5.0 out of 5 stars Change your money story, change your life
Perhaps you have read The Richest Man in Babylon or The Automatic Millionaire. Both of those books teach you how to handle your money. But in my mind they are a lot like many weight loss books that advise you to eat less and exercise more. If you do that you certainly will lose weight.

And if you follow the advice in either of the two books mentioned, you...
Published on August 24, 2009 by John Chancellor

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Rip-off
The kindle price of only a few $$$ less than the discounted hardcover price is terrible. You can not share or re-sell the kindle version so that lowers its value.
Published on September 5, 2009 by Tom Clary

5.0 out of 5 stars Change your money story, change your life, August 24, 2009
This review is from: The Secret Language of Money: How to Make Smarter Financial Decisions and Live a Richer Life (Hardcover)

And if you follow the advice in either of the two books mentioned, you will be able to manage your money. But the problem is more than just knowing what to do with money, it is doing it. Everyone knows what they should do with their money. Spend less than you earn, save for a rainy day. The problem is doing it.

And that is where The Secret Language of Money offers a real service to its readers. It goes beyond the spend less, save more mantra and takes an in-depth look at how our lives are totally wrapped around how we view money.

The first thing the book does is to show how interwoven our money story is with our lives. We use money to represent many different things. And we try to use money to do things that it cannot do. We try to use money to "alter our moods, increase our self-esteem, and control others. We use money to try to soothe emotional pains and to buy the respect of others and ourselves." The more we try to do with money, the less we understand it.

Our money story is so complex that we often refuse to fully examine how we think about money. There are countless people who are afraid to really face their money beliefs. And if you are not aware of your money story, you will be powerless to alter it.

The book is filled with real life examples that Dave shares with us from his professional practice. And there are lessons to be learned from each case study.

There is also an interesting recount of some of history's largest financial scams and speculative bubbles along with advice on how to avoid being scammed or falling into the speculative bubble trap. As a nation we would have been much better off if collectively we had heeded this advice and avoided the sub-prime mortgage meltdown.

The book is also filled with exercises that will allow you to uncover your own personal money story and then to rewrite it in a healthier way.

Unfortunately we are a consumer society and have been lead to believe that money will bring us the happiness we seek. Nothing could be further from the truth. As you will learn reading this book, the more we seek happiness through money, the more disappointed we are likely to be. We have experienced a steady rise in wealth but a corresponding steady decline in our perceived state of happiness.

The solution is to understand the way you feel about money and what money means to you. Then sort out your ideals, needs and wants. Make sure that your wants do not dictate your life.

In my opinion, the most important concept in the book is, "Your new money story begins with determining not what it is that you want to have, but who it is you want to be."

The book is well written and full of interesting stories to drive home the points being made. There are numerous exercises that will shed lots of light on your money story.

Your money story is completely intertwined with your life - make sure it is correct. This book will help you understand your money story and make the necessary changes to lead to a happier more productive life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all financial advisors and their clients!, January 18, 2011
This is one of my favorite books of the past 12 months.

David Krueger does a fabulous job peeling back the layers of money and all of the emotions that come with it. Whether we like it or not, for most of us, money is an emotional issue. Yet, it is this emotion, as described by Mr. Krueger, that is the exact thing that gets us into trouble with money. To find your way to true financial success and to have true peace of mind in your life, understanding your emotional connection with money is critical.

Mr. Krueger provides a tremendous amount of excellent research, ideas and suggestions for readers to consider as they uncover their own relationship with money.

In all of my experience working with my clients and other financial advisors, dealing with one's emotional aspect of money is always the most challenging. Yet, it is the bridge that empowers both the client and the advisor to achieve many exciting financial outcomes.

If you want to be successful, you must read this book once a year for the rest of your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to better understand your relationship with money, October 26, 2010
First of all, it irritates me that the two one star reviews were really just complaints about the cost of the kindle version which has nothing to do with the content of the book. As of this writing all the other reviews are five stars which is what the book deserves. It is an excellent book for making you question yourself and realize how you think about money. Then it offers specific insights that will expand your perspective and enable you to have a relationship with money that will enhance your life. It's a book that makes you re-think things you've taken for granted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and practical, December 12, 2012
A. Ricardez (Mexico City, Mexico) - See all my reviews
This book was easy to read, it is not the typical "start paying your credit card with lowest balance first". What I really liked about it is the focus on the internal aspects of money. Even though it is not a magic solution is a very interesting starting point for every single person to understand what "money" means to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Krueger makes it easy to learn new ways of thinking.. highly recommend you buy it!, December 9, 2012
This book has stretched my brain. Dr. David Krueger has a way with words. While I think he's brilliant, his writing style is easy to read and comprehend by those of us who do not have doctorates in hand. This subject could be difficult, but he's brought a complex issue that is delivered in a simple and straightforward manner.

By reading this book I learned how I'd learned from my parents how to think about money and the other decisions I make daily as an adult. Now I feel able to start making better decisions for myself and my financial future. And normally, I am not one to read a lot of self help books, as I've distrusted how valuable they can really be. Lesson learned!

My brain has a lot of new information to think about. It's amazing how much information is provided in this book, without overloading me or giving me the feeling of needing to put it down. My brain is still processing all of this information, and I'm sure I will be reading this book again as a refresher. I really recommend this book. It's made a difference already in my thinking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good stuff, September 18, 2009
It really makes you think about what stops you from being free. Free from being emotional about money, from taking it for something else, from using it otherwise than for what it is supposed to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you!, July 15, 2013
This book was extremely helpful in understanding the reasons why I treated money the way I did. I can now take care of my money in a healthy way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, September 21, 2009
This book has an excellent message on how to be smart with the money you have and earn. It also awakens your inner peace and gratitude towards everything you have no matter how little or big you think it is. I love it and recommend it even to teenagers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Book, June 15, 2014
This book definitely caused a paradigm shift in my thinking towards money. I learned what my definition of money was and why I magnetize it or repel it with my actions. I promote this book to everyone that I know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Money Really Does Talk, June 21, 2010
Krueger states in the introduction, "This book is a rare glimpse into the secret conversation you hold with yourself about the meaning of money in your life."

This book helps you find out your personal relationship with money and what it all really means in your life. I was intrigued by the title and found myself completely engrossed as I began reading it. There is a definite psychology of money in how we perceive, work, save, spend, and plan for the future with it.

I found this book to be informative, interesting, and entertaining. It's easy to follow and asks some extremely important questions with quizzes throughout. It's laid out in three sections, like a three act screenplay: Your Money Story, Plot Twists, and Writing a New Money Story. It also teaches you how to have a game plan, specific goals, and how to make grounded decisions about money.

Find out what your life money story is telling you and what you can do about it. I recommend this book for anyone who is serious about making a money plan and sticking to it. It's a book that you'll find yourself referring to over and over.

-Jennifer Chase, Author of Compulsion & Dead Game