2,636 Reviews
 (1,685)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, fast read, some ridiculous features
I'm rating this book purely on my enjoyment of it and not on some scale deciding whether it was great literature or not. It's fluff and I loved it.

So IF your favorite part of the Hunger Games was the lead-up to the actual Games (the interviews and dresses and stuff), and IF you can forgive superficial world-building (possibly with the promise of something more...
Published 21 months ago by Sage Collins

1.0 out of 5 stars In all honesty, I read it based on the cover. It’s pretty.
The cover is pretty but it’s actually rather common in YA novels to have female protagonists wear prom dresses and strike a pose. Despite that, this cover drew me in anyway. Like I said, it’s really pretty. The entire time I was reading this book there were a million questions going through my head. My most prominent one was: Why would America give up being a...
Published 10 months ago by Christina A. Marley

‹ Previous | 123 24 25264 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick read that's light on world-building, August 19, 2013
Debbie (Harrison, AR United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Selection (Paperback)
I was looking for a light, quick read, so I picked up this book. I liked the idea of rebels adding danger (and a mystery...why are they attacking?) to the marriage contest. However, the rebel theme was barely developed. A lot of the world-building was pretty light on detail and not highly believable.

So we're left with a romance. Again, we have a teenage girl who has dated no other guy sneaking out to kiss and grope the cute guy even though this means breaking several laws. Marrying him would mean living a short, hard life in crushing poverty, but she's in love. He breaks the relationship off due to his pride (and a certain realization that she might stop loving him after living in poverty for a bit and if she met others guys), and she's sent off for the marriage contest.

If Aspen had remained in her past, I would have liked the story better. The prince could slowly heal her broken heart by showing her how a thoughtful, considerate person treats a lady, right? Except...well, I understand why he goes around dating and kissing the other girls, but it isn't quite the knight-in-shining-armor approach. So when super-sexy, law-breaking bad boy sneaks back into the story... Well, no, I still don't get why the heroine likes Aspen. However, I know a RL teenaged girl who acts a lot like this.

There were no sex scenes and the groping wasn't graphic. There was a minor amount of bad language. Overall, the story was interesting and kept my interest, but it never rose to the level of "memorable" for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, April 8, 2013
Roberto Mattos (Morganville, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Selection (Paperback)
This is a surprisingly entertaining book, very well written and with a captivating plot that will keep your attention till the last page. The story is based on a classical love triangle, with the young lady being the attention of a prince (Maxon) in one hand and a "nobody" (Aspen) in the other hand. Her initial love, Aspen, makes her promise to participate in the selection, a process by which prince Maxon will select her future wife and queen. Although the whole idea of the selection is what America despises the most, after knowing prince Maxon and seeing that he is an innocent victim of tradition, she starts having second thoughts. At the end of the book, the initial group of thirty five is trimmed down to six. All the characters are very well developed and you have the environment also well described. You fell like you are in the story, following every step of our heroine and her two loves. The only bad thing is that we need to wait to read the sequence of the story, called "The Elite", that will deal with the group of the last six ladies.
Although this book is classified as a novel for young adults, I am sure it will please even those not that young anymore. I would recommend this book to any reader that wants to be entertained for some hours (It took me around twelve hours to read the whole book) with a very well written book by Kiera Cass. My younger daughter bought the electronic version of this book from Amazon.com for her kindle and I just happened to start reading it (and I enjoyed it very much).

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an innocent and sweet love story,but with drama and the potential for death!, January 21, 2015
This review is from: The Selection (Kindle Edition)
I read this book so darn fast! I couldn't put it down. The author makes you feel like you know the characters and you grow to have a deep connection with them. This book is about 35 lucky girls who get the opportunity to compete to be the next princess of their country and hope to win the love with the attractive Prince Maxon. The book introduces us to America who is such a sweetheart. She is involved in a secret love affair with someone who is beneath her station in the caste system. When the Selection comes around and she is old enough to compete, of course she tells her family and her love, Aspen, that she wants no part in it. Little does she know that she really has no choice in the matter and that her family is counting on her and the money that they will receive from her being a contestant. When America's heart is crushed by Aspen I wanted to cry for her. When she leaves her family to meet the prince I hurt for her and her situation. This book elicits emotions from the reader on so many different levels. It's rare for a book to do that for me. I don't normally get emotional involved with the characters but the way that Cass has written this book you can't help but to fall in love with America, Maxon, and even the maids, especially when America starts to have real feeling for Maxon and isn't just doing it out of loyalty to her family. It is so great to see America open her heart to someone and to watch the love story unfold is truly romantic! I seriously cannot wait to read the next one! Great job Cass!

