5.0 out of 5 stars Sharing the real magic leading to a better life
I have to come clean at the start. I bought the original DVD of "The Secret" when it came out, and I enjoyed it. I wanted it to be true and to be the real deal. There were many people presenting on it whose work I admire, and I have purchased many books and programs from some of them before they starred in the DVD.

Slowly the bloom came off the rose as I...
Published on April 28, 2007 by Colin MacKenzie

1.0 out of 5 stars Psychobabble revisited
I'm a rather eclectic reader but this one is a bit beyond my understanding. Positive thinking is one thing, magical thinking is another, which this book seems to endorse. That the unfortunate people of Rwanda and their plight was the result of "faulty" thinking? Really!!
Published on June 18, 2008 by Richard E. Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharing the real magic leading to a better life, April 28, 2007
This review is from: The Secret Behind The Secret Law of Attraction (Paperback)

Slowly the bloom came off the rose as I watched and listened to "The Secret" and thought about the pain and suffering people bear in the world and how they did not bring it upon themselves. How they responded to the effects of the things that happened to them as choices I can agree with, but not they were causal agents calling down horrors like rape, genocide and cancer.

The authors of this book - Bob Beverley, Dave Lakhani, Blair Warren and Kevin Hogan - have taken on a marketing megalith and knocked away some of the stones holding it up. At a time when others in the fields of multi-level marketing and persuasion are lining up to get on the bandwagon of Secrets-To-Come, they showed up and stepped up to say their piece about what you DON'T know about The Secret.

I imagine they've been slapped around a bit for speaking out as they have done here, and in other forums. I hope you read this book with an open mind, and not jump to the conclusion these authors are unrepentant skeptics who would dash the hopes of people wanting a better life. They show their integrity and respect for us by telling the truth as they see it, and backing it up. They trust us to listen to the truth they tell.

They also expect a level of paying attention that some readers may not be up to. This is not "The Secret For Dummies", and the authors are writing to make a point that they support with reason and example that are not spoon-feeding. You need to pay attention and put your critical thinking cap on (by `critical' I mean the part that thinks, not the part that kvetches) to get the most from this book. It's worth it.

How so? What are some of the things they share? Among them are the fast-and-loose treatment of quotes attributed to famous people by Ms. Byrne with an eye toward legitimizing The Secret. You know it's an old trick to make a message look better by linking it to a famous person, right? And, when you do it and it is true, it helps back a position with integrity. When you use quotes out of context, as was done here, it is l-a-m-e lame. I can just imagine what Churchill would say to someone twisting his words...I doubt it would be secret.

They are balanced in terms of looking at the way different people have talked about The Secret and its impact on them; both pro and con. I appreciate that balance in the face of some very emotional, personal attacks expressing their opinion has led to.

There is the harder truth, beyond the feel good glow, of those who put faith in The Secret and have been harmed by that faith. The authors care about the people who can be, and have been, hurt, and are eloquent in their concern -

"But what happens if we accept responsibility for everything in our

lives and it turns out we aren't responsible for everything?

What happens if it turns out the Law of Attraction isn't quite so

obedient and doesn't work every time?

And what happens if getting what we want using the Law of

Attraction isn't as easy as just placing an order with the Universe?

What happens is that a darker side of The Secret becomes readily

apparent as guilt quietly moves in and takes the place of hope."

Again, you are straightened up and called to think. How many people will live in hope and see that hope turn to guilt if all they do is `place their order', but take no action to pick it up and to pay for it, since the Universe is supposed to be picking up the tab?

Back in college I read the book `Blaming The Victim' as part of my social work studies. I think the authors capture that blame game approach taken by the purveyors of The Secret when it does not work as advertised. It is not that the supposed "Law" failed; but the people who do not get what they are seeking to attract have not been up to the challenge.

They did not do attraction `right' somehow. Or they did it right and brought down horror on themselves -

"Speaking about Ms. Byrne -

Here is her response to a question about the women and children being raped and butchered in Rwanda: "If we are in fear, if we're feeling in our lives that we're victims and feeling powerless, then we are on a frequency of attracting those things to us ... totally unconsciously, totally innocently, totally all of those words that are so important."

Yup, she's saying it's the women and children's fault. So, ladies, the Law of Attractioner advocates are obligated and would have you believe that if you have been raped, it's your fault anyway. You deserved it because that was the result you got."

Is your skin crawling, too?

I like that Kevin Hogan talked about scrapping a book he had written thirteen years ago, one that would have let him get on the coattails of the Secret because the evidence came rolling in and told him this was not true. Sounds like he could be making a pretty penny if he chose to sell it in today's climate of Secrecy, but he likes being able to look at himself in the mirror, thank you.

