5.0 out of 5 stars Twisted, Weird, and Brilliant
The Scrubs is an awesomely twisted story that reminded me of a mash-up between Richard Matheson's "What Dreams May Come" and "Alice in Wonderland"...if Alice was a meth-head sociopath.

It is a quick, fast paced read that moves along excellently.

Published on April 1, 2010 by Nathan Henrion

3.0 out of 5 stars The Scrubs
Very odd book .....not at all what I was expecting, and in addition, this book is not very well written. It passed the time and t that about covers it.....
Published 18 months ago by Stacy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Twisted, Weird, and Brilliant, April 1, 2010
This review is from: The Scrubs (Kindle Edition)

It is a quick, fast paced read that moves along excellently.

Keeler is a prison inmate who has cut a deal to journey into the mind (literally) of a homicidal maniac in hopes of finding two previous volunteers. The world he steps into is demented and gruesome. The author's ability to come up with even more bizarre encounters in this world is both captivating and exciting.

As a new reader of Simon Wood's (Simon Janus) work...I am tempted to think that I will be hard-pressed to find a better story in his catalog.

5.0 out of 5 stars From Red Adept Reviews, June 8, 2010
Plot/Storyline: 5 Stars

The plot was an intriguing, unique one. The storyline flowed well; in keeping with novella style, it moved quickly, always forwarding the tale. Although it was science fiction/fantasy, it almost felt real.

I enjoyed the different viewpoints, also. This tactic enabled me to discover different aspects of the story. There were more things going on than would have been able to be explained from only one viewpoint. Keeler's portion was still the most interesting, though.

Oddly, even though this was a novella, after reading it, I felt as though I had read an entire novel. The ending was climactic, exciting, and unexpected.

Character Development: 5 Stars

Keeler was the best developed character I have come across in a novella in a long time. I love the way he was introduced as not particularly likable. Then, as the story progressed, I found out more about him, and he became someone the reader could empathize with, at least to some extent.

Jeeter was scary, yet sad. Through the eyes of others, he was well develeoped. While I could not quite bring myself to feel sorry for him, he still evoked a small amount of sympathy a few times.

Writing Style: 5 Stars

Although I have been impressed with Mr. Wood's writing style in previous works, this novella showed a talent that far surpassed my expectations. The sentence structure was superb. The descriptions were concise and vivid, creating a wonderful world inside "the rift." The dialogue was snappy and realistic.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Scrubs, August 4, 2010
The Scrubs - Simon Janus/Simon Woods
The story gets right to the point within the first few pages which has always been the case with Simon's work. The Scrubs is a fast paced story about inmates being offered a pardon if they participate in a secret experiment. The inmates do not know what they are agreeing to until they are actually too far in the experiment and at that point it is too late to change their mind. A device has been constructed to let people enter the sick twisted mind of a psychopathic killer imprisoned in The Scrubs by using a hallucinogen to access Jeter's mind. As you journey further into the psychotic mind of Jeter, a convicted criminal, you discover numerous unforeseen twists that will keep you guessing as to what could possibly happen next. This is another great story by Simon. If you have not picked up this book or any of his other work you are definitely missing out on a great read. If you pick up the paper version of the story then the artwork really gives you an idea of what goes on behind the locked doors of The Scrubs!

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrifying & fascinating, February 2, 2011
This review is from: The Scrubs (Kindle Edition)
I was lucky to stumble upon this bargain of a deal thru one of my Kindle groups. It is quite possibly the best $0.99 i have ever spent. I was pulled into the Rift straight from the first chapter and only quit reading because my eyes couldn't stay open anymore. I just finished it and although at first i thought the ending was unsatisfying i now realize that it couldn't have been any other way. My last thoughts as i finished the final paragraph were:

Holy crap what a ride!

What the...???

Oh man London is in big trouble!

Is there another book??? I must scope Amazon immediately!!!

Read this book it is as my review title says and you won't regret it. I'm on the hunt for more stories by this author as soon as i hit submit for this review!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars This novella lived up to it's hype!, November 27, 2010
This review is from: The Scrubs (Kindle Edition)
I took a chance on The Scrubs based on the well written description. It sounded like a mind freak type of story where reality limitations were thrown out the window. I can see this story being made into a movie (maybe with Tim Burton directing...Johnny Depp?). The price was also a factor in selecting this story to buy. I enjoyed this thriller very much and plan to check out some other titles by Simon Janus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilling and Gripping Horror Novel, November 27, 2010
This review is from: The Scrubs (Kindle Edition)
Wood is a skillful writer, which is obvious right off the bat. He absolutely knows the meaning of show, don't tell. His descriptions are vivid and alarming, and his character reactions appropriate but creepy, such as when Keller says that one of the prisoners makes his balls wither on the vine.

