5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Better PRACTICAL Self-Help Tools Available
Published on March 13, 2006 by Peter Messerschmidt

1.0 out of 5 stars Here's a way to save $15
Apparently, I am in the minority here, but don't waste a dime on this book, or god forbid, the $400 Sedona Method Course on CD. This review is based on my completion of the TWENTY CD course, in which this book is included.

Published on November 1, 2007 by Michael "Spike" Behn

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Better PRACTICAL Self-Help Tools Available, March 13, 2006
This review is from: The Sedona Method: Your Key to Lasting Happiness, Success, Peace and Emotional Well-Being (Paperback)
Over the past couple of decades, I have read a LOT of books that address the issue of creating a better life and ending "personal suffering." The "problem" with most of these teachings-- although certainly worthy-- is that they either require extensive learning, or following the ways of a Teacher (to the exclusion of ALL others) for *years*, before some level of self-awareness is reached.

The Sedona Method has certain aspects of "New-Age Mumbo Jumbo" it is also the antithesis of most "wishful thinking" programs. while basically offering very similar tools and skills to many of history's great Teachers in the tradition of nonduality. Here's a tool for everyday living, that you simply just take home and apply right away. I say this not only from the perspective of having read the book, but also from having attended seminars with the author, Hale Dwoskin.

Many teachers and "systems" explain how we are held back in life by old memories and patterns. Essentially, we will recoil from, or even fear, certain situations... and when we do so, we're not actually responding to the PRESENT situation, we are responding to a MEMORY. What makes The Sedona Method stand out is its simple, easy to apply steps to moving on. No need to sit at some guru's feet for 10 years, no need to spend $5000 on seminars. The Sedona Method is a systematic "distillation" of the insights of a man named Lester Levenson who underwent a profound life change after being told he had only three weeks to live. Levenson defied the odds offered him by doctors, and lived another 40+ years.

The core of the Sedona Method is extemely simple: "Letting go" or "releasing" the feelngs and emotions that arise around whatever issue is facing you, and are causing you to feel stuck. In some ways, it is not dissimilar from the teachings of Don Miguel Ruiz (The Four Agreements), in that it follows a basic "release your attachment to the outcome" premise. Perhaps that sounds overly simplistic as a life-altering tool, but it isn't. And the benefits are immediate.

The book offers up a number of steps (basically in the form of questions you ask yourself) which will allow you to let go of pretty much any kind of "stuck" feeling you might have. A variety of scenarios are offered, so the method can be applied broadly to everything from setting life goals (overcoming negative "it'll never work" self-talk) to overcoming fears of specific events. It does require a little practice to get used to the idea of "releasing" everytime you encounter one of life's obstacles... I personally found that it took me about a couple of months before the system became "second nature."

About the book itself, it is a mixture of description, exercises and "real life examples" of how people have put variations of the method to use. Whereas it is easy to read, it does get incredibly repetitive, after a while, and some readers might find this a tad frustrating. The book also leans towards pointing the finger at "feelings" as the culprits behind most of our personal suffering, and I found this a bit offputting, at times-- but it's a very minor niggle.

Having read the book AND been exposed to the material in seminar settings, the best I can offer is this: The book DOES stand alone, and most people can easily learn and apply the method without taking a seminar. The workshops (which can be pretty expensive) offer the benefit of the "full immersion" experience, and might be helpful for those who don't believe they are the best "self-starters" in the world. However, taking a class is NOT necessary to get the benefits.

Final thoughts: Highly recommended (9 out of 10 possible bookmarks) for anyone looking for a practical way to address and move beyond old patterns. On the other hand if you're attached to the idea that self-awareness is complicated and "must" happen as a result of studying with a guru for 10 years, then this book is probably not for you!

Thanks for reading!

--Peter

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally Good Book for Relieving Emotional Stress, October 31, 2003
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Although I have read dozens of self-help books and attended weeks of self-help seminars, none of those books and seminars helped me in the profound way that The Sedona Method has.
The book's core observation is that we allow emotions based on old memories to block our minds and bodies from experiencing what is possible now. Many self-help authors make the same point.
What makes The Sedona Method different from the others is the proposed method for eliminating those emotions. I have learned many other techniques for changing memories (such as the Tony Robbins Swish pattern) and use meditation to withdraw from emotions. I have found that meditation has worked best for me in the past. While meditating, my head is pleasantly vibrating and I feel at mental peace. With The Sedona Method teachings, I find that my whole body shudders pleasantly into relaxation and peace. In other words, this process causes me to enjoy a greater release from old memories and emotions than I had thought possible. It's a wonderful gift.
So what do you have to do to enjoy this peace? You just need to ask yourself a series of questions (and the book is full of exercises to help you do that). I soon found that I did not need to ask all of the questions. With practice, I could just release negative emotions whenever I wanted to.
This book came to me at a very stressful time . . . just after my Father died. I find that the grieving process has been greatly eased by the emotional releases I can stimulate any time I want.
To get the most benefit from this book, you should practice every day to establish new habits. I read the book over two weeks to help make that transition. In retrospect, I would have done better to have read it over more weeks and practiced more each day. I plan to reread the book now to deepen my benefit.
What was most impressive to me was that I could get so much benefit without going to a class or listening to an audio version. I suspect the teachings would be much more powerful in those forms. But you certainly can experience great things from just reading the book, doing the exercises, practicing and remembering to use the teachings when those emotions well up.
May your days be filled with tranquility and a greater sense of what is possible!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great way to rid painful thinking and experience more peace., August 8, 2005
P. DAVIS "phil36297" (Pisgah Forest, NC United States) - See all my reviews
To get the best understanding of this material, start with it's source... Lester Levenson's books "No Attachments, No Aversions" and "The Ultimate Truth About Love & Happiness." The Sedona Method is based on Lester's profound midlife, near-death experience and his resulting realization of his true nature... one of unlimited freedom and beingness. He shared these life changing insights freely for the rest of his life... 42 years after being told he would die within three weeks.