Your jaw may drop like mine did as you read about the viral marketing approach leading to the huge success behind The Secret. Hoo boy! Bring in a bunch of people to present The Secret who have a history of sharing good information (as I said, I have spend more than a few dollars on the other products of Secret Teachers, and I have found them helpful) and draw from a pool of people who believe in them. Then let the buzz build.

Their discussions about critical thinking are great, and the history they describe as relates to larger movements, propaganda and the way The Secret has spread are well-considered and interesting. They offer a series of questions you can apply to the debate around The Secret or any information you want to evaluate carefully and deliberately. Keep them handy.

So how DO you succeed? Thoreau said that "If you Advance (read it as take action) confidently in the direction of your dreams, you will meet with a success unimagined in waking hours". The authors spell it out this way -

"There is nothing magical about that, it is how all problems are solved - Identification, Attention, Focus, Action, Outcome, Reevaluate. That is the process for solving any problem or getting more of anything you want. And that may in fact be the ultimate edge.

Many of the products the Secret Teachers have created before The Secret rolled out that I have bought contain variants of just this philosophy. Interesting....

The last chapter, `Real Magic' really is magic with its sleeves rolled up, eager and ready to get down to getting it done, and hanging in as long as it takes. Savor it.

I have to lay one more quote from the book on you. "Coincidence favors action."

Read this book, make the real magic your own, put a growling smile on your face and GO FOR IT, writ large and excited, whatever the `it' is you want in this life. That is a secret worth sharing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, thought-provoking & eye-opening!, June 6, 2007
This review is from: The Secret Behind The Secret Law of Attraction (Paperback)
"The Secret" (By Rhonda Byrne) is one of the Amazon's bestselling books & dvds, but the most of the reader's reviews suggest that there's something wrong with the underlying premise, the Law of Attraction (LOA). For the uninitiated, here's what the LOA teaches:

You're a Magnet! Thinking good thoughts creates positive vibrational energy that enables you to attract your dream lover, wealth, success and happiness beyond your wildest dreams.

You're a Creator! You can think anything you want into existence. After all, the Law of Attraction is a scientific fact, just like the law of gravity.

You're got the Power! Forget about your higher power, the universe is at your command. Think, speak and write down your intentions... and don't forget to give thanks in advance for what's coming to you. Your "good vibrations" will be richly rewarded, but be sure to leave the outcome open-ended, so whatever happens is in your best interest.

You're a Look-the-Other-Wayer! Don't focus on anyone but yourself. That's right, look the other way when you see obesity, rape, abuse, injustice or crime. It's best to protect yourself by being in a positive vibrational energy all the time. The risk of attracting something you don't want is too great, so make it your practice to look the other way.

You're responsible! Yes, everything that happens in your life is your responsibility. Even events that seem out of your control are brought on by the magnetic energy of your thoughts. The downside is that you are also partially responsible for the Collective Social Consciousness that says, "It's not my problem." Yes, you're partially to blame for the holocaust, but don't worry about that. Let someone else worry about it who is ignorant about vibrational energy.

If you're reading this and shaking your head in unbelief, "The Secret Behind the Secret LOA" is for you. The book takes a critical look at "The Secret" as it examines it's magical thinking, something-for-nothing message, get-rich-quick appeal, and the "you're-one-product-away-from-success" upsell that's behind the bestselling book and movie.

Surprisingly, the authors admit that they'd love for the "Law of Attraction" to be possible. Contributing psychologist Kevin Hogan admits to doing a visualization exercise after discovering he had hyperkeratosis / Leukoplakia. Hogan found the surgical procedure for removing leukoplakia in a medical textbook, and memorized it. He then mentally performed the surgery on himself (by visualizing the operation in his mind) 50 times a day. When Hogan returned to the doctor, it was discovered that his hyperkeratosis was gone. It's a medical miracle that Hogan attributes to the "Attraction Factor" and priming (or using mental imagery to prepare your mind for the best possible outcome.) Hogan suggests the attraction factor is worth experimenting with, but admits it does not work all the time.

There are lots of gems in this book. Blair Warren says we think 60,000 thoughts daily, making self-monitoring (and consistent "good vibrations") just about impossible. Thinking isn't always black and white; as many things in life may feel bad (exercise, fasting, staying on a budget, etc) yet may be good for us. Dave Lakhani offers compelling reasons why "The Secret" resembles a cult, and suggests six alternative ways to get the edge. Bob Beverly shares seven keys to success and well-being.