Keeler and his actions just keep getting more and more interesting the further that you read into the story. And he's full of surprises--at first, I thought "volunteer" meant that he was someone who volunteered as a guard at the prison. Turns out "volunteer" actually means he has 'willingly' signed up to become a test subject of sorts. Not fun.

Still, Keeler is sharp and quick-witted and he knows when he's being played or when someone's lying to him, great traits to have despite the sins that have landed him in jail.

You soon find out that this prison isn't an ordinary one. If anything, it reminded me of the prison that Alex De Large, ill-fated protagonist of "A Clockwork Orange", ended up in. Keeler's "assignment" is to find Lefford and Allard, two of the more dangerous prisoners housed in this facility, and Keeler is smart enough to know that it'll mean trouble for his reputation among the rest of the prisoners.

There are very few books that truly alter a person's literary landscape, and "The Scrubs" has been one of those for me. Although appropriately explicit when necessary, the book doesn't actually have as many "gross out" descriptions as I thought it would, so if you're afraid that it'll be too scary, I will say that once you find out what's really going on, the concept is actually more frightening than the descriptions of blood and guts.

For the full review, please visit [...].

4.0 out of 5 stars All Kinds of Bizarre, April 7, 2011
Jaidis Shaw (South Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Scrubs (Kindle Edition)
The Scrubs by Simon Janus (Simon Wood) is a weirdly twisted ride though a prison experiment. James Jeter is a serial killer who happens to be the focus of the experiment that took place in the prison where he was sentenced. By hooking Jeter up to a feeding tube that contains the hallucinogen wormwood, Jeter is able to open up 'The Rift' which is an alternate world that houses all of his victim's souls. With hopes of being able to control 'The Rift' and make money, inmates are offered the chance to enter 'The Rift' in trade for early release. Of course 'The Rift' isn't puppies and rainbows since it is the mind of a psychotic serial killer and the inmates are subjected to horror with bizarre twists.

Michael Keeler suffers from a tremendous amount of guilt after a robbery went horribly wrong. He accepts the offer to enter the weirdness that is 'The Rift' since he feels like he deserves whatever comes to him. While there he learned about Jeter's last victim, a young boy, who wasn't located before Jeter was sentenced to prison. Keeler made it his mission to find the boy's soul in 'The Rift' and bring him out safely. Does Keeler save the little boy or just create more problems? You will have to read this awesome and twisted tale to find out!

Due to the graphic nature in this book, I'd suggest that it be read by only mature adult audiences.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gonna need to scrub the blood off after this one, April 26, 2011
This review is from: The Scrubs (Kindle Edition)
I have enjoyed three of Simon Wood's thrillers in the past so I have always wanted to check out some of his Horror efforts. Scrubs dose not disappoint. This is a vivid, gory descent into, well, Evil. I don't want to spoil any of the story for the potential reader, but it is a very imaginative tale that works in some truly chilling elements. Odd that such a nice Englishman could wield the pen to flay at the reader's mind... This is a must read for the horror fan. I'm going to have to send some more of Wood's works higher up on my TBR pile. Check it out. Its seriously the most bang for your buck.
Gregory Solis

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 Stars, June 18, 2010
Dr. Amour (The Frozen Tundra) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Scrubs (Kindle Edition)
This novella was a great read. It tells the story of a convicted killer, coerced to cross over "The Rift" which is an other-dimensional world that a notorious serial killer has created, to search out it's inhabitants -- mainly his victims. One thing that sticks out to me, is that the authors managed to make a repulsive main character, Michael Keeler, connect to the reader and show his humanity.

It is a brilliant, fast-paced, demented story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Suspend the Disbelief, September 17, 2012
This review is from: The Scrubs (Kindle Edition)
I found this quick little Novella pick-up for my Kindle for 0.99.

The story is a bizarre story to say the least. It immediately challenges the reader's ability to not only suspend their disbelief, but throw it out the window. If you had a hard time accepting the premise of Christopher Nolan's Inception, where it spent two and a half hours convincing you of a person's ability to do it naturally, then The Scrubs will be a little hard to accept that a computer can do it.

I was able to set aside that disbelief, and accept the strangeness of the world inside the prisoner's mind. It was an odd place, but not as strange as I felt it could have been. There felt to be a very strong tether to the real world and I never felt too far away (as I did watching The Cell). To my surprise, I found myself liking the criminal they sent in better than the non-criminals that were running the project. I didn't expect that to happen, I was anticipating an HBO-style story where I wouldn't like anyone, but the author delivered, and I liked that. The criminal was regretful of his crimes, and made to relive and face what he did in the Rift world. The author threw a pretty cool twist at the end, and I appreciate that.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›