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not keep me interested., December 7, 2014
This review is from: The Selection (Kindle Edition)
I liked the premise of this story. However, it lacked substance and real detail. One of the things that bothered me about the story was the total lack of understanding by the prince, his father and mother (the King and Queen) of the terrorist. They seemed to be completely clueless on why they even had terrorist. Wouldn't a good leader question their own morality and integrity and ability to lead a country, if strife and anger were constantly cropping up in their lives in the form of terrorism? They seemed not to know what the terrorist want, the prince in particular - and he was being groomed to take over. Shouldn't he have a great understanding? They had far too many terrorists - if you ask me - to justify trying to marry off the prince. They should have been taking care of that problem first. They were "endangering" the selected women - they had no clue why the terrorist were attacking but they thought nothing of dressing up the Selection and parading them on Televised reports. Many people were more interested in which selected princess wanna be would make the cut than they were in the terrorist. The whole story line was just too shallow and lacking in intelligence for me to finish it. The first boyfriend was a shallow jerk - and if he truly loved her as he later claimed why would he endanger her by sneaking into her room? It just sounded like a story a 12 year old would make up without doing any research. Maybe a 12 year old would enjoy this book - but I did not. I could not even finish it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put this book down!!!, December 1, 2013
This review is from: The Selection (Hardcover)
An excellent & fast read. Fans of The Hunger Games, & The Bachelor will love this series. I couldn't put the book down, had to order the second book as soon as I was finished. Can't wait for The One to come out!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars " and "Omg its just like the hunger games and all these other amazing things", November 8, 2014
This review is from: The Selection (Kindle Edition)
Meh, You know those books where everyone is all "You need to read this!" and "Omg its just like the hunger games and all these other amazing things"...
This. Was. Not. Good.
Try watching The Bachelor a show I despise, then read this and tell me that I'm wrong. So I know I should've stuck with my gut on this one I mean everyone says its great and the last time I read one of those hyped up things I nearly gave up reading the Hyped books, but I have liked a few that got really hyped up The Hunger Games wasn't too bad till the movie came out and screwed everything up.
Though I'm sadden to say this was not one of them. I couldn't get passed the whole adding "factions" as the base and sole thing dystopian in this whole book. Then having them "compete" (really if flirting is competing like they did in Hunger Games then I mustve gotten the wrong copy... ) for the love/marriage of a prince. Who honestly was really really a nice guy. Another thing that irked me was some of the names in this book were just off the wall. The one and only good thing about what I did get out of all this was truly we women also want our first love but when they let you go we almost always treat the next best guy for us like road kill... But alas I have to know whether our main heroine will take off her Aspen colored glasses and see that the Prince is the cats meow...
Rating:1
Cover:4 That's another thing I'm a terrible sucker for a good cover!
recommending: nope.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really great read!, April 21, 2014
This review is from: The Selection (Paperback)
First of all, I would like to say that I only gave this book 4 stars because i reserve 5 for books that are my all time favorite, and this book was great but not quite there. I really can't say anything wrong with it though!

Overall, I was interested in the different caste system and how not only they interacted with each other but each caste was given a different job. Now I have seen this before, but this is the most strict. For example, instead of everyone poor doing serving jobs, Fives's are the artists and musicians Six's do menial labor. I liked the specific tasks being assigned, and not only being two classes of people but multiple, it presented an interesting dynamic throughout the book.

From the beginning of the story, it was obvious that America Singer (One downfall is her name) was going to end up in the selection and Maxon, the prince is going to like her. But I really found their relationship, and her feelings for Aspen to be interesting and not overplayed with all the other love stories out there.

