5.0 out of 5 stars Genunine Leather Scofield NIV - A work of art
Published on March 3, 2010 by A Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice
Nice Bible. Leather not up to par for the price. Good study bible for my husband and I. We're pleased.
Published 9 months ago by The Village Quilt Shop

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Genunine Leather Scofield NIV - A work of art, March 3, 2010
A Reader (St. Peters, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Scofield® Study Bible III, NIV (Leather Bound)
This genuine leather edition is truly beautiful. I have seen a great demonstration on youtube of the difference between bonded leather and genuine leather. Bonded leather may look similar when you buy it, but don't expect it to last. The newer imitation leathers don't yet have a track record, but I won't be surprised if they turn into a crusty rubbery mess after about 20 years. Still, I actually was going to buy imitation leather, the one with the zipper, in a local store. At the check-out I examined it closely after removing from shrink wrap and discovered the zipper was already damaged before any use. So, I decided to forego the zipper and go with something built to last.

Regarding my choice of Scofield, I also considered Ryrie and the NIV Study Bible and others. I wanted NIV, so that limited my choices. I did not consider the Life Application Study Bible, because I believe it is important to understand the Bible and let the Spirit guide you in applying it to your life rather than relying on somebody else to tell you how to apply what you read. There are many other study Bibles geared to specific demographic groups or geared to new Christians which were not a good fit for me.

Scofield promotes dispensationalism, which may be a plus or a turn-off depending upon your viewpoint. However, I do not consider myself a dispensationalist. I just want notes that hold to a very high view of Scripture. Ryrie and the NIV Study Bible are both very hefty books. I found that some notes in Ryrie were just stating the obvious (like a note in Genesis that explains what "livestock" means). These books seem to be engaging in the publishing equivalent of an arms race, but they are stockpiling notes instead of weapons. I feel like maybe when you have most pages with more notes than text, the notes may just become more of a distraction than a true study aid. Scofield follows a "less is more" philosophy and doesn't overwhelm the reader with useless information or become a crutch where the reader will want to consult the notes for every verse on the page.

Besides the notes, the Scofield Bible has other features that are missing from some study Bibles, including a topical chain-reference system and a pretty good concordance. These are designed to promote the study of the Bible as a unified whole.

Before buying this I was using a NKJV bible, but nobody else in my Sunday school class had that version. Most people had NIV, and I think without a doubt NIV is the most popular translation today. Scofield's original study Bibles used the KJV mainly because it was the most popular in his day. I won't even get into all the alphabet soup of various translations available today or the KJV-only debate. NIV is a very readable translation, but doesn't sound "dumbed down". I understand NIV is at about a 7th grade reading level, which is about the same as popular novels. It takes advantage of the latest scholarship, but it does not make alterations for the sake of political correctness.

Of course, Oxford Bibles are of the highest quality. In this 2004 update of the Scofield Bible, you get some enhancements and reformatting which bring it up to the latest standards of Bible publishing. This includes over 60 in-text maps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scofield Study Bible in NIV, March 22, 2011
This review is from: The Scofield® Study Bible III, NIV (Leather Bound)
I am very happy with this Bible . It is nice nice nice . Leather is beautiful . Gold leaf pages are unmarred by scratches . Study notes are plentiful and I believe will really help me along as I delve deeper into the Word of God .I was looking for a Bible with a lot of study notes to aide in understanding as well as a different version to help me see the subtle differences . I am very happy with my purchase and it is also a handsome Bible with thumb indexing and ribbon marker . I have worn out 4 Bibles in the few years since I became born again so I knew I needed a well made real leather one . This seems to be it . And when you open it to a certain page it lays open and ready to be used instead of flipping shut every time you take your hand off of it . My only remark against it is that I really wanted a burgundy Bible and this one was only available in black .

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Quality Bible, May 15, 2012
This review is from: The Scofield® Study Bible III, NIV (Leather Bound)
I own several different Holy Bibles, new and old. This is one of, if not, my favorite! The genuine black leather is beautiful. I really like the Scofield Study notes because they do not tell you someone elses opinion about what to believe. They state the facts leaving the rest to your own interpretation. This is a great Bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is the best., October 31, 2012
This review is from: The Scofield® Study Bible III, NIV (Leather Bound)
I have used the Scofield Study Bible for years. Dr. Scofield's commentary has stood the test of time. Also, the New International Version is the best modern translation. It is approved by the Colorado Springs Guidelines. Even though I use several study bibles, the Scofield is my favorite. I recommend the NIV Scofied Study Bible. Also, the price is excellent for genuine leather.

5.0 out of 5 stars The NIV is a great source for Learning, December 16, 2012
This review is from: The Scofield® Study Bible III, NIV (Leather Bound)
this is a great source for learning.
up grade from an older Bible. has a lot more information, index and other informative handy it is a great study source.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Bible!, June 24, 2012
This review is from: The Scofield® Study Bible III, NIV (Leather Bound)
I bought this for my husband and he loves it. It has opened his mind up reading what scholars have said about different passages and has enlightened him with the cross-references on how the Bible ties itself together. Beautiful Bible - highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bible, January 28, 2013
This review is from: The Scofield® Study Bible III, NIV (Leather Bound)
Just what my wife wanted. Indexes and the background info at the beginning of each book fit her needs to a T

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bible!, May 15, 2013
This review is from: The Scofield® Study Bible III, NIV (Leather Bound)
I bought this for a new Christian. It is beautifully bound in leather. He likes the translation and the study references.

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of art for prison ministry!, March 27, 2014
This review is from: The Scofield® Study Bible III, NIV (Leather Bound)
As a new prison minister, I am not allowed to bring any electronic phone or tablet into the prisons I volunteer at. Therefore, I needed the most durable and easiest to read Bible that I could buy. Enter the Scofield NIV Study Bible in genuine leather. The quality of this Bible is jaw dropping for the $40 that I paid for it because it comes with the following:

- Gorgeous genuine leather (not bonded) cover in black with a hint of brown in the sunlight. Please make sure you get the leather bound version because it's only $10 more for a superior cover that should last decades.

- Thumb index for quicker access

- A wealth of notes and footnotes which are more factual and less commentary.

- Red letter text of all of Jesus' quoted verses

- Table of Weights and Measures

- Index to Subject Chain References

- Index to Proper Names

- NIV Concordance

- The New Oxford Bible Maps

- Lay flat design. Meaning this Bible can lay flat for easy reading of all the contents of your selected page.

2 Timothy 2:15 in the NIV says, "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth."

I believe this Scofield NIV Study Bible will be one of your best resources to help present yourself as one approved. The attention to detail, the way it feels in your hands and even the way it smells belies its mindbogglingly low $40 price. You're going to love it, buy it today!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!!, May 13, 2011
This review is from: The Scofield® Study Bible III, NIV (Leather Bound)
This is the first bible I have purchased since owning a NLT Teen study bible. I paid for standard shipping and it was here in two days. Awesome service! When I received this bible I was truly impressed. It is a very premium study bible. I can't wait to dive into the word of God a little more in depth now. A must have for anybody that wants a nice NIV study bible! Don't wait!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Scofield® Study Bible III, NIV
The Scofield® Study Bible III, NIV by Oxford University Press (Leather Bound - April 30, 2005)
$65.00 $43.82