Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Secret Language of Financial Reports: The Back Stories That Can Enhance Your Investment Decisions
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

94%

on April 16, 2008
Professor Mark Haskins is a wonderfully talented teacher and his talents are evident in this book. In a style reflective of how he teaches, he has written a book on financial reports that is fun, informative and easy to read. After spending three decades using financial reports as a business executive, I found a wealth of information in this book that enriched my understanding of financial reports. This book should be required reading for every business executive so they understand all facets of financial reporting, particularly in light of the financial statement attestations required by the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002. Any serious investor will benefit as well by Mark's clear explanations of the assumptions and estimates in financial reports. Bravo to Mark Haskins for an exceptional book!
on August 7, 2013
This book was a "recommended summer reading" for my accounting class. I found it to be a great overview of basic accounting and financial reports. The author weaves in humor and his own opinions in a way that makes the otherwise dry subject engaging. I would recommend it!
on March 21, 2014
I have been in the process of trying to understand reading financial statements along with learning all of the business language. It is a process that over several books, I have started to get the language. However, once I finally received the correct advice to read Mark Haskins book: The Secret Language of Financial Reports, I had clarity of the language and concepts. Finally a book that explains it all in stories and comparisons to real life. If I had only read this book first, it would not have taken me so long to get the concepts. I HIGHLY recommend this book!!!!!
on January 5, 2013
Mark Haskins's "Secret Language of Financial Reports" does a wonderful job of applying colloquial terminology and real-world examples to the practice of financial accounting.

This book is a great reference for any manager or investor who may be tasked with understanding a balance sheet, income statement, or statement of cash flows. Haskins doesn't tell you "what it means," he takes it a step further to explain "what it does."

Haskins sense of context is an asset to anyone examining a financial report - he is laser-focused on getting to the "truth" behind the numbers.
on February 3, 2012
This is a superb guide to financial accounting. I never thought I would say this about an accounting text but Haskins' book is very engaging and accessible (even fun at times). Had accounting been conveyed to me this way as an undergraduate I would have done far better in my accounting courses! His insights are invaluable to anyone who reviews cost and pricing data on a regular basis. I would recommend this to anyone new to financial accounting or looking for a refresher.
on December 30, 2010
Professor Mark Haskin's book, The Secret Language of Financial Reporting, is an excellent resource for anyone interested in understanding an annual report and interpretting financial statements. He explains complex concepts so clearly your grandmother could understand them. Each chapter provides "The Inside Scoop" and a "Practical Application" to further explain the chapter take-aways and its easy-to-read structure creates reference points for later review. I highly recommend this book.
on January 23, 2011
Great overview of Financial Reports. The author puts a lot of effort in trying to make the topic clear. My understanding increased greatly although I still have some questions but it's hard to cover ever little nuance in a single book.

If you are looking for a book on how to make investment decisions based on financial reports, this book does not cover that topic but if you are looking to understand what is in a financial report I highly recommend this book.
on May 30, 2008
I am a novice investor, and I was looking for just such a book to help decipher company financial reports. This book is very informative and allows one to interpret financial reports with some knowledge. It is not difficult to read, but, despite the author's best intentions, it is a dry subject. However, I believe that the intelligent investor would do well to go through a book like this prior to investing in the stocks of public companies - investing directly in stocks without understanding the financial status of a company is like throwing darts blindfolded.
on September 24, 2010
As someone who does not have a background in finance, Professor Haskins' book certainly goes a long way to distill the often mind boggling jargon associated with financial reports. Full disclosure, I attended "Finance for Non-Financial Managers" at the Darden School of Business and Professor Haskins was one of the instructors. The class was outstanding and so is this book. An understanding of Financial Reports is a perishable skill if you do not use it with any degree of frequency - this book is certainly well written enough to maintain your skills right at your fingertips. I give this book my highest personal recommendation.
on March 10, 2009
Mark Haskins' book, "The Secret Language of Financial Reports", is a must read for every manager. He explains in simple terms how to disect an annual report to learn the true story of a company's performance and potential. Dr. Haskins covers how to read balance sheets, income statements, and statements of cash flow, which are skills every manager should have. Our Fortune 100 company has provided over 400 copies of this book to our managers and has made it required reading for some of our internal business courses, and every student's evaluation of the book has been outstanding. There is no easier read on these topics!