Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Scrubs
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Billy Talent Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$2.99

on April 1, 2010
The Scrubs is an awesomely twisted story that reminded me of a mash-up between Richard Matheson's "What Dreams May Come" and "Alice in Wonderland"...if Alice was a meth-head sociopath.

It is a quick, fast paced read that moves along excellently.

Keeler is a prison inmate who has cut a deal to journey into the mind (literally) of a homicidal maniac in hopes of finding two previous volunteers. The world he steps into is demented and gruesome. The author's ability to come up with even more bizarre encounters in this world is both captivating and exciting.

As a new reader of Simon Wood's (Simon Janus) work...I am tempted to think that I will be hard-pressed to find a better story in his catalog.
on June 8, 2010
Plot/Storyline: 5 Stars

The plot was an intriguing, unique one. The storyline flowed well; in keeping with novella style, it moved quickly, always forwarding the tale. Although it was science fiction/fantasy, it almost felt real.

I enjoyed the different viewpoints, also. This tactic enabled me to discover different aspects of the story. There were more things going on than would have been able to be explained from only one viewpoint. Keeler's portion was still the most interesting, though.

Oddly, even though this was a novella, after reading it, I felt as though I had read an entire novel. The ending was climactic, exciting, and unexpected.

Character Development: 5 Stars

Keeler was the best developed character I have come across in a novella in a long time. I love the way he was introduced as not particularly likable. Then, as the story progressed, I found out more about him, and he became someone the reader could empathize with, at least to some extent.

Jeeter was scary, yet sad. Through the eyes of others, he was well develeoped. While I could not quite bring myself to feel sorry for him, he still evoked a small amount of sympathy a few times.

Writing Style: 5 Stars

Although I have been impressed with Mr. Wood's writing style in previous works, this novella showed a talent that far surpassed my expectations. The sentence structure was superb. The descriptions were concise and vivid, creating a wonderful world inside "the rift." The dialogue was snappy and realistic.
on August 4, 2010
The Scrubs - Simon Janus/Simon Woods
The story gets right to the point within the first few pages which has always been the case with Simon's work. The Scrubs is a fast paced story about inmates being offered a pardon if they participate in a secret experiment. The inmates do not know what they are agreeing to until they are actually too far in the experiment and at that point it is too late to change their mind. A device has been constructed to let people enter the sick twisted mind of a psychopathic killer imprisoned in The Scrubs by using a hallucinogen to access Jeter's mind. As you journey further into the psychotic mind of Jeter, a convicted criminal, you discover numerous unforeseen twists that will keep you guessing as to what could possibly happen next. This is another great story by Simon. If you have not picked up this book or any of his other work you are definitely missing out on a great read. If you pick up the paper version of the story then the artwork really gives you an idea of what goes on behind the locked doors of The Scrubs!
on April 7, 2011
The Scrubs by Simon Janus (Simon Wood) is a weirdly twisted ride though a prison experiment. James Jeter is a serial killer who happens to be the focus of the experiment that took place in the prison where he was sentenced. By hooking Jeter up to a feeding tube that contains the hallucinogen wormwood, Jeter is able to open up 'The Rift' which is an alternate world that houses all of his victim's souls. With hopes of being able to control 'The Rift' and make money, inmates are offered the chance to enter 'The Rift' in trade for early release. Of course 'The Rift' isn't puppies and rainbows since it is the mind of a psychotic serial killer and the inmates are subjected to horror with bizarre twists.

Michael Keeler suffers from a tremendous amount of guilt after a robbery went horribly wrong. He accepts the offer to enter the weirdness that is 'The Rift' since he feels like he deserves whatever comes to him. While there he learned about Jeter's last victim, a young boy, who wasn't located before Jeter was sentenced to prison. Keeler made it his mission to find the boy's soul in 'The Rift' and bring him out safely. Does Keeler save the little boy or just create more problems? You will have to read this awesome and twisted tale to find out!