Each of the four authors (Hogan, Warren, Lakhani, Beverly) take turns writing chapters, making this book a lot like a roundtable discussion. Together, they knock down the "house of cards" created by the Secret and it's followers. By reading this book, you too will be ready to offer an intelligent and sensitive rebuttal to "The Secret." Plus, think of all the time, money and energy you'll save by avoiding "Law of Attraction" books, cds, and seminars. That makes this book worth every penny of its cover price.

This book is recommended for anyone who had read or watched "The Secret" and wants to work through the issues surrounding the Law of Attraction. Personally, I've struggled with these issues myself, and this book really opened my eyes. Now, I realize that it's good to dream about what I want to accomplish in life, but "good vibrations" are not enough to make my dreams a reality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Someone Had to Say It, May 7, 2007
This review is from: The Secret Behind The Secret Law of Attraction (Paperback)
"Wishin and hopin and thinking and prayin .... Won't get you into his heart."

From Brenda Lee to Dusty Springfield to The MerseyBeats, how many people have to tell you that you have to actually do something to get what you want? Well if you are not into oldies pop radio, a new book has arrived on the scene to remind you that you are actually going to have to get off your butt to achieve your goals.

The authors of The Secret Behind the Secret Law of Attraction (Kevin Hogan, Bob Beverley, Dave Lakhani and Blair Warren) logically dismantle the claims made in The Secret, starting with proof that the Law of Attraction is not a physical law at all. From there the authors add proof of faulty quantum physics, misleading and falsified references and outright stupidity. Of course, people who want to believe that they can achieve anything they want simply by visualizing and accepting are not going to be deterred from the teachings of The Secret by something as mundane as logical argument. The authors are on a fool's errand and know it. But they felt compelled to speak out nonetheless.

This is not to say that the authors don't find some value in The Secret. Visualization and goal setting have long been tools towards achieving more and greater things. People with a sense of purpose in their lives reach out and live larger lives and The Secret encourages people to do this.

The aspect of The Secret that seems to have been the catalyst for the book is that the people behind The Secret blame the victims of crime and illness by saying those people attracted misfortune to them. The authors of The Secret Behind the Secret Law of Attraction cry foul out of a sense of common decency and compassion. More people should be doing so.

But the real value of the book is the analysis of how The Secret was and is marketed along with a stunning comparison of that marketing with how a cult recruits and brainwashes its followers.

For anyone who wants to learn how to ethically launch a marketing campaign that will create a loyal client base, this is the book to read. The Secret is a marketing phenomenon. So was the Pet Rock. Take The Secret as a great marketing example and apply it to your business. The Secret Behind The Secret Law of Attraction will show you how.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy tactics are NOT laws of science, May 7, 2007
This review is from: The Secret Behind The Secret Law of Attraction (Paperback)
Are state lotteries really a competition of who can visualize the hardest? I think not, but I heard this premise from a "Law of Attraction" platform seller.

Yes, positive thinking increases your likelihood of "attracting" positive results, but this is not a law of physics with replicable results. And, taking The Secret too seriously leads to rediculous assumptions. The victims of Virginia Tech did NOT "attract" their deaths. The Secret Behind The Secret discusses the ramifications of a well marketed movie taken too seriously by many. For the sake of your sanity and critical reasoning skills, if you have watched The Secret more than three times you need to buy this book.

I like The Secret. I'll watch it with friends. I'll give the movie to friends I imagine benefiting from concepts in The Secret. However, Law of Attraction zealots are like Christian Scientists who won't see a doctor to get an antibiotic when they are really sick.

If what you are thinking and doing aren't getting you the specific measurable results you expect, consider getting more scientific and taking action. Prayer may work, but simply thinking about winning doesn't make winners of all the lottery buyers.

No matter how much I visualize flying, gravity still works.

On the other hand:

"More people are humbugged by believing in too little than believing too much." --P.T. Barnum

5.0 out of 5 stars David Simone talks candidly about The Secret Behind The Secret Law of Attraction, February 21, 2011
This review is from: The Secret Behind The Secret Law of Attraction (Paperback)
I just completed a complete read of The Secret Behind The Secret Law of Attraction by Kevin Hogan, Dave Lakhani, Bob Beverly, and Blair Warren. This book has been out for quite a while. I've known about it. Didn't take action to order and read it until just recently. One of the stars in the DVD, The Secret, is Joe Vitale, who wrote the Foreword to a book that I have have coming out soon. Joe Vitale wrote about me in at least one of his other books. This book is written by four very smart and eloquent people who approach a hot topic with respect, kindness, and most importantly, honest viewpoints (backed by good research). I personally respect all of these authors. I personally know all but Bob Beverly. When I logged on to write this review, I was shocked to see only 8 reviews. Why so little? I know the hundreds of hours by these four men to produce this book and the effort and intent behind it was so important--and yet the book doesn't appear to have been well-received. Why? I'll tell you why.

