Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

on September 16, 2006
I have owned this book for years and it is a staple of the Model railroad community. But all the techniques and tips are perfectly suited for making dioramas for D&D or wargaming or just plain fantasy dioramas. Which is what I do. I have never made a model railraod but I have made many fantasy dioramas - knights, battles, castles etc.

If you are new to making dioramas this book is perfect. It has all the basics on how to do it.

Some nice things about the book:

1. Although most of the pictures are black and white there is a nice color section in the middle so you can see how color works in your landscapes.

2. There is a great product listing in the back of the book that shows you the different scenery building products that Woodland Scenics has.

3. Glossary of terms is a nice addition to the back of the book.

4. nice step by step illustrations on how to build landscapes.

Highly recommended if you want to build dioramas that look realistic. Especially relevant if you are a hobbyist with a few dollars to spend on the Woodland scenics materials. There are lots of tips and tricks for using these materials.
0Comment30 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2012
I HAVE USED THIS MANUAL FOR YEARS BUT THE 2007 EDITION IS THE ONE TO GET AS ONLY IT HAS UP-TO-DATE PRODUCT INFO AND ALL PICTURES IN COLOR! OK ONE WAS SEPIA BUT EVEN THE PICTURE SHOWN FOR THIS BOOK IS OF THE OLD MOSTLY BLACK AND WHITE EDITION! THE AMAZON CATALOG PAGE SEEMS TO BE BASED ON THE OLDER EDITIONS ALLOWING SELLERS TO DUMP THE OBSOLETE EARLY EDITIONS ON A UNKNOWING PUBLIC. MAKE SURE OF WHAT YOU ARE BUYING BEFORE GETTING BURNED!
11 comment16 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2011
This book contains months and years of experience in its pages allowing the reader to avoid the months and years of trial and error we all potentially face when landscaping our layouts. Fully illustrated, it also includes subtle tips that assure a professional, museum quality result. I found out recently from a local hobby shop that only about a quarter of the model railroader enthusiasts in America actually attempt a working model railroad. Perhaps it is the anxiety over landscaping? If so this will help.
on May 28, 2013
I have the spiral bound '10 copy which by the way is all color. I bought this at my local hobby shop already aware that It would be fair amount of Woodland Scenics product advertising having watched some of their online videos. Since my local Hobby shop carries a fair amount of their products it wasn't a problem for me, and though it may not be the cheapest way (though it's reasonable, I'm on a super tight budget) to do scenery, it is quick and can produce great results. There are ways to use their methods without their products but I can't blame them for not mentioning the cheap way out. I found the book very detailed and helpful as I'm just getting back into this kind of thing. It may geared too much towards the beginner for some and too much of a product show case for others, but there are enough helpful hints and tricks that I would recommend the book regardless. Only reason I dropped a star is the price for the spiral bound version is ridiculous, I'm sure you can find it cheaper.
on March 2, 2011
Purchased this book from Amazon.com, arrived 3 days later. The book is a bit of a disappointment as the photos are all in black and white, not real helpful when trying to determine what the scene should look like with color. It is informative if you've never attempted building model railroad scenes.
11 comment6 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2014
If you are considering buying this "book", I urge you not to, unless you want to spend money on their ads. This book teaches you how to use their product (which is great, and probably taking a large share of the diorama/scenery modeling market). However, I believe more information and useful tutorials are free online - why not sell more products when perspective buyers can quickly learn how to use them. Therefore, you don't need this product catalog to tell you what you need to buy and how to use it. Everything is online.

If, after viewing their website and web searching all related discussions, you still don't think you can properly create a scenery with their product, then this book won't help anyways.

(If it were back in the days without Youtube, this book would be very helpful. In 2014 such "book" is useless.)
on December 12, 2012
I have started collecting Christmas cottages, and the one video I found for making landscape setting for my cottages was overpriced and not reviewed well. This book is geared toward model railroading, but the basics on designing scenery will work just as well for Christmas cottages and Halloween houses as well. Could use more photos, which is why I didn't give it five stars. Overall a useful book for those who want to design scenes for their houses.
on February 3, 2013
Very explicit but need more photos to know how to make and give some examples. It's a little bit" cold"
on June 3, 2015
Extremely useful and well written. Illustrated beautifully and well thought out in the text. I recommend it to seriously interested model railroader.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2015
Just getting back into Model Railroading after a 30 year respite. The Scenery Manual will be helpful to me to enhance the experience.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse