on April 7, 2000
Format: Paperback
If you are on a Spiritual Journey then this book is a must. I have been a student of Science of Mind for seven years and the teachings of Ernest Holmes have changed my life by helping me change my way of thinking. This is not a "self help" book, nor is science of mind a religion; it is a way of life. It makes no difference what your beliefs are, you will find that this book touches your soul. This book is not a one time read; you use it daily, over and over. Take your time reading it in order to conceptualize the material and enjoy your journey!
VINE VOICEon March 2, 2004
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I have read so many books, nearly 2,000 that have had a tremendous influence on my life, and still do to this day. It was during the darkest period of my life that I took nearly all of the money I had to my name and bought The Science of Mind.

Within 8 weeks of reading (and highlighting) this profound book from cover to cover my entire life did a complete turnaround.
What Ernest Holmes drilled into my mind was EXACTLY how the laws of this universe work with respect to manifestation. The universe is completely neutral! Whatever you focus on and believe is exactly what you WILL receive! Remember this! I feel such deep gratitude for Ernest Holmes for writing this book because of the immeasurable difference it has made in my life.

Highly recommended from my heart,
Barbara Rose, author of "Stop Being the String Along: A Relationship Guide to Being THE ONE" and 'If God Was Like Man'
Editor of inspire! magazine
Format: Paperback
I first bought the Science of Mind textbook about 14 years ago. I had already been studying spirituality and metaphysics for a few years prior and got the book from the advice of a friend.

Let me get this straight from the outset, this was not an easy read, at first. The style it was written in felt awkward and cumbersome. (I usually like reading my books outloud as it tends to have a deeper impact on me as the reader) I actually felt a little intimidated by Holmes' style so I put it aside and actually used it to hold my door open when my house got drafty and blew the doors closed.

A few years later I started going to a Religious Science Church and I, rather innocently, asked the minister if the Science of Mind book was in any way related to Religious Science and he said, "Yes, SOM is the text we use for all of our classwork..."

So I rushed home and began to read it again and somehow during those three years that book changed into something incredibly breathtaking. I was and I am still amazed at the depth it was written. If anyone says that it's just more of the same 'ol mind stuff, tell the person 'thank-you very much' and then walk away. I am a firm believer that if words that point to a Higher Level of awareness don't excite you in some way then you really don't fully understand what you're reading.

Just to realize with 'real eyes' that I am an aspect of the Whole leaves me feeling so incredibly wonderful; that the Infinite loves me enough to create and re-create me anew in each and every moment of creation is humbling and makes me understand on a deeper level what Jesus meant when he said, "I, of myself can do nothing...it is not me, but the Father within that doeth the works..."

We, in our ignorance as well as our arrogance like to think that we can do things without God, but can we? Do you know how to beat your own heart, or heal a wound, or take the food that you ate today and make it into bone, and muscle, and living tissue? I sure don't. I KNOW that the Innermost God and the Outermost God is One God and and that this Divine Intelligence is guiding and directing every atom of creation through the Power of Love and it is this same power that I use in each and every moment; it is this Power that I can consciously use to make my life better and better. Not that I can change the True Reality of my life, but I can become more and more aligned with what Spirit has ALREADY given me to EXPRESS, EXTEND, and EXPERIENCE.

This book is brilliant in so many wonderful ways. I now own five copies of this book and one of them is a beautiful leatherbound edition with goldleafing that some very dear friends gave to me one Christmas.

I am now a licensed Religious Science Practitioner in the city of Covina, California and I get the opportunity to practice this wonderful philosophy in my daily life as well as give practitioner sessions and teach classes based on this teaching.

No, I'm not a perfect human being. I still make mistakes and do a lot of things wrong, but I know deep within that the One God that is Love Itself that is within and around me now has never been hurt or damaged in any way and at any time I can go within to that "secret place of the Most High" and realign my thoughts once again to the thoughts of God...thoughts of Love...thoughts of Peace...thoughts of Abundance, etc.

Do not let yourself be intimidated by this book like I first was, give it a chance and I promise you, your life will transform itself in some way because of it.

Know that you are blessed and a blessing.

John P. Morgan, RScP
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 24, 2001
Format: Paperback
This is a wonderful book. The god cocecpts are beautiful. I would also recommed the book An Encounter With a Prophet
on April 22, 2003
Format: Paperback
This book is one that I think everyone should read. The message that the book presents about the power that each person possesses to make their life whatever they want to be, the message about the true nature of each human being, and the message about love that are in the pages of this book can revolutionize the world.
on February 10, 2005
Format: Paperback
Since I was a teenager, I have always felt that there had to be a better way of experiencing the circumstances of life. I spent a life time searching for the happiness that I knew I deserved, but just could not find. When I came across Ernest Holmes' brilliant book, The Science of Mind, I knew, beyond a doubt, that this was what I had been looking for.

