Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc blink-182 Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on February 15, 2011
Have you ever wondered why some people just seem to never get sick?

I get sick about three times a year I'd say but for some, they just seem to avoid it all together.

In "The Secrets of People Who Never Get Sick:" by Gene Stone, we learn 25 ways that seem to be the secrets to these people's health.

Among these secret; Brewers Yeast, Friends, Probiotics, Good Genes, and Yoga. In addition to those six, there are 19 more secrets that are not only simple and easy to add into your life.

While it may be tough to live in a Blue Zone, it is possible that we could try to create one and all live long and healthy lives like the people in Nicova, Costa Rica. Learn more about these amazing places in Gene Stone's book.

I have already incorporated Brewer's Yeast into my diet. I sprinkle it on salads and sweet potato fries, and add it to my oatmeal and baked goods."The secrets of People who Never Get sick" tells some easy ways to incorporate these secrets into your life.

And this Author knows his stuff, he's been a co-author of many books two of them New York Times bestsellers! He says in the book that he has tried all kinds of remedies. He's really done his research here, this book isn't just a book of crazy ideas and old wives tails. They are simple habits that you can add into your day to help you stay healthy and give your body what it needs!

This book is an excellent read, its hard to put down. I don't know anybody who couldn't benefit from reading a book like this. The chapters are readable and are easily finished in a short period of time making it a great book to bring with you for a day filled with appointments. Or if you want something to read when you're getting that short break from the kids.
on December 19, 2010
Twenty five of them: Blue Zones, Brewer's Yeast, Caloric Reduction, Chicken Soup, Cold Showers, Detoxification, Eating Dirt, Friends, Garlic, Germ Avoidance, Good Genes, Herbal Remedies, Hydrogen Peroxide, Lifting Weights, Napping, pH Balance, Plan-Based Diet, Positive Attitude, Probiotics, Running, Spirituality, Stresslessness, Stretching, Vitamin C and Yoga.

Most of them are common sense. We already know. But it is good to have this list in mind.

The book "Okinawa Program" by Dr. Makoto Suzuki, is also a great book for longevity tips. I visited Dr. Suzuki in his Okinawa office. He was 75, but looked 50. His secret? No stress, eat a balance meal, and enjoy life.

I recommend this book to all. The book will be better if any research data are collected and presented.
on March 4, 2011
He asks the question: Why do people get sick?

"Despite centuries of lifesaving advances in medicine and public health, medical professionals still can't tell us how to stay well. The common cold is just as common as it was eons ago, and sickness itself shows no sign of abating." (from the Introduction)

This book takes a stab at answering this age-old question from a personal angle on science and wades through the waters of up-to-date research from a story-driven perspective.

Stone is a journalist and he interviewed people who are healthy and swear by a certain remedy. Some of these are old remedies you've heard from your grandma - like eating garlic - and some are more modern (like lifting weights).

All, however, are not just far-fetched tales of the never-sick. Stone tells the stories by backing them up with the latest research and science to explain why these remedies may in fact keep these people from being sick.

The book covers 25 remedies over a wide spectrum - from blue zones and brewers yeast to yoga. Each chapter is written as a stand-alone article, so it's easy to pick up the book and read a chapter of interest, skipping around. For me, it wasn't a cover-to-cover read, but I'm keeping the book around the house and I continue to pick it up from time to time.

The aspect I loved most about the book is that it looks at health (and healthy living and disease prevention) from a holistic perspective. It recognizes food remedies (such as brewers yeast and garlic) as preventions, but also non-food nourishment, too. Such chapters include: positive attitude (I know how much this plays a role in my own health!), spirituality, and friends.

Not many science-y books are recognizing the importance of paying attention to non-food aspects of life in order to prevent disease. I love that this book is.

It's an interesting read - especially if you are more science-minded. I recommend it (and am passing it on to a health counseling client this very afternoon).
on January 30, 2011
It looked like one of those books that I should read. I'm getting older, I need to evaluate my health. The whole deal. The problem is that books that I should read are often dense and seem to make no effort to keep me engaged from fact to fact.

That wasn't the case with "The Secrets of People Who Never Get Sick." The book is a great compilation of best health practices. It's never preachy and doesn't seem to try to veer your health one way or the other. Instead, the book takes a look at some healthy life choices, and gives you the research as well as the historical origins of each. It's a great pick-and-choose sampling with a great range. From the history of the intense caloric reduction diet to alternative benefits of hydrogen peroxide, there is a lot here. And, none of it is overwhelming. Picking just a few could make a notable impact on just about anybody's over health. Great book. A perfect book to read before you make your next batch of resolutions.

Chris Bowen
Author of, "Our Kids: Building Relationships in the Classroom
on May 11, 2014
I enjoyed reading this book and found it very informative. It prompts me to experiment with some of these health secrets in my own daily regimen. I realize, however, that what works for one person, may not work for many others. I recommend this book, none the less, for all those interested in their own health.
on March 6, 2013
This was an interesting book. The focus group of people in the book share what they do to stay healthy- most importantly what works for them . Once you read it-head out on your own fact-finding mission and research additional ways to stay healthy. A few variables include- eating vegetables, drinking plenty of water, exercise and little or no stress. This is a pass-along book, once you read it, pass it along for someone else to enjoy and learn from.
on October 4, 2011
Fun facts abound in this book, though some are definitely not for those with queasy stomachs. Many of the tips in the book are great, though I found a few disappointing -- such as "good genes" as a trick of people who never get sick. Since it's not possible to control our genes, the trick was worthless, as far as I was concerned.

One thing mentioned in the book that I found interesting was that many "home remedy" type tricks aren't widely studied for their efficacy because drug manufacturers can't make money from something they can't patent. All the better reason to explore some of these ideas, such as using hydrogen peroxide or garlic as beneficial to our health.

Many of the ideas presented in the book are backed up with study results and anecdotes from faithful practitioners. Cautions are provided when necessary for those readers who may too enthusiastically take some of the ideas to heart.
on December 27, 2010
Good read to discover how some manage to stay healthy, it is interesting to discover some of these techniques though many will not apply to all. But some of these techniques may work and could help others who have never heard of them and could certainly be a benefit to help those who struggle with health concerns. As the author suggests use caution when trying some of these methods.
on April 7, 2013
Fascinating review of a number of theories of amazing good health with real life examples. There is a thread that seems to run through all of the examples related to natural eating, avoiding processed food, light calorie & meat consumption, exercise and positive attitude. Surprised??
on March 4, 2014
Well-written and researched, this is a great collection for people just starting to consider healing and maintaining their health without relying on prescription medication. Some regimens were new to me, others were quite familiar, and all are presented in an informational, concise, actionable way.