5.0 out of 5 stars I finally understand math
I never appreciated my math courses in school. As a returning adult, I really found this book easily explains the concepts it is trying to get across. I especially liked the Chinese numbers. It is nice to learn about math from other cultures. I now want to learn more math. Thank You, Lewinter and Widulski, I hope you guys write more math books.
Published on October 2, 2001 by Peter Zane

3.0 out of 5 stars easy read, but be wary of the "history" of civilizations
Published on September 7, 2005 by Smath

5.0 out of 5 stars I finally understand math, October 2, 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Book!!!!, October 2, 2001
This review is from: The Saga of Mathematics: A Brief History (Paperback)
This book covers Egyptian mathematics through to todays computers. It takes you on a journey through "mathematics" time. But the best part is even I understood it which says quite alot. I especially enjoyed the humor (Yes, a math book with humor) and the historical tidbits. I love this book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars math affects everything!, September 28, 2001
This review is from: The Saga of Mathematics: A Brief History (Paperback)
fun to read; full of history; math was easy to follow; showed
impact of math on science, music, art, navigation, computers and philosophy; every parent should read this for when their kid says, "i hate math"...i loved the picture proof that the first n
odd numbers add up to n squared (like 1 + 3 + 5 + 7 = 16 which is 4 squared)...i envy the authors' students!

4.0 out of 5 stars I actually enjoyed this book!, July 13, 2011
This review is from: The Saga of Mathematics: A Brief History (Paperback)
I am not very good at math, and I don't enjoy math at all, but I had to get this book for a math course I was taking. The book is actually quite interesting! It's kind of like a math book and a history book in one, which was cool because I very much enjoy history. It also has a lot of witty lines, which, I think, keeps the reader interested.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT for both math majors and non-majors..., November 29, 2011
This review is from: The Saga of Mathematics: A Brief History (Paperback)
I find this book an excellent choice FOR BOTH MATH MAJOR and NON-MAJOR students. It provides the former with a brief, well-written history of the most beautiful subject, which they can build on to pursue it further (if desired). The latter learn about it with ease thanks to the authors' style of writing, within historical context and with connections being made to other disciplines such as music, art, philosophy or technology.

Each chapter ends with EXERCISES intention of which is to check one's understanding of the presented material, and make one (more) comfortable with the interesting methods/procedures/algorithms introduced in particular chapter. Many of them are worked out at the end of the book.

One may find some big-name figures (along with their theorems or achievements, and even stories associated with them) missing in the book (such as Cardano/16th century, or the 19th century giants like Gauss and Cauchy), but make no mistake: the aim of the book is to give a peek into the history of mathematics, and I think the authors did a TERRIFIC job in this regard!

Knowing Marty Lewinter, one of the authors, in person (he had been my professor at Purchase College, NY during 2001-02), I surmise that WITTY REMARKS in the book are the product of his unmistakable style. ;-) (It had been a pleasure and honor to be your student, Marty!)

This textbook was one of the two assigned in the "History of Mathematics" course I had taken during my graduate studies at CUNY (2004-06). The other one was "Math through the Ages: A Gentle History for Teachers and Others" by William P. Berlinghoff and Fernando Q. Gouvea.

The only negative one may feel about the book is its current price on Amazon ($45.13). Yes, I would probably agree it is a bit expensive (in comparision with others); could be by 30-40% less.

Lastly, for those interested in the names/regions/periods covered:
Ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia (Babylonia), Classical Greece (Thales, Pythagoras, Hippocrates, Euclid, Archimedes, Apollonius, Ptolemy), China (a short mention), India (Brahmagupta), Arabic World (Al Khwarizmi, Omar Khayyam), Medieval Europe (Fibonacci, Oresme, Luka Pacioli), 16th century (Copernicus, Brahe, Kepler, Galileo, Bacon), 17th century (Fermat, Pascal, Descartes, Newton, Leibniz), 18th century (Euler, Lagrange, Cramer), 19th century (Einstein), and 20th century (the computer age).

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved Dr. LeWinter's class, and I love his book, September 14, 2008
Amazon Customer (Rockville, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Saga of Mathematics: A Brief History (Paperback)
I graduated from SUNY Purchase in 2001. Dr. LeWinter's History of Mathematics was one of the last classes I took before graduating. Because I have dyscalculia, I wasn't able to pass an actual math course, so my advisor suggested this speciality class. It was amazing. Marty LeWinter brought his guitar in every day, recited poetry, and had us create math-related poems for homework. His class was geared toward students who were doing badly in math but needed a math class to pass. Thanks to Dr. LeWinter's teaching -- and his textbook, now sold on Amazon -- I had so much fun learing math, without the headaches.

4.0 out of 5 stars You can read it!, June 1, 2014
This review is from: The Saga of Mathematics: A Brief History (Paperback)
Unlike most math books, you can read this one. And when you read it, you can actually understand most of it.
I really enjoyed this book, and I think I might have learned something too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 13, 2014
This review is from: The Saga of Mathematics: A Brief History (Paperback)
Nothing was wrong with it. It looked perfectly new.

3.0 out of 5 stars easy read, but be wary of the "history" of civilizations, September 7, 2005
This review is from: The Saga of Mathematics: A Brief History (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading this book until I got to Chapter 5 which I found to be inaccurate about Islamic history, not to mention extremely offensive. It would be different if the statements were true, but they're untrue and unneccesarily harsh. Other than that, this book is easy to understand and is quite humorous. I would recommend it for people who would like to learn the history of math, but I feel there are better resources out there to learn about the history of civilizations.

The Saga of Mathematics: A Brief History
The Saga of Mathematics: A Brief History by Marty Lewinter (Paperback - September 22, 2001)
$57.40 $54.53