book The Black Box which when you then buy it, you can complete the 5000 page story. So for what you pay for this rubbish you get two incomplete stories. Pure waste of money and time.
It does not even rate one star but I can't write this review without at least one star.
What finally added insult to injury was after finding The Safe Man was rubbish and very short, I then found when reading the introduction to the second story The Black Box, that I had purchased and read that book two weeks prior.
I know, I should have done more research but I didn't expect this sham.
This behaviour by Amazon is something they should be ashamed of and I can tell you they won't con me again like this. Very disgruntled. How Michael Connelly allowed his name to be used for this sham is beyond me.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars....Connelly even writes ghost stories?!, October 24, 2012
This is a outstanding ghost story by Michael Connelly. Brian Holloway owns his own business. He fixes and repairs locks which seems easy enough until he gets a customer with a safe that is in the wood flooring in his antique home. It seems easy enough, right? Holloway finds out quickly that the safe is one that he has never seen and begins to wonder if there is something wrong with the safe. In fact, Holloway wonders if he feels safe even dealing with this object that he has to open for a customer who seems a bit frustrated about him and the safe.

Connelly does an excellent job in this ghost story. The creepiness was great as Holloway begins to open the safe and deal with his anxieties about what he saw and sensed including in his dreams. The only problem? The ending seemed to easy and I felt a little disappointed on how it ended. Still, Connelly is a terrific writer and this short story just helps remind me that he has new book coming out in November.

For the price, this is an excellent short story that you will enjoy while we all wait for his new Harry Bosch thriller to hit the shelves soon enough.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only half a book, February 27, 2013
R. Whyte (Moruya Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Safe Man (Kindle Edition)
The file I bought was only half a book. The rest was taken up with a preview of another Michael Connelly book

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, February 27, 2013
RIpped off. Got part of a story. It was not advertised that way. Connelly has disappointed many of his readers.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Safe Man (a Kindle short story), January 15, 2013
Not worth the cost; too short. I will not buy any more short stories. I have purchased 2 or 3, and do not consider them worth the time or money

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, January 14, 2013
Ann M. Kini (Murfreesboro, TN) - See all my reviews
To not finish a book is the worst thing a writer can do. To leave the ending where you began is not playing fair with the reader.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Safe Man, January 7, 2013
denny (melbourne australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Safe Man (Kindle Edition)
A very short story 40% of download. The other 60% was 3 chapters of a preview of another book and info about the author

It left me thinking this couldn't end here but unfortunately it did

I really did think I was buying a full book

If you want a book to read DO NOT BUY THIS

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware, December 17, 2012
This is a very short story with an abrupt ending. It seems to be more of a concept for a novel than a completed work. Don't be fooled by the price, in my opinion this was no bargain.

Rate and Discover Movies