"No normal human being wants to hear the truth. It is the passion of a small and aberrant minority of men, most of them pathological. They are hated for telling it while they live, and when they die they are swiftly forgotten." H. L. Mencken

That is why.

People aren't particularly interested in the truth. They seem more interested in what feels like the truth.

I loved the book. I love that somebody challenged the theory behind The Secret.

I love that people still take a concerted effort to expose questionable movements that affect thousands, or millions of people--not always in a positive way.

While I have a personal connection and care very deeply for Joe Vitale, and do, in fact, love the man, my views and experiences regarding The Secret and The Law of Attraction are very different than Joe's.

We're all on a path. At any given point on the path we can alter our direction in that path. I move towards truth and light the best I'm able. I'm grateful for Kevin, David, Bob, and Blair's brutally honest assessment of The Secret. I don't agree with everything in their views. Then, again, I go against the grain even in my own circles. My truth is not necessarily THE truth, or YOUR truth. I tell anyone, just seek the truth. You WILL find it, eventually. I think if you are a fan of The Secret or Law of Attraction (particularly if these are a large part of your daily lives, you NEED to read this book in it's entirety and fast. It's honest. It's probably the single most important document in defense of the TRUTH regarding what you are really dealing with.

I'm about 95% on board with the content in the book as very accurate and honest. I think these men have smartly addressed just about every angle of the movement--and they've done it with love and respect, even when it hurt.

Get the book. It's important.

4.0 out of 5 stars "What's Wrong With 'The Secret'?", February 24, 2009
****
This book is a critique of "The Secret" DVD and the whole "Law of Attraction" (LOA) phenomenon it popularized. It is written in an easily readable style by four different authors, and there is much repetition to make the points; I read it quickly in just one evening.

If you have ever questioned the LOA or wondered about your results with it, I think you might enjoy this book. Probably die-hard believers in the LOA will discount the author's points, but people who accept some but all of the LOA will find much to enjoy here. It helped me to sit down and really sort out what made sense to me and what didn't.

The web site for the book is thetruthisthesecret.com. If you like what you see there, you'll want to get the book.

Recommended.
****

4.0 out of 5 stars Not flawless, but well worth reading, May 4, 2007
Connie L. Schmidt "Cosmic Connie" (The Edge of Nowhere, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret Behind The Secret Law of Attraction (Paperback)
Let's get the disclaimers and qualifiers out of the way first. To begin with, I have publicly acknowledged on many occasions, mainly through my blog, "Whirled Musings," that I am no fan of "The Secret." So it is reasonable to assume I would be predisposed to a favorable view of material that is critical of "The Secret." Secondly, I am a friend of one of the authors of this book, who requested that I read it and share my thoughts on Amazon. But before you jump to conclusions about my objectivity, hear me out.

Regarding the first point, I acknowledge my bias. However, since the hype and dishonesty of the "New-Wage" movement is one of the things that I take such joy in satirizing on my blog, I would be a hypocrite if I were to write a glowing review about something I didn't like. And I may be many things, but a hypocrite I am not.

Further, I wouldn't be serving my friend or his collaborators well by blowing smoke up their patoots...which brings us to the second point. When making his request for my input, my friend was adamant about one thing: he wanted me to be honest. "Good or bad, we'll still be friends," he promised. I think it's important to mention this because he did not want to be one of those authors - and I think we can all name at least one or two - who work diligently to stack the reviews in their favor.

And so, taking my friend at his word, I'm going to give you my honest appraisal of this book. In a nutshell: Although I enjoyed it immensely, the edition I read is not a five-star effort. Yet despite its flaws it is well worth reading if you're at all interested in the effects that "The Secret" phenomenon has had on our culture.

First let's look at the factors that that kept me from giving this book five stars. Even before I review those, however, I want to mention a few things that, in my opinion, could potentially keep this book from having the best chance in a competitive marketplace. (And here I have to insert another disclaimer: Although a "book doctor" by trade, I am not trolling for work; my partner and I are covered over as it is.) Apart from the unwieldy title, a tag line that just did not work for me at all, and a rather lackluster cover, the edition I reviewed contained some typos and punctuation glitches, as well as a few incorrect names and book titles. To be fair, the authors noted at the beginning of the book that mistakes in the text will be corrected in subsequent editions, and I am assuming the errors will indeed be caught and corrected. The only reason I mention these points at all is that, in the event that these glitches are not corrected, I do not want to be perceived as being too easy on this book. :-)

In any case, since the edition I reviewed might not have been the "final final," I'll base my rating on content. My main complaint about this book is that in several places the writing seems a little disjointed. I don't mean that the book itself is disjointed; overall it seems to be pretty well organized, which is no mean feat considering that there are four distinctly different contributors. But in some portions, the thoughts seem somewhat scattered, as if the writer was just trying to get the basics down on paper and assumed that the reader would fill in the gaps. I hasten to add that even in the most disjointed portions, some good points were made, but a little refinement would have given them far more impact.