Overall, this is a pretty interesting read that is going to by quickly and be pleasant. It would be a good book for teens because America sticks true to her character throughout the book and she also shows that girls don't always need to be the flashiest, or wear a ton of make up to be special. I think this book sends a good message while being interesting, and I already read the second and am anxiously awaiting the third!

4.0 out of 5 stars An engaging read, October 19, 2014
This review is from: The Selection (Kindle Edition)
I want to first say that it has been a long time, longer than I'd like to admit, since I've read a book for pleasure. Whether it be due to time or business matters I have neglected the literary world and thought that this book might be a nice way to jump back into the joyous of novels; and not was I right! Kiera Cass does a wonderful job in capturing her reader right off the back. From the moment I picked up this book I found myself lost in the pages, picturing the parties, the dresses, the food, and just how lovely the Prince was. Which if I might be so bold to say was my favorite character in the selection.

Which leads me into my next point about how Cass really seems to bring her characters to life in the Selection. Her voices are easily heard in the readers head as the plot plugs along, and not every character is the same. Quite opposite actually, each one had there own voice, style, and opinion which makes an interesting society at the end of the day.

I read this book with my friend in our mini book club and whenever we would meet their was plenty to talk about. If anything I would say that the only thing that I disliked about the book was that the ending came to quickly for me. I need more of a wrap up than what I was given, which of course is a personal thing.

Anyhow I do think this book is a nice way read and is engaging with its reader. Definitely something that you can pick up for some light reading fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly tolerable love triangle!, August 22, 2014
This review is from: The Selection (Kindle Edition)
Shocking...a love triangle that doesn't make me want to pull out my hair and scream! I usually despise love triangles because really, does anyone ever have that hard of a time choosing who they love? I just can't stand the back and forth, "I love him, no I love him more! I really love him, but he's too good for me, yada yada yada....." I've only read the first and may totally eat my words later, but this book balanced the love triangle tolerably. I think it's because up until the end, she was only focused on one guy at time.

I especially like America's character. I don't really care for her name, but it didn't bother me too much. I like how she is upfront and deals with her feelings instead of brooding over them for half of a book or more. For example, instead of spending half the book hiding from the prince that she was in love with someone before, she tells him quickly, like at the beginning of the book. That is so refreshing! I like that she's selfless, but real in the sense that sometimes she does what's best for her. She picks the moral high ground most of the time, yet stands up for herself and gets sassy with other girls who need it.

I think adults and teenagers alike will enjoy this book. It's clean in the sense that there's no sex and only a handful of minor swear words. There's not any controversial topics, just a fun romantic love story! I'll definitely be getting book two here in about five seconds.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't Believe I put reading this off!, April 22, 2013
This review is from: The Selection (Paperback)
I was scared going into this that I wouldn't like it. That is what held me up on reading this for so long.
I read a lot of bad reviews, so I was afraid this was going to be a book I hated. I was happily surprised to find that I absolutely adored this book!

The book is set in a dystopian future where we have been through four world wars and society is now broken into "Castes" or classes and that is what determines people's income and everything about how you will live your life. There is a royal family instead of a president now. Everything we know today is gone.

Our main character, America, is from one of the lower castes. Her family struggles, but she has only known that life and to her it is the norm. The she receives papers to enter "the selection" for the hand of the prince and her life changes forever.

I love the gowns and the prince and the whole idea behind the book. I mean I was sucked in instantly and I could not get enough!

The one thing I could not handle was the love triangle. They always drive me crazy anyways! I thought she was just wasting her time on one of the fellas. *cough* Aspen *cough, cough* I won't lie, I am team Maxon all the way. And I felt like Americas flaw is that she is too scare to own up to her feelings and it drove me insane. I wanted to shake her through the entire book!

If you haven't read this series. Hop on the train. It's so much fun folks!

‹ Previous | 123 24 25264 | Next ›

The Selection
The Selection by Kiera Cass (Hardcover - April 24, 2012)
$17.99 $13.31