5.0 out of 5 stars love it!
After being an avid reader of the selby blog i was reluctant whether to purchase the book or not after having seem most of the photos. i must say, its beautifully presented with clear and colourful images and very inspiring. This is a well priced addition to my collection.
Published on April 11, 2010 by Julia Oscari

1.0 out of 5 stars Hipster prattle
Published on January 30, 2011 by aareed

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars love it!, April 11, 2010
Julia Oscari "jo24" (melbourne, australia) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars A friend of a friend's cool place, June 9, 2010
This review is from: The Selby is in Your Place (Hardcover)
Ever tag along with a friend who tells you that this guy he knows is having a party? Then when you get there you sit transfixed at all the cool "stuff" this friend of a friend has in his space, cuz it turns out this person is incredibly creative? Thats what this book feels like. Todd Selby is taking you along and dropping in a few of his friends and you stand transfixed.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a design book should look like!, June 4, 2010
This review is from: The Selby is in Your Place (Hardcover)
I recently flipped throught the book at a local BN and I was amazed. The book is just the right size, card stock and the picture and layout is near perfection. I got insipred w every page and I could not put it down. As soon as I got home I ordered it (much cheaper at amazon. than local retailer)! Congrats Selby. Fantasic job. I just hope you continue and I look for.ward to a second book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hipster prattle, January 30, 2011
aareed (San Luis Obispo, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Selby is in Your Place (Hardcover)
This is the kind of book you would find in Anthropologie on a coffee table stacked with pink shirts. I suppose it is the perfect Ironic Coffee Table Book; it's about fashion and decoration choices of people who mock traditional fashion and decorating. For example, the poetic description of the clever girl who put bookshelves above her kitchen sink, to maximize space in her tiny New York City apartment reads like she's being nominated for the Academy Award for Cleverness. Or the hero-worshiping description of the disheveled hipster man... who drives a Bentley. You're probably thinking to yourself, "Wow, I thought he was a homeless college drop-out, but he's actually a Yuppie Hipster! I wasn't expecting that."

This book is more like self-worship-for-hipsters than a guide to decorating. Apparently a blogger (Selby) has some fans and now wants to see himself worshiped. Oh wait, isn't that selling out?

The style of this book is a cross between a catalog of blog posts and a Susan Branch cookbook. Each "section" is simply a 2-to-3 page discussion about some hipster's apartment, sprinkled with hand-drawn illustrations in the margins. The graphic layout looks a lot like scrapbooking. The author's writing attempts to showcase how each person has been clever with their dwelling and decorating. It comes off as a menagerie of pretentious artists with swelled heads. All in all: This is the perfect book for a hipster with ADD. It's poorly organized and full of colorful pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Subjects and Amazing Photos! Must have for anyone Interested in Interior Design, July 12, 2010
This review is from: The Selby is in Your Place (Hardcover)
I had heard about the website ([...]) and the photographer and was waiting to see this book. What I saw was far better than I could imagine. The detail and attention to the little things make this a real page turner. I highly suggest adding this to your coffee table.

4.0 out of 5 stars Selby, June 16, 2010
This review is from: The Selby is in Your Place (Hardcover)
I love The Selby and have followed Todd Selby's work for a while now. This book has some of the things that I've seen of his before, which is why it is only getting a 4 star review... That being said I have found a lot of inspiration in this book and it's a fun book to flip though when you're looking to fill some time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Necessary coffee table and bookshelf book, July 27, 2013
This review is from: The Selby is in Your Place (Hardcover)
Love the book for inspiration and always great to see your favorite brands and the people behind them, and how creative minds live and work as well as co-exist with others. The idea behind the book is to showcase how some of he most private but yet public figures in the arts and leisure world lives, work, and play. Great photography and an intimate look at how family, friends, and peace is desired more now than ever.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's about the people, not the stuff., July 9, 2011
This review is from: The Selby is in Your Place (Hardcover)
5 Stars for Selby's photography. It truly IS a beautiful book. And, I enjoy flipping through my copy often.
0 Stars for the Introduction by "Leslie."

I'm disappointed in myself for not noticing this the first time I read the intro. Leslie claims (and Selby allows) in the book's first line of text that "If there's one thing that unites us in New York City, it's not love." Whoa! I'm not sure this is a place I'd like to hang out. She goes on to say, "In this city, we're always looking over each others' shoulders. There's always a hotter person we could be going out with. There's a cooler job just around the corner. Of course, someone else's apartment is always better than our own. The grass is always greener...We're a greedy bunch...A materialistic bunch too...Basically we all just want cool stuff. And we want it now."

Uhm, please speak for yourself. When I get past that self-centered introduction I find the book is full of beautiful photos of interesting people with whom I'd enjoy hanging out. Some of them even seem to care about others - even those who may be hotter, cooler, have better jobs, and lawns full of technicolor turf.

Suggestion: treat yourself to a copy of The Selby is in Your Place. Rip out page 7/8. Then glue page 6 to page 9.
Suddenly, you have an awesome book full of interesting people whose homes you get to peek inside.

It's now a taste of vanity without the bad attitude.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, December 9, 2010
This review is from: The Selby is in Your Place (Hardcover)
love love love this book, very quirky and in most cases the homes are not 'staged' so if you like a little different from the normal interior design then get this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration In Every Room, November 8, 2011
This review is from: The Selby is in Your Place (Hardcover)
Funky photos, clever text and kitsched out rooms are at the heart of this colorful, coffee table tome. Todd Selby's book is a super stylized version of "Hoarders" with better stuff and cooler people (see Ninagawa Mika's kodachromed digs on page 124 and Lorie Karnath's insider's tour of the Explorer's Club on page 92). I felt so much better about my own overflowing rooms after seeing how the experts do it - how they curate all those flea-market finds to reveal a signature style!

Now if I just had a couple of taxidermied deer heads to add to the mix I might be on the way to creating my own "Selby-fied" rooms.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Selby is in Your Place
The Selby is in Your Place by Todd Selby (Hardcover - April 1, 2010)
$35.00 $22.79