5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on seeds I've seen!
Published on May 25, 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty basic in information
Very basic knowledge is provided in this book. You can gleem all that from free resources on the internet. Furthermore, the approach used in this book is not the only way of starting seeds, but is the most laborious one.
Published 22 months ago by Andrei Calciu

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on seeds I've seen!, May 25, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The New Seed-Starter's Handbook (Paperback)
If you want to learn how to start your own plants from seed, this is the book to own! The author covers all the variables of seed culture. I had tried to grow plants from seed before and failed. With this book I have had success after success. There is also a good section on saving your own seeds. If you're a do-it-yourselfer who is less than thrilled with the variety of plant choices available at the local nursery, this is the book for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great All-Around Gardening Book, May 6, 2005
This book is an introduction and reference for people who want to grow plants from seeds. The book is organized into 5 main sections: starting seeds indoors, preparing outdoor beds to receive transplants or seeds, detailed instructions for growing individual vegetables from seed, saving seeds, and record keeping and exchanging seeds. Bubel integrates the results of scientific studies and her own growing experience in her advice to novice gardeners. In striving for completeness, she even includes a chapter with folk wisdom about planting, noting which moon phases are thought to be best for planting and which are not. The book is amply illustrated with black-and-white photographs and drawings. End material includes a glossary, a bibliography, a list of suggested readings, lists of seed and equipment suppliers, and an index.

Although the book is written for people with very limited gardening experience, it is so full of information that even experienced gardeners are bound to learn something through reading it. Bubel's approach to gardening very much follows organic practices. The section on individual vegetables is a very valuable reference, with its details on when to plant, when to fertilize and how much to use of what, and when and where to transplant in the garden. Interspersed with the text are charts summarizing information such as germination rates for different vegetable seeds at different soil temperatures, or viability of vegetable seeds over varying storage times. The sections on preparing the soil for planting or transplanting and on saving seeds at the end of the season round out the book quite well, making this an excellent general gardening book, and not just a book about starting seeds.

5.0 out of 5 stars The New Seed-Starter's Handbook, July 17, 2000
This review is from: The New Seed-Starter's Handbook (Paperback)
What a wonderful book! A wealth of information covering not only seed-starting, but all you need to know to be successful: some basic botany (how seeds germinate, the parts of a plant, and how they grow)proper seed-starting mediums, lighting, fertilizing,transplanting, moving your seedlings outdoors, pests...you name it! I do a great deal of seed-starting each year and wondered how much new information I could glean from this book..it didn't disappoint one bit. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Manual for all Plants. Buy It!, January 29, 2007
This review is from: The New Seed-Starter's Handbook (Paperback)
`The New Seed Starters Handbook' by Nancy Bubel is a serious and superior manual on virtually all aspects of starting all different types of plants from seed. As with books on cooking, there are hundreds of books on gardening which are designed to go directly to the budget book pile and give relatively small value for the space they take up on your bookshelf. There are several obvious symptoms that this book is not to be dismissed as a lightweight. The first is the fact that Rodale Press publishes it, which may be the only publishing imprimatur which has a serious commitment to its particular speciality of organic gardening. The second is that this is a second edition of an already successful book. Unfortunately, a third easy sign of a book's quality is missing, as there is no thumbnail sketch of the author's biography and credentials.

Fortunately, a quick browse of this book quickly reveals that Ms. Bubel has got serious game when it comes to instructing us on how to raise plants from seed. I'm especially fond of the opening to her introduction where she says her first attempts were not immediately successful, setting a realistic tone that even with the best instruction, growing plants from seed is not easy. That is not to say it can't be simple! I'm often enchanted by the difference in the cooking world between `easy' and `simple'. While making a great soup is not easy, if you break it down into its various steps, it is really rather simple, if you have the patience and the time to carry out each step with care and love (that is, close attention to what you are doing). Ms. Bubel cuts no corners in covering all the details, but lays everything out with an affection for her subject which invariably draws one in to wanting to run right out and build some cold frames.

The author addresses all types of seed started plants, including vegetables, herbs, `domestic' flowers, wildflowers, trees and shrubs. However, I suspect her first love is in growing vegetables, as that seems to come first and occupies the most space. But, in most cases, what works for your carrots will probably also work well for your marigolds, with only a few variations.

My fondest feelings for the book arise when I see Ms. Bubel going far beyond the average suburban garden plants of tomatoes, zucchini, and sweet peppers. Her dictionary of planting techniques even includes entries for the relatively exotic artichoke, peanut, and salsify. This brings me to the most appealing reason for growing your own vegetables. There are many species that are simply not available in even the biggest megamart. This includes even relatively easy to grow varieties of salad greens. And, even if you do find a good `summer mix', it is probably outrageously expensive. The second most appealing thing about growing your own, even if you limit yourself to a very few species, is the fact that homegrown vegetables can taste so incredibly better than store-bought stuff. I was pleasantly surprised when I cooked with some Italian parsley which had grown up from self-seeding from the previous year, and the difference in taste between it and the local fare was simply amazing.