What the Sedona Method is good at, is creating a step-by-step process out of Lester's profound but sometimes disjointed teachings. But in doing so, the book can seem very redundant because of the simplicity of the teaching. It's probably best experienced in person at one of their seminars, since it requries a lot of reflection, writing and introspection. (Something most people would skip over and therefore miss the benefit of the exercises.) I have not been to their seminars, so this is not a plug, just an observation.

Lester's books are a quick read and really set the stage for understanding the Sedona Method or Release Technique as it's sometimes called. These techniques are really not meant as an end in themselves, but more as a way to clear out the mental clutter so we can begin, like Lester did, to experience our true nature of timeless, limitless beingness. It's very freeing.

Releasing will improve your life, decrease your anxiety, improve your health, decrease your stress and blood pressure and make life easier. If that's all you want. Lester said only one in a million wanted what he could really give, the knowledge of who we really are beyond name and form, beyond a body and a brain. He must have been a remarkable person from what I've read and the lives he touched.

I recommend the Sedona Method, but more importantly, I recommend going beyond just improving your life, with the ultimate goal of discovering who you truly are. That was Lester's greatest wish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn to Let Go, September 11, 2003
By A Customer
I have been searching for the perfect self help solution for many years. I have purchased well over 100 self help category books and programs and have spent thousands of dollars. Some of these programs have provided limited relief, but rarely the positive improvement promised. I can honestly say that the Sedona Method Program and book have provided me with the permanent relief I have been searching for, so many years. I urge you to try it. You will not be disappointed. The Sedona Method will not compromise any of your beliefs nor require you to use complicated steps to achieve a rapid reduction/elimination of stress, anxiety, fears, and Phobias.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Companion To The Course, August 31, 2003
I've got the Sedona Method course on CD and find it to be a very simple yet effective method for reducing stress (and much more). The concept of letting go of thoughts and emotions is a basic yet powerful one.
I just got through reading this book and was delighted to see that it is not merely a transcript of the Sedona Method course. It provides a lot of insights and good solid written material and examples which serve as an excellent compliment to the basic course.
It has been very helpful to have some written material to backup that which is in the taped sessions. While listening to the tapes I just didn't have enough time to be doing the exercises and also taking notes. This book serves perfectly as my notes on the course. It is a great companion and refresher on the concepts of the Sedona Method.
Also, if you have been considering attending or buying the Sedona Method course - you should really check out this book as it gives complete and in-depth information about the course. This is not just a teaser book that constantly admonishes you to get to the course to learn more. This gives the actual material that is in the course which costs a couple hundred dollars at least.
This has been an exceptionally useful concept to me which I rate as somewhere between meditation and self-help. Well worth a look for anybody seeking to improve their thoughts and actions.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK IS A MUST HAVE IF YOU WANT TO BE FREE!, September 4, 2003
By A Customer
This book is an invaluable adjunct to taking the live Sedona Method Course, and as a stand alone!
I was introduced to the Sedona Method approximately 20 years ago, while I was going through a very painful divorce. I saw how this approach was very simple, direct, and powerful, especially in helping me to go through the pain I was experiencing. I had studied many change processes, and had gone through many personal growth seminars, workshops and intensives prior to that time, and since then. I found the Sedona Method to be the most elegant and straightforward of the ones I have experienced. Even though I use other techniques and processes, I continually return to the simplicity of the Sedona Method.
It has opened inner doors for me that have been sweet, and profound. It has allowed me to explore my inner nature in a very gentle, yet commanding way. I have used it with most of my clients in my private psychology practice, and have seen how it has helped most people make changes that are transformative in nature. And yet, it is so easy to learn and to apply on a moment-to-moment basis. It is truly a gift that comes from a place of purity and truth.
I have also had the sacred privilege of meeting Lester Levinson, the founder of the Sedona Method, on a number of occasions prior to his death. I was always aware of how present he was, totally there for whomever he was with. His presence inspired me to continue the journey of releasing, and to go ever-deeper into the heart of my soul.
The SEDONA METHOD BOOK has managed to capture the most important elements of the live course, and the essence of what Lester lived and taught. DO YOURSELF AND YOUR SOUL A FAVOR, AND READ IT TODAY! - Daniel Sternberg, Ph.D.

