5.0 out of 5 stars great movie, will watch again and again!
Published on January 2, 2011 by snookie

Short version - Santa gets hit by a car, mugged and almost dies, gets a job in a store and passes out in front of kids and almost dies again. Puppy turns to Stuffed Animal and gets thrown into Incinerator to burn, little girl climbs in after him, New Orphan's parents died and is mistreated. Excellent Christmas Story... Not!

Longer version - My 7 yr old Daughter...
Published on November 28, 2010 by Big John

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID this Movie unless you want your kids to cry hysterically, November 28, 2010

Longer version - My 7 yr old Daughter cried hysterically a few times during this movie. This movie should be rated PG-13, anyone who says their young kids watched this movie and didn't cry was probably because they were too young to understand what was going on or were not paying attention to it, this movie is borderline EVIL for presenting itself as a "Instant Classic".

At the beginning of the movie Santa hears about an old friend who has died, great kids Christmas movie moment #1...

Santa then goes to NYC, He gets hit by a car and gets robbed while laying in the street and then sent to the hospital, the Puppy that is with him is now alone, great kids Christmas movie moment #2...

The main little girl is lead into the Orphanage holding a small angel that her now deceased mom gave her, when asked by other kids where "her" parants were she states "They didn't Make it" and the other Kids think their deceased parents are coming back for them as well (all except one kid, who is the bitter one), great kids Christmas movie moment #3...

A few minutes after the excessively mean orphanage lady leaves, the little girl is on the Fire Escape holding her Angel singing "Who will sing my song to me now?". Later on her Angel gets taken away, great kids Christmas movie moments #4 and 5...

The orphanage boss takes their toys and all Christmas decorations and incinerates them, but this is typical orphanage behaviour so its OK.

The little girl finds the Puppy and takes him inside, the Orphanage lady takes his Christmas gem and blames bitter orphan and then sends the dog and orphan to sleep in the basement where he turns into a Stuffed animal due to the missing stone, great kids Christmas movie moment #6...

So guess who goes in the incinerator in the morning??? Yup the Puppy, but even better yet, the 1st little girl climbs into the incinerator to get the Puppy while it is on, great kids Christmas movie moments #7 and 8... and EXTRA DISNEY POINTS for showing its OK for a 5 year old kid to climb into a burning "oven"...

Classic Christmas Story? 95 Minutes of child torture for the "Timeless Message" at the end? Was it even in the theaters? Seriously, does Disney know what garbage they are putting out?

I normally watch certain movies before letting my Daughter watch but this one was falsely depicted as pleasant and heartwarming... a Disney mistake I will not make again.

AVOID if you don't want to see your kid cry.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for us, November 24, 2010
sds (IN, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Search For Santa Paws (DVD)
This movie is mostly dark, sad and borrowed. It's like Annie meets Santa Paws but where Santa Paws endears himself to a bunch of little girls, looses his power crystal and then becomes a stuffed animal that almost gets burned up in the trash. My 5 year old ran away from the TV and put her face in the wall while my 7 year old cried her eyes out in hysterics. Yes, the cliche "greedy, thinking only of money" character somehow sees the true meaning of Christmas. However, that story has been told in much lighter and more effective ways than here. And the message was lost on my kids who couldn't see past the terrifying plot points Disney felt they needed in order to reach a larger audience? Such a shame. If you haven't seen the first Santa Buddies movie, get that one. MUCH better, nice story, nice message, fewer tears. I hate that I spent the money on this. Worse, I hate that my kids will have bad dreams tonight.

1.0 out of 5 stars A complete mess..., November 24, 2010
My wife bought this movie based solely on the poster outside the Disney store. She thought the dog looked cute. This movie tries WAY too hard to please and falls short in every department.

It's got Santa... a very scary looking Santa. In fact, he looks like one of the Geico cavemen dressed as Santa. I don't know who did his makeup but his face is ghostly pale. For some reason, he wears a bowler hat instead of Santa's traditional red cap. That bothered my son and so my son began whining about it. That bothered me.

Santa visits NYC, gets hit by a cab, gets amnesia, forgets that he is Santa Claus, and finds a job as a toy store Santa. Of course he's great at his new job. The toy store is run by a childless couple. In the meantime, Santa's puppy, "Paws", takes shelter with some singing and dancing orphans straight out of "Annie." Childless couple? Orphans? HOW WILL IT END? The rest is an overly long, goose-chase for Santa and the puppy filled with more expository dialogue than you can shake your angry fist at.

By the time the littlest orphan sheds a tear and asks, "Is Santa going to die?" you'll be sorry you made this purchase. It was only made worse when my son turned to my wife and tearfully asked, "Is Santa going to die?" in the same manner.

"No, son, Santa will be fine... but I think I need more eggnog."

1.0 out of 5 stars Traumatic and Disturbing Content, December 1, 2010
My kids have been asking repeatedly for the Santa Paws movie since they first saw the ads for it. Then a huge display appeared at our local Target store. All of the media hype led us to believe it was a heartwarming movie about cute puppies, Santa and Christmas. Instead it left my 6 and 11 year old children traumatized, crying and saying that the "happy ending" didn't matter because of all of the bad things they showed through the majority of the movie. Had I previewed it I would have still been disturbed by the content and shocked at the "G" rating; moreso I would not have let my kids watch it.