And now that we have the "bad news" out of the way, let's get to what I liked about this book. In style as well as substance, there is much to like in these pages. Despite the aforementioned "disjointed" portions, overall the writing works well for the type of book this is: the contributors employ a simple, informal style that is never condescending and is consistently engaging.

But it is the "substance" of this work that really shines. The book provides a good summary of the main objections most people have to "The Secret," and it offers an excellent examination of the veracity - or lack thereof - of the law of attraction (LOA). The authors manage to artfully deconstruct LOA, as it is presented in "The Secret," without trashing the concepts of positive thinking, gratitude, and other fine principles that even a cynic like yours truly can appreciate. They also take a good honest look at the marketing machine behind "The Secret" - the stunning success of the viral marketing campaign, and the aggressive promotional efforts of the various "stars" of the DVD. Equally important, the authors make some excellent points about critical thinking without coming across as "SkeptiNazis."

I also liked the fact that the criticisms of "The Secret" are presented from several points of view, including a Christian viewpoint. I'm not exactly a Christian myself, but many in the target audience are, and it was refreshing to see a Christian outlook that doesn't paint "The Secret" as the Devil's work. And whether they are religious or not, I think most critics would agree that there are moral as well as scientific issues at stake here. As a matter of fact, many people have expressed distaste for the narcissistic, seemingly amoral tone of the "The Secret," and especially of its "let them eat cake" creator, Rhonda Byrne. "The Secret Behind The Secret LOA" addresses these issues without being moralistic or self-righteous.

That the authors also make a stab at offering some advice on realistic ways to improve one's life - sans magical thinking and unrealistic hopes - is commendable. If you've read my blog, you know I'm not exactly a huge fan of self-help. And if I believe that someone is subtly or blatantly pushing an agenda, in the guise of helping others, I'm quick to point it out. In fact, in my jaded view, a person who gives any kind of self-help advice is a "hustledork" until proven otherwise. Yet in the context of this particular book, the authors' advice is entirely appropriate. Unlike a purely journalistic endeavor such as Steve Salerno's (pre-Secret) book, Sham: How the Self-Help Movement Made America Helpless - the purpose of which was only to describe the problem, not offer a solution - I believe that "The Secret Behind The Secret LOA" would not be serving its readers well without its tidbits of advice about what people can do to make their lives better.

After all, to a greater or lesser degree these authors make their living helping people improve their lives, and they would be remiss if they didn't share a bit of their wisdom. Besides, unlike other Internet marketers I could name but won't, these guys aren't blatantly pushing their own products and services on every page of this book.

And the plain fact is, there's a lot of truth in their words. Furthermore, even though they are very critical of "The Secret," they are not critical of those who may have found sustenance in the DVD or the book. I think the concluding paragraph in the introduction sums up the spirit in which this book is offered: "In short, it is our sincere hope that this book will have its own sort of magic - if only by illustrating the magic of understanding and the universally-needed secret act of respecting those with whom we differ and having compassion and love toward all." Those are words to make even a cynic take notice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Psychobabble revisited, June 18, 2008
This review is from: The Secret Behind The Secret Law of Attraction (Paperback)
The crux of this book in my opinion is embodied in pages 113-115 on the "Law of Extraction"...describes this book and all books, DVD's etc. dealing with this "Secret Law of Attraction" perfectly. Life is a series of choices..always..good or bad. And consequences stem directly from those choices people make...simple as that. No brainer..duhhh, as they say. This is nothing more than a twist on the "name it, claim it" feel-good theology rampant in the world today. Don't waste your money on this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars GARBAGE, June 22, 2008
This review is from: The Secret Behind The Secret Law of Attraction (Paperback)
This is nothing but a rehash of New Age teaching (repackaged Hinduism) sprinkled with the occult.

If you are a seeker of truth, THIS IS NOT IT. Don't waste your money.

The Secret Behind The Secret Law of Attraction
The Secret Behind The Secret Law of Attraction by Kevin Hogan (Paperback - April 15, 2007)
$19.95 $16.55