1.0 out of 5 stars Here's a way to save $15, November 1, 2007

The message of the "Method" is simple: bring up postive and negative emotions/thoughts, experience the "feelings" and simply "Release" them. THAT'S IT. Except it gets repeated probably 200 times focusing on different thoughts - extaordinarily tedious. Releasing on your grudges and obsessions is valid enough, in that it clears the mind to view them objectively, but how many times do you need to repeat this exercise? Get the idea, try to use it and that's that.

Additionally, in the CD version, which is simply a taping of a weekend seminar, whenever anyone asked why or how this works, they were told to simply "release" on that thought/question. Had I paid $1,800 for that weekend course, "just release on that" wouldn't have cut it!

The Course is another of those "Nervana In a Box" concepts that promises everything from weight loss, quitting smoking and general happiness just by completing a quick course or book. True personal growth and enlightenment take arduous work, TIME, research of ideas and sole searching - not a quick fix by any means. These "Box" approaches dispense with knowlege and replace it with "Just do what we tell you and all will be rosey". Not only do I find these ineffectual, but they are really rather mindless.

Mind you, there are some that swear by Sedona - as evidenced by the ratings here, so obviously it has value. But, seeking the quick, mindless fix seems a sorry state of affairs.

Finally, simply go to sedona.com and order the demo DVD. You DO have to pay the shipping (rather odd...), but not only will this give you a very good idea what it is about, but in fact, it's all you need to "get" what the course offers.

Fortunately, I was able to resell the program on an auction site, so it cost me little. If you can do that, as they say, "Couldn't hurt".

5.0 out of 5 stars The easiest way to get everything you've ever wanted, February 23, 2005
Favorite quote:

"Contrary to popular belief, you do not attain your goals when you desire them strongly enough. In fact, if you honestly examnine your past experiences, you'll discover that most of the goals you've achieved are the ones that you let go of wanting - even if not by choice."

When I first came across the Sedona Method audio series in the late 1990's, I'm afraid I turned up my nose - the claims were too grandiose, Hale Dwoskin's voice was too weak, and the whole thing felt like much ado about nothing. Having subsequently rediscovered the program though this book and Larry Crane's "The Abundance Course", I'm only sorry that I've lost out on six years of practicing the easiest way in the world to create success, happiness, and well-being.

The method is based on the work of New Jersey born guru Lester Levenson, and teaches the art of releasing - letting go of any and all uncomfortable feelings and unwanted energies that stand between you and inner peace. What makes the Sedona Method particularly powerful is that they can be used to create external results as well as inner ones - I use the "Goal Releasing" charts as taught in this book as my primary tool in going for and getting what I want.

The only downside to the book? You're probably going to want to go out and buy the audio program when you're finished reading, not because you didn't get enough, but because you got so much!

5.0 out of 5 stars Find Ultimate Success by Letting Go!, September 11, 2003
While you're probably aware that holding on to negative energy (such as long-standing grudges, phobias, paranoia, frustrations, blame and worry) is not a good thing to do, you might not be remembering to clean this kind of junk out of your energy field on a regular basis. THE SEDONA METHOD's basic premise is that when you master the art of releasing and letting go of all this negative energy, you'll feel more effective, healthier, happier, and energized.
Would you like to be more resilient when times get tough? Would you like to feel more loving, secure, optimistic, calm, and free? THE SEDONA METHOD will show you how to move out of being "stuck on a feeling" that no longer serves you well... and moving onward and upward to a life of total prosperity.
If this sounds simple, it's because it is! THE SEDONA METHOD presents real-life stories which give you a sense of how you might be sabotaging your success, as well as the tools for releasing yourself from guilt, shame, fear, and all manner of bad habits. Your mind and emotions can be reprogrammed for joy, health, and success -- and when you learn to understand how you currently incorporate basic emotional states and ways of thinking, you'll see how a few small changes can lead to BIG improvements in your life!

5.0 out of 5 stars deceptively simple technique is a key to true happiness, April 22, 2005
I am a business owner who previously suffered with a lot of stress. Headaches, crankiness, bad stomache, neck aches - the works. I know that it's estimated that 85% of all disease is rooted in the mind, and that stress can definitely kill you.

The Sedona Method taught me that I actually could choose the way I felt, that my emotions were not a part of me. In the simple process of letting go I found a very profound and joyful peace.

My headaches, stress, and other related problems are gone. My relationships have improved now that I am happier. My business is even picking up now that I can think more clearly and make better decisions.

I can and do recommend the Sedoma Method to everybody that will listen. I have given away 6 copies of the book as gifts. I honestly believe that if we gave everybody in the world this book we'd all be so happy that world peace would be achieved.

Give the book a read and do the exercises. Prove for yourself if this works.

$17.00 $11.48