Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Selection Stories: The Prince & The Guard (The Selection Novella)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 1, 2014
Several reviewers have already commented on both of the two stories in here. I will still discuss them briefly, but mainly I will focus on how this version differs from the e-books, since I have both e-books as well and was wondering if the extra features in this paperback were worth getting.

The Prince is from Maxon's perspective, and the original e-book version begins with Maxon's birthday, which is shortly before the start of the selection (I believe that from the way it's written, this would actually be sometime after the paperwork process started for the selected girls but clearly before they arrive at the palace), and goes until Maxon initially meets all of the selected girls for the first time (and America for the second). The extended version continues from this point, showing Maxon making the first eliminations and continuing until his first date with America. It was interesting to see a little bit more of a scene that occurred "off-camera" in the books and to see a little more of Maxon's perspective of America, and how their first date affected his feelings.

The Guard is from Aspen's perspective, and apparently is exactly the same as the e-book version of the story. It goes from the day after the Halloween party in The Elite, when Marlee and Carter are caned, until shortly after Aspen finds America in the woods following the rebel attack that occurred while the girls were outside preparing for the foreign visitors. Personally, I still prefer Maxon, but I do like Aspen a little more after reading The Guard. The highlights for me, besides the insight into Aspen's character, are seeing a bit of the relationship between Maxon and his father through Aspen's observations, and getting to know a little more about America's maids (including some additional bits of Aspen/Lucy interaction, although it's not like The Elite didn't have any hints of a possible Aspen/Lucy pairing).

The sneak peek of The One is 3 chapters long in this paperback- you only get 2 chapters with The Guard e-book (although if you don't get either of these, you can go to the author's website and see a video of her reading part of Chapter 1). Basically, in the first two chapters, America devises a scheme to get Maxon's attention that has entertaining results. In the third chapter, another political development occurs, showing the tension between Maxon and his father, and Maxon tells America his plan to try and gain his father's approval.

The other special features in this book include a Q and A with Kiera Cass; a list of the Selected; a list of the professions in each caste; family trees for America, Aspen, and Maxon; and playlists for The Selection and The Elite. The Q and A appears to be a mix of questions that are answered on her website and questions that do not appear there. The lists of the Selected and the castes can be found on her website, as well as the playlists, but the family trees are new information as well. They include the former family names for the ancestors of America and Aspen, the castes to which the ancestors were assigned and the castes of the descendants leading to the current generation, and brief narratives discussing each of the three families. This feature was really interesting to me, as it gives a bit more insight into the society that Gregory Illea started and how the people were affected by it, as well as into the character of King Clarkson (which you might be able to guess to some extent).

Just to recap, the extras that are in this book and not available elsewhere or in the e-books or the author's website include the extended chapters of The Prince, the third chapter sneak peek of The One, some of the questions in the Q and A with the author, and the family trees for America, Aspen, and Maxon. Personally, I really enjoyed the extra material and don't regret purchasing this paperback even though I had the e-books of both stories, but not everyone may feel that these make