Mr. Holmes speaks with a voice that rings with truth, faith and power. His message is consistently simple: God is a living presence that dwells within the individual, and by believing in this great power, all that we desire is provided to us according to our faith.

I found every paragraph of this book inspiring and uplifting. Mr. Holmes uses a clear, straight-forward approach to teach you what you need to know to change your life as well as the life of other people. His method is practical. This book has given me the confidence and the mental focus I needed to transform all the negative, fearful and confusing aspects of my life into ongoing experiences of success, accomplishement and health. My wife and I have never been happier (after 20 years of marriage), my job is rewarding, my finances are in order, and most of all, I know that my relationship with God is just as it should be. I hope that I am not gushing, but there are very few things in my life that I feel a need to change. I cannot convey how rewarding it is to know that I can rely on a power that is eternal and that gives freely and consistently. Mr. Holmes has helped me to understand my place in the scheme of things, or better stated, to know who I really am.
Format: Paperback
Only read this if you are willing to take full responsibility for all that you create in life! Ernest Holmes demonstrates an in-depth integration and synthesis of many philosophical and metaphysical traditions and systems of thought throughout the book. Blending these thoughts with his own understanding, he extracts a truth that is whole, intelligent, wise and uplifting. The insights, ideas and inspiration contained in this book can completely change your world view to one of power, passion, connection, strength and purpose. You'll definitely create more love in your life! Your spiritual life will be renewed. CAUTION: New, thought-provoking words seem to creep into this book each time you set it down, so, keep your highlighter handy!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 23, 2007
Format: Mass Market Paperback
I am new to the Church of Religious Science and just starting taking the Foundation(SOM) class. When you do a search in amazon for "The Science of Mind" by Ernest Holmes this is the first book that comes up and on the description is does not CLEARLY state it is not the real book, I had no clue how many pages there were in the book etc. Bascially this is the cliff note version of the real book. And no, the real book is not an antique and I found it in paperback at a local book store. I waited 10 days for the wrong book to come and did not realize what I had ordered, so I had to scramble to get the correct book. I have written a complaint to Amazon and to the seller of the used book I bought and I expect a full refund. I feel it should clearly state it is not the real book.
I am enjoying the REAL book!!!! And I am enjoying the SOM class!
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 12, 2003
Format: Paperback
One year ago I was facing loss and ruin in all but one area of my life (health), due to circumstances that I thought were beyond my control. Using the concepts, and techniques, presented in the books of Ernest Holmes and Joseph Murphy I have not only eliminated those "poor" conditions, but have created a new life that can only be described with words like "joyous" and "wonderful."
All parts of my life have been recreated. My income has multiplied. I've started two new businesses and salvaged my first business. I healed a broken rib in three weeks; met a wonderful woman; got a divorce settlement that my lawyer described as "hitting a triple"; brought the person stalking and vandalizing my property to justice. The list goes on.
Another reviewer wrote about using Holmes' work to create "labyrinthine superstructures". Perhaps that was his experience. But my experience was the exact opposite.
Holmes gave me the tools and methods to dismantle the self-created structures that created the situation I found myself in a year ago. My life is completely different than it was, I created this new life, and I continue to study and employ these techniques to create and bring even more wonderful conditions into my life.
This book -- and others like it -- enabled me to accomplish some amazing things, in a short time. I am just getting started, and my belief grows daily. Yesterday I learned that Barry Zito, who won the Cy Young award last year, uses Holmes' techniques daily. If there are things you want to change in your life get this book. Use it. Believe in it, and you'll create a new life.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 21, 2005
Format: Paperback
As the former Editor of Science of Mind magazine and a former licensed Spiritual Practitioner at Agape Center of Truth in Santa Monica, I'm convinced that Science of Mind is the book - and the thinking - that saved my life. I discovered this book when it fell on my foot at the Bodhi Tree 25 years ago. I read it from cover to cover many times, practiced it's concepts to the best of my ability and in so doing I changed my thinking which changed my life. I exchanged poverty for prosperity; anger for serentiy; and embraced a spiritual path that is constantly unfolding and evolving. I teach Ernest Holmes's principles in my Myth & Legend workshops and reveal those same principles in my jewerly designs called Story Stones that empower women with beauty and myth and positive thinking. This book has a special place in my bookcase and it's very worn from lots of use. Elaine Maginn Sonne, Ph.D., Author of Legends of the Stones