Due to the graphic nature in this book, I'd suggest that it be read by only mature adult audiences.
on February 2, 2011
I was lucky to stumble upon this bargain of a deal thru one of my Kindle groups. It is quite possibly the best $0.99 i have ever spent. I was pulled into the Rift straight from the first chapter and only quit reading because my eyes couldn't stay open anymore. I just finished it and although at first i thought the ending was unsatisfying i now realize that it couldn't have been any other way. My last thoughts as i finished the final paragraph were:

Holy crap what a ride!

What the...???

Oh man London is in big trouble!

Is there another book??? I must scope Amazon immediately!!!

Read this book it is as my review title says and you won't regret it. I'm on the hunt for more stories by this author as soon as i hit submit for this review!!!
VINE VOICEon October 3, 2013
It's been a long time since I read anything in the horror genre- and then within the last couple of weeks I have been compelled to read two novella's in the genre. The first one left me unsatisfied. The Scrubs was the second and I found it much more a satisfying read!

The Scrubs takes place entirely in the London's Wormwood Scrubs Prison- specifically in the "North Wing" where a somewhat sinister project is going on: sinister serial killer James Jeter is kept under the influence of a powerful absinthe derivative. As a result there is "The Rift" - a portal to an alternate world straight from the disturbed mind Jeter. Inmates in general population are allowed to volunteer for the "North Wing Project." Michael Keeler- an inmate with not much to lose volunteers even after the two previous volunteers were never seen again. He is given the initial assignment to document his time in The Rift while looking for the other two volunteers- but that mission changes when he finds himself fully enveloped in the dark corners of a serial killer's brain.

The story flowed well and I soon found myself right beside Keeler in the Rift. The idea of this plot intrigued me and I thoroughly enjoyed the open ending of the story.
on April 26, 2011
I have enjoyed three of Simon Wood's thrillers in the past so I have always wanted to check out some of his Horror efforts. Scrubs dose not disappoint. This is a vivid, gory descent into, well, Evil. I don't want to spoil any of the story for the potential reader, but it is a very imaginative tale that works in some truly chilling elements. Odd that such a nice Englishman could wield the pen to flay at the reader's mind... This is a must read for the horror fan. I'm going to have to send some more of Wood's works higher up on my TBR pile. Check it out. Its seriously the most bang for your buck.
Gregory Solis
on November 27, 2010
I took a chance on The Scrubs based on the well written description. It sounded like a mind freak type of story where reality limitations were thrown out the window. I can see this story being made into a movie (maybe with Tim Burton directing...Johnny Depp?). The price was also a factor in selecting this story to buy. I enjoyed this thriller very much and plan to check out some other titles by Simon Janus.
on November 27, 2011
This struck as more of a short story than a novel, but that being said, I found it interesting and well-written. Character development was, of course, on the shallow side given the length, but there was enough to understand the motivation behind the main character's behavior and I liked that. All in all, it was a good read and I would recommend this book.
on November 27, 2010
Wood is a skillful writer, which is obvious right off the bat. He absolutely knows the meaning of show, don't tell. His descriptions are vivid and alarming, and his character reactions appropriate but creepy, such as when Keller says that one of the prisoners makes his balls wither on the vine.

Keeler and his actions just keep getting more and more interesting the further that you read into the story. And he's full of surprises--at first, I thought "volunteer" meant that he was someone who volunteered as a guard at the prison. Turns out "volunteer" actually means he has 'willingly' signed up to become a test subject of sorts. Not fun.

Still, Keeler is sharp and quick-witted and he knows when he's being played or when someone's lying to him, great traits to have despite the sins that have landed him in jail.

You soon find out that this prison isn't an ordinary one. If anything, it reminded me of the prison that Alex De Large, ill-fated protagonist of "A Clockwork Orange", ended up in. Keeler's "assignment" is to find Lefford and Allard, two of the more dangerous prisoners housed in this facility, and Keeler is smart enough to know that it'll mean trouble for his reputation among the rest of the prisoners.

There are very few books that truly alter a person's literary landscape, and "The Scrubs" has been one of those for me. Although appropriately explicit when necessary, the book doesn't actually have as many "gross out" descriptions as I thought it would, so if you're afraid that it'll be too scary, I will say that once you find out what's really going on, the concept is actually more frightening than the descriptions of blood and guts.

For the full review, please visit [...].