The book is amply stocked with great appendices on sources. The only annoyance is that this is a pre-internet publication, but no Internet jocky worth their salt will have any problem locating the sites for, fore example, `Johnny's Seeds' or `Charlie's Greenhouse Supplies'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable for serious start from seed gardeners, January 27, 2006
This review is from: The New Seed-Starter's Handbook (Paperback)
Nancy has researched and presented in simple and easy to use format the critical information needed for successful early season indoor gardening. If you want to save a ton of money and have great bedding plants you grow yourself, this book will give you invaluable assistance. I like her "down to earth" approach and clear explanations of her methods. If you're a serious gardener, you will seriously love this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Vegetable Gardening in Northern Climates, February 8, 2003
"montarakeith" (Montara, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Seed-Starter's Handbook (Paperback)
This book should have a subtitle: Vegetable Gardening in Northern Climates. The author assumes that every reader has snowy winters and hot summers, and that every reader is a vegetable gardener. If I just described you, then without question, you should buy this book! I live in a cool coastal climate of California, where temperatures are generally between 50-65, regardless of season. I'm not trying to grow vegetables, simply trying to replace the weeds in my yard with no-watering-required wildflowers, herbs, etc. If this describes you, then I will say that the book is still good for basic seed-starting tips, fertilizing, etc., but that at least 70% of the book will not apply. FYI, here are a few of the things I've learned in the past several months: Birds eat seedlings/baby plants. Really. I've sat with coffee in hand watching them. Bird netting must be raised up at least six inches and stretched taught to keep them away, but then it is dangerous to wildlife. I took it out after I found a young possum caught in it, and had to cut him loose. He had badly wounded himself trying to get free. I've replaced it with basic clear plastic from the hardware store, the kind we californians all have around the house for flood control. So far, it is working great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Seed Info Book made, April 26, 2007
This review is from: The New Seed-Starter's Handbook (Paperback)
I have the previous edition to this book and have been using it for years and years. I had a greenhouse and have been starting and growing flowers for 14 years. In my Or town, I am known as the Flower Lady and I can thank this book. It is one of those hard to find DOWN TO EARTH EASY TO READ INFO books. It tells you if the seed is difficult to germinate, and sometimes those seeds you can buy in packets in the stores, you couldn't start no matter what unless you owned a nursery and had all the equipment. Like I like to grow and sell perennials as they bring in good money and many of the perennials are very easy to grow from seed, but some of them are very hard, almost impossible, so before I start with a flower seed, I always look in this book. It is a life saver for me. I thin it also has veggie's ??? I can't remember and I can't find my copy but I"m digging. I alreay know most of what is in it, but this is the book for you if you want to grow flowers from seed and be very successful, but always remember the most important ingredient in growing flowers is goods soil. NOthing much worthwhile except a few grow in average to poor soil. I heavily ammended mine before I began. Good luck and your kids would love to grow too :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Greenhouse is Full of Plants Started From Seed After Reading This Book!, January 17, 2010
This review is from: The New Seed-Starter's Handbook (Paperback)
I've got so many notes, highlighted paragraphs, and post-it notes in this book that it's obvious I got a lot out of it.

I had never grown anything from seed before, but my greenhouse is full of plants I grew from seed. It's Winter and it was fun to go out during Oklahoma's record-breaking Christmas Eve Blizzard and there I was in the middle of my vegetable garden. The plants didn't mind the blizzard outside and I'm now harvesting some of what I planted.

I learned what not to include in the potting soil when propagating seeds and signs of soil deficiencies, and what to do about it. I'm learning about soil acidity, but I need some time to get a handle on that one. I learned about the spacing of seeds and I used the suggested method of planting lettuce and carrots and the putting radishes inbetween. They are harvested first, leaving plenty of space for the lettuce and carrots. That is important when planting space is scarce. There are notes under pollination, where I learned the different ways specific plants can be pollinated, with or without insects. I am just now trying the method of jiggling tomatoes. I read about but don't yet understand humidity requirements.

I learned when to plant outside, by counting back. I need to work on that.

My greenhouse is full of beautiful, growing vegetables. I've harvested some, even though I would rather just leave them there. They are beautiful. January is half over. It won't be long until I can take my new skills outside and practice them.

I'm glad I had this book. It took some of the 'guess' out gardening from seeds. I really like this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!!!, May 23, 2010
E. J. Monheiser (MARION STATION, MD, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Seed-Starter's Handbook (Paperback)
After 10 years on a sailboat, my husband and I "swallowed the anchor" and bought a 2 acre farm.
I used to purchased plants from a nursery years ago in Colorado, but after reading this book, I decided to grow my own plants. After reading the book twice, I bought my seeds, fencing, etc. and then decided to make my own "seed-starting and growing system" using snap-together shelving, flourescent lights, disposable nesting pans,plastic shoe boxes and an electric blanket! It took me about a month to put it all together and set it up, but it works like a charm!! If you want to know more, e-mail me at sv_compromise@yahoo.com and I will give you more info on its setup and use. Her tips and tricks are great and I'm sure every gardener, new or accomplished, will enjoy it tremendously.

E.J. Monheiser

5.0 out of 5 stars Starting plants from seeds, March 23, 2009
Sarah B. Cannon (Spartanburg, S.C. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Seed-Starter's Handbook (Paperback)
This book is an excellent resource for starting plants from seeds, with easy-to-follow directions that are easily understood. The results of using this book have been outstanding.

The New Seed-Starter's Handbook
The New Seed-Starter's Handbook by Nancy Bubel (Paperback - February 15, 1988)
$18.95 $16.48