5.0 out of 5 stars The Secret of Shelter Island -- Money and What Matters
Published on July 9, 2009 by MRubio

3.0 out of 5 stars Generalities
Published on October 10, 2009 by T Rosh

5.0 out of 5 stars The Secret of Shelter Island -- Money and What Matters, July 9, 2009
MRubio (Orlando FL) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this book. It was a great source of inspiration about the role of money in pursuit of "the good life". But it was also a surprisingly fun read too. I found myself returning to the chapter on The Difference Between Getting Rich and Being Rich several times. It's refreshing to have a book such as this which delves into the essence of acquiring wealth and the Secret of Shelter Island. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a book about money, June 11, 2009
A terrific book - each little chapter is like a nugget of practical instruction for how to be happy, whether you're rich or not.

This book puts money into perspective, without in anyway downplaying its importance. Very unusual combination, and very useful.

If you like investing and making money - but suspect there's more to life than your bank balance - you will enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Worthwhile..., June 12, 2009
As an avid reader, particularly of books about money, I've become a bit skeptical regarding content. Much of what I read is either too obvious or completely nonsensical. But I'm happy to report that this author's effort is legit. The philosophies that underpin this book are truly unique -- ones I'll likely incorporate into my life's approach. And I can only say that about a handful of books, lately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top 5, July 12, 2009
The Secret of Shelter Island is now one of my top 5 inspirational books. This book should be required reading for all but not until age 30... otherwise you might not get it.

Mike

3.0 out of 5 stars Generalities, October 10, 2009
T Rosh (West Coast) - See all my reviews
Most of the reviews for this book were pretty good so I purchased it. I am a little disappointed because most of the information is very general using a lot of clichés and platitudes. There is very little detail or practical information. If a person is searching for general spiritual philosophy, or not to let money rule you, this may be helpful. For more practical information, there are better books available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rarely is Finance so entertaining, June 27, 2009
Even if you don't have any money to invest, I would recommend reading anything Alex Green writes. His sharp wit, and the way he salts his themes with poignant examples from real life, makes his articles fun to read, entertaining and informative. Don't be fooled by the "snore" review - that guy has some sour grapes issues, make your own decision by reading some of Alex's writings for yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Secret of Shelter Island, July 17, 2009
Rob W. (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
The book Shelter Island is really a series of short vignettes about many facets of life. It is easy reading and touches the heart strings. It is inspirational and
has a place in everyone's library. Great work Alexander Green.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, June 11, 2009
D.M. (Trenton, NJ) - See all my reviews
Really good insight and thoughtfulness, truely inspirational. Alex Green explains why we all need to stop and "smell to roses," but not only that. He reminds us that smelling the roses isn't just a waste of time or something to do on our way to something else, it's a way to make our life a little better, more fulfilling. It's the little things. Really well done book, I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Little Bit of Sanity, August 12, 2009
I am enjoying this book, it is a little bit of sanity in the volatility of this world. It brings us back to what is really important to us. Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book really makes you think, August 14, 2009
Mariusz Skonieczny "Author" (classicvalueinvestors com) - See all my reviews
I think that it is easy to say that there is more to life than money, but very difficult to accept it, especially when people are losing their jobs, which leads to foreclosures. On top of that, they are seeing their 401(k)s plunge to unbelievably low levels. They might have to keep working for many more years to be able to retire.

With that being said, I fairly enjoyed this book. It reminded me of the important things in life. I am guilty of focusing on certain goals, and, at times, forget to slow down and smell the roses as the author says to do. I found this book to be inspirational.

- Mariusz Skonieczny, author of Why Are We So Clueless about the Stock Market? Learn how to invest your money, how to pick stocks, and how to make money in the stock market

The Secret of Shelter Island: Money and What Matters
The Secret of Shelter Island: Money and What Matters by Alexander Green (Paperback - June 1, 2010)
$16.95 $15.48