5.0 out of 5 stars Paul McCartney and U2 can't both be wrong...
Published on July 27, 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Following The Script
Published on September 6, 2008 by Paul A. Kirwan

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul McCartney and U2 can't both be wrong..., July 27, 2009
This review is from: The Script [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
When a band with one album is chosen by Paul McCartney to open for him in his big return to Shea Stadium (at the new Citi Field), and by U2 to open for them as they start their tour in Dublin, you would guess that these lads from Dublin are pretty good. The fact that, of the 10 songs on their CD, 6 have gone Number One in Europe, would confirm the 'pretty good' status, and get them towards 'really good'. Hear them live, and you will know that their performances are often better than the recorded versions, and singer Danny O'Donohue is an amazing, soulful, singer who will have you thinking Bono one minute and then do a dead-on Sting the next. His range is amazing and his Celtic soul sound is a welcome change to the dreary 'Boom Boom GaGa' sound of Pop Radio these days.

The history here is two of the members (Danny and Mark) were in a boy band called MyTown that had a huge signing bonus and then flopped. They were supposed to be an Irish version of NSYNC. After that they went to the US and worked with a lot of the top R&B producers and honed their craft. Mark is supposed to be one of the best choreographers in Ireland, but now stands still and plays the guitar while singing background or rapping. The boys are all jeans and work boots or sneakers, and the glitter is long gone. It works and they should be around for a long while.

Favorite songs include: We Cry, The Man Who Can't Be Moved, Breakeven, Before the Worst, Fall For Anything, Talk You Down, and the End Where I Begin. Good, but not Great (for me): Rusty Halo. Many friends LOVE it though.... Danny is definitely channeling Sting on that track, and the bass line is definitely Sting-like. This could fit on a Police album without modification. Not a fan of: If You See Kay...they are a little too clever here (think of each word as a letter). Kills the song for me. (I wonder if Britney's writers pilfered this idea when they wrote If You Seek Amy...? Creepy to think of little girls singing along...) The songs are a blend of pop, soul, rap, rock, and R & B. I would say the lyrics, which are really important to me, are not as poignant as U2, The Clash, Dylan, etc. but definitely a cut-above the generic pop song, and the band clearly tried not to write a whole album of love songs. We Cry is about how life can trash people's dreams and be brutally difficult for many. Fall For Anything is about developing boundaries (You have to stand for something or you'll fall for anything), but in a boy-girl social context. Rusty Halo is about how fear and the rat-race can l overwhelm a person's spirit and cause them to forget the right things.

9 out of 10 ain't bad, to paraphrase Jim Steinman. Everybody I have told about this album has come back to me raving about it, and have become fanatical fans.The bottom line is the songs are very well crafted, (mostly) love songs, that are extremely catchy, well sung, with good lyrics, that you'll be singing along to for weeks. Get this album... you will love it. A solid 4 and a half stars for me. And try to catch a performance online or live, you will be blown away by how good they are in person, often with just an acoustic guitar and box to bang on...

5.0 out of 5 stars The Script, March 26, 2010
This review is from: The Script (Audio CD)
When I first heard "Breakeven" on the radio a few months back, I thought to myself, "Who is this?" My ideas bounced from Maroon 5 to Jason Mraz to One Republic to Coldplay, but this band didn't sound specifically like any one of them. This music was unique - the vocals were just beautiful. I was stumped and anticipated that once this song came to an end, the station would hopefully state the name of the band and the name of the song. That radio station certainly did. The Script was a whole new name to me. After scoping out this band on You Tube, I not only came to the conclusion that this band is totally fierce, but also that I had to get this album.

The Script album is pretty amazing and enjoyable from start to finish - easily one of the best albums I've ever had. It's not very often that a band has the ability to create an array of songs on an album that are all so good, and yet so different from one another. Each song has something uniquely stimulating about it, and the stories in this band's songs can be related to by the listener in some way or another. This strong and diverse collection includes songs with Reggae or even Rap-like persuasion, "Have You Seen Kay," "Together We Cry," The catchy song "Rusty Halo," took me back to the days of Sting and the Police, as it had almost a pop rock to even a punk rock feel. Ironically as well, the lead singer's voice resembles Sting's voice slightly in "The End Where I Begin."

The Script's emotions explode through the vocals and musical accompaniment in the strong ballads "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" and "Talk You Down," which both pull right at the heart. In "Fall For Anything" the lead singer and band sing and play a pep talk to all those girls who fall for the wrong guy and his stunts again and again. "Breakeven" and "Before the Worst" are just two other Script powerhouse songs that rock on this album and show off this great band's versatility.

Just as unique as each song they've created, this band is extraordinary. Not only are the lead vocals and harmonies so unbelievably beautiful with the lead singer's incredible vocal range; but also the instrumental accompaniment of The Script's music (guitar, piano, strings, percussion, bass, etc.) perfectly accents each and every song. This band is so very talented; I can't wait to watch them get bigger and bigger.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good couple of songs, November 25, 2009
This review is from: The Script (Audio CD)
Really enjoyed the songs "The man who can't be moved" and "breakeven." I almost didn't buy it based on the reviews from this site. One person said it had a lot of foul language. I have listened to the album many times, often not even removing it from the player, and have only found one bad word.

Good sounding band, reminds me a lot of Maroon 5.

Hope this helps...