Needless to say the movie was watched once and is now being placed for sale on eBay as none of us ever want to see it again. The packaging or marketing should have an advisory that some scenes may be disturbing to young or sensitive viewers. Eight hours after watching it my children were still shocked at how something that was supposed to be fun was so distressing for them. They said Disney shouldn't be allowed to make movies like that and market them to kids.

Imagine expecting to sit down for a fun family Christmas movie, only to be horrified by images of an adult taking toys from children and burning them (yes, it actually focuses in on the toys burning in the fire), almost burning Santa Paws in the fire after he is converted back into a stuffed animal, children being mistreated and upset, Santa being hit by a taxi, Santa in the hospital with what my daughter called "breathing tubes" leading her to believe he was on his deathbed, and more.

This is one of the most horrible Disney stories ever and I wish I had never brought it into my children's lives, especially at this time of year.

1.0 out of 5 stars way too dark, November 24, 2010
This review is from: The Search For Santa Paws (DVD)
So glad I previewed this before showing it to children. Lead child a new orphan left in abusive foster home where kids are locked in basement and their toys burned as punishment. Santa hit by car and his magic crystal stolen while he lies in street. In one scene, the girl crawls into a fiery incinerator. Santa almost dies. What child or adult needs this kind of dark story? This is the stuff of nightmares!

1.0 out of 5 stars Deserves no stars!, November 25, 2010
This review is from: The Search For Santa Paws (DVD)
I can't write about all that is wrong with this movie. I wish I had previewed it before my 6-YO granddaughter watched. What we planned as a fun time together turned out with her hiding her face and crying through most of the most mean-spirited 96 minutes previewed to be an "instant holiday classic, full of fun, adventure and a timeless message sure delight the entire family." Total trash.

5.0 out of 5 stars great movie, will watch again and again!, January 2, 2011
snookie (Northern VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Search For Santa Paws (DVD)
this movie followed the plots of previous movies such as Matilda and Annie. Yes there were scary parts, but in typical disney fashion, good triumphed in the end. Villains and fear aren't new to kid's movies. Cruella de Ville making coats from the puppies, the wicked queen plotting to kill Snow White and (wanting her heart placed in a jeweled box), Bambi's mother shot down in the forest...
My kids, 8 and 5, enjoyed the suspense and the happy ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Learning Potential Here: But Discretion, December 10, 2010
Stephen Pellerine (In a bookshelf somewhere) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Search For Santa Paws (DVD)
I think that you should be aware that there is a dark side to the film, but we loved it as my 8 year old daughter was ok with the sad parts - but in our studies we have looked at historical events from educational perspectives (the holocaust, Rwanda crisis, the bombing of Hiroshima) that make the movies dark side pale in comparison. I had more trouble dealing with the classic "A Christmas Carol" explaining that there is no such thing as ghosts, or at least based on my experience no ghosts that will wake you up in the middle of the night and make deals with you as you float around the world.

So, here is my review. If you feel that your child is sensitive to the criticisms in the 1 ratings (which I wholeheartedly feel are valid) then perhaps you should wait until your child is a bit older. We loved the movie and the next day my daughter invited her friends over to watch it - they also enjoyed it cheering for Paws and yelling out advice to Quin.

It could be a valuable learning experience if you use it as a springboard to discuss orphans, unfair treatment to people, and the spirit of giving as Christmas is around the corner. It would be a good movie to watch and then donate a gift (or two) to children not so fortunate, but I do understand and want to emphasize it may not be for all children.

Discretion - but not a 1 star in my view - emphasizing awareness that there is a sad scary side (as per the reviews here: we saw the events more as an adventure within the movie).

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worthy of any stars, November 27, 2010
This review is from: The Search For Santa Paws (DVD)
Granddaughters aged 4 and 7 were scared to tears and hiding. Should never have bought this DVD. A planned movie evening with visiting granddaughters turned into a disaster. Last Disney DVD I'll ever buy without seeing it first.

5.0 out of 5 stars My little boys loved this!, December 30, 2010
This review is from: The Search For Santa Paws (DVD)
After watching with my little boys (ages 8, 7, almost 5), I came to Amazon to buy it. They LOVED it! I am shocked to see how many negative reviews there are.
Sure it has a couple of bad guys (as most movies do) and yes, I did think the incinerator was a little much...BUT I was there to answer my 4 year olds questions and he was good to go. I felt like the "scarey parts" were good teaching moments. Seriously, not as bad as some of the reviewers portray it. And I feel like I am very conservative. My kids watch mostly G movies and a few, select PG ones.
My boys loved the singing parts (very cute soundtrack).
Check it out at your local library or redbox first, then buy it!

The Search For Santa Paws
The Search For Santa Paws by Robert Vince (DVD - 2010)
$19.99 $7.49