5.0 out of 5 stars The Seeker's Guide to Harry Potter is an absolute treasure!, July 13, 2008
This review is from: The Seeker's Guide to Harry Potter (Paperback)
If you liked any of the Harry Potter stories even a smidgen, you'll thoroughly enjoy The Seeker's Guide. Well and engagingly written, this book brings together Dr. Geo Trevarthen's vast knowledge of Celtic spirituality, ritual magic, myth, and the timeless themes from spiritual traditions across the globe and through the ages to show us why Rowling's Harry Potter touches us at such a deep level.

Whether you lovingly read every book or just caught the movies, The Seeker's Guide is a delight to read and chock full of fascinating information. It's like getting your own course at Hogwarts -one that reveals how grounded this story is in ancient wisdom and, if we practice, just how we all might live the magical and mythical life.

This is not just a rehash of Potter trivia or play list of characters and events. In this book a respected expert on Celtic shamanism and spirituality, in solid overview and with thorough endnotes, explains how the many details and larger themes in the Harry Potter series are supported by the wisdom teachings of the ages.

The depth of information in the book is nicely balanced by Trevarthen's humor and deep appreciation of Rowling's work. For the spiritual seeker this book is an absolute treasure chest of esoteric wisdom lovingly wrapped up in a delightful "unauthorized course". And if you just plain loved Harry and want to learn more about why that might be, then check out this book.

I highly recommend The Seeker's Guide to Harry Potter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seeker's Guide a Treasure!, August 1, 2008
Thomas "Tom Hoebbel" (Brooktondale, NY, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Seeker's Guide to Harry Potter (Paperback)
Geo Trevarthen's Seeker's Guide to Harry Potter is an absolute treasure. I read the "Guide" just after finishing Rowling's 7th book. Geo draws on her extensive knowledge of Celtic spirituality and myth to reveal the deep symbolism contained in the Harry Potter series. The author's thorough investigation and explanation of the elements and themes contained in the novels goes beyond other more superficial looks at the Potter books.

This insightful and humorous exploration of the Harry Potter Series is a must read for anyone interested in gaining a deeper understanding of the spiritual and mythical elements contained in the novels.

Upon finishing "The Seeker's Guide", I now plan to read the entire Potter series again with a renewed appreciation of Rowling's incorporation of history and myth within her works.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, wanders a little., April 3, 2011
This review is from: The Seeker's Guide to Harry Potter (Paperback)
The idea of the book is to explore Harry Potter's mystical and spiritual themes and symbols - and it does that to a great extent. However I felt that the author wandered a bit much and the book could have been better organized. Interestingly, despite the beautifully ornate cover, the book's interior is modeled on the adolescent style of Rowling's novels, which is a bit jarring. Still, a good addition to the shelf of a collector or fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars For people that like Harry Potter books., June 23, 2013
Very interesting, thought provoking book. This book explores the aspects of "the hero's tale" found in the Harry Potter books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, what a great book!, October 29, 2012
anonymous (Northern California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Seeker's Guide to Harry Potter (Paperback)
Wow, what a great book! I'm a latecomer to reading Harry Potter books (as an adult). I decided I need to find "open-minded spiritual nourishment from afar" {being the town I live in is 99%-close-minded-so-called-Christian (self-named)}, and being that I'm not going to move away (too stubborn), have become a Harry-Potter-ite. Just finished reading this book, which by the way, is well worth buying. I can't speak more highly of it. What do I like about it? Everything. A+.

5.0 out of 5 stars HP fan, July 1, 2012
This review is from: The Seeker's Guide to Harry Potter (Paperback)
This book gives one another way of looking at the Harry Potter books. It is amazing the insights that are given here in. It was really an eye opener with out being too preachy or religious. Good addition to any HP fans collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Background on the sybolism and meanings, August 3, 2011
This review is from: The Seeker's Guide to Harry Potter (Paperback)
This book showed great insight and if your a historian like me you would like this book. I was instantly hooked when he started to disect each and every little thing. It was facinating to me. If you are a person who just wants a feild guide, this is not the book for you ...But if your like me you want the meaning behind the objects and characters then this is the best fit for you that you could ever find.

I am definatley passing thsi to my friends who love hp as well ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, September 2, 2014
The book gives you a in-depth look into the world of Harry Potter

5.0 out of 5 stars BOOK LOOKS VERY INTERESTING, August 29, 2008
This review is from: The Seeker's Guide to Harry Potter (Paperback)
Although I haven't had a chance to actually read the book, I did skim through it and it looks very interesting. I enjoy all things Harry Potter and I love to learn more about the whole universe. This book looks like it will add to my knowledge.

The Seeker's Guide to Harry Potter
The Seeker's Guide to Harry Potter by Geo Athena Trevarthen (Paperback - February 19, 2008)
$24.95 $18.70