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow New Talent Sure To Hit It Big In USA, October 19, 2009
Mark "Mark" (Town of Onondaga, N.Y. USA) - See all my reviews
This CD Is so good with It's grooves and melodies. I do not usually review CD's but hearing this music and not seeing a single review had me troubled about the groups exposure In the States. If given the right advertising It could become a smash here the way I hear It Is In other Countries.
This trio rocks and the molodies just flow.
Do yourself a favor and listen to "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" or "Breakeven" 2 totally hit material. And maybe you have your own favorites soon.
I really do highly recomend this CD. Watch these guys!!
I don't have the bonus with DVD but I wish I did.
This review Is for just the regular CD.

3.0 out of 5 stars Following The Script, September 6, 2008
This review is from: Script (Audio CD)
This Irish Trio have certainly taken flight with this No. 1 album in the UK and Ireland. The hit singles 'We Cry' and 'The Man Who Can't Be Moved' are certainly well-crafted pop ditties and if you like these, you will like the album. Nice melodies, nice production and that for me is the problem. Everything is too nice and clean. A more 'live' feel to the rockier numbers like 'Talk You Down' might have given the album more 'edge'. Nevertheless, a fine debut and suggests that there is more to come from this talented trio.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Get What You Paid For, May 28, 2010
This review is from: The Script (Audio CD)
If you like their singles "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" and "Breakeven" then you'll love the entire album. So what are you waiting for? You're already a Script fan, go pick up a copy! =D

The only surprise to me was one particular song had the F-Bomb in it, and I didn't realize they were the type of band to say those things. I'm just a little surprised there wasn't a "Parental Advisory" logo on the album somewhere. I buy "Parental Advisory" CDs all the time, so it didn't bother me, but I'm just saying this as a 'heads-up' to anyone who might be bothered by it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Script, February 14, 2009
This review is from: Script (Audio CD)
I saw this band on a "Live at Abbey Road" segment on the Sundance channel. They are fantastic! They performed "We Cry" and "A Man Who Won't Be Moved" and the songs just wouldn't get out of my brain. I looked online and found some interviews and video's of this Irish Band and was hooked. I love this CD and highly recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking Forward to More From The Script!, August 10, 2010
This review is from: The Script (Audio CD)
The Script's self-titled album is full of catchy, stuck-in-your-head-all-day songs. I'm not quite sure what genre best describes them, if that matters. Their songs range anywhere from rock, pop, soul, and r&b. Some people have mentioned that they "rap" in some of their songs. I think what they mean is that they do a bit of fast,rhythmic singing (especially on the track "We Cry", one of my favorites). The lyrics are what make this band so special. They are poingant and honest and relatable - no matter who you are or what you've been through. When I sat down and read the lyrics along with the songs, there were some where I just broke down and cried. Any artist that can move me, whether to tears or to scream in rage, gets my vote. To me, it's also important that they are true musicians. They had a hand in writing every song on the album, as well as playing their own instruments. In my opinion, The Script is the signle best band to come out in the last few years and I'm really looking forward to seeing what else they can do! I very highly recommend this CD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth, modern, and real., May 23, 2010
This review is from: The Script (Audio CD)
The Script's eponymous debut album breaks down many barriers which were probably built around this band: mainly, the assumption that their one-hit-wonder song, "Breakeven", is where it starts and where it ends for them. However, it has been years since I've seen a band so successfully break out of it's shell and... well, go way beyond just breaking even.

The album features an electrifying mix of pop, rock, rap, and electronic influences. It is very easy to distinguish one song from another because they are so diverse, yet the album as a whole is unified and doesn't feel jumbled. Note: I use the word "rap" as a style of fast-paced singing... think Jason Mraz, not 50 Cent.

Here is a track-for-track breakdown review.
1. We Cry (10/10) - A fast-paced account of modern day society and it's demands, very moving. [1st single]
2. Before The Worst (8/10) - Catchy, yet more generic pop/rock song. Nice hook and bridge.
3. Talk You Down (9/10) - Starts out slow and picks up fast, this song is quite a ride. Relationship troubles, etc. - will be stuck in your head! [4th single]
4. The Man Who Can't Be Moved (10/10) - Lyrically intelligent, very relatable song and a much softer rock sound. [2nd single]
5. Breakeven (9/10) - Fun, nice pace, very catchy. Understandably the band's most successful single. [3rd single]
6. Rusty Halo [8/10] - Not my favorite, this is an oddball in the mix but a nice change in style from tracks 4 and 5. Has a better aftertaste.
7. The End Where I Begin (10/10) - Self-explanatory. A very melodic, beautiful song. Song changes mid-way, overall great balance of ambience and rap.
8. Fall For Anything (8/10) - Fast-paced rap/rock, catchy but feels more like a formula song. Still good.
9. If You See Kay (9/10) - Undeniable word being spelled out (eff you see kay)... awkward if not. Anyway, this song is great and one of the album's best.
10. I'm Yours (10/10) - Very emotional; brings out the best in the singer's voice. Great romance rock, DO NOT listen to this if you have recently had a break-up, some kind of family tragedy, or if you are doing anything where intense emotions would be involved (unless you want to cry).
11. Anybody There (10/10) - Great choice in a finale, a nice song to balance the feel after "I'm yours". Upbeat, fast-paced, The Script has made a solid finale.

Overall (10/10) - A very diverse mix of sounds and styles, there are songs to wake up to, songs to fall asleep to, and songs to play throughout your day. The Script is an album you'll hold onto for a long time, and a band which you'll be looking for music from again in a few years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Album, November 9, 2009
This review is from: The Script [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
From start to finish a really excellent album. You will think of acts such as Coldplay, U2, and the Killers.

The Script
The Script by The Script (Audio CD - 2009)
Rate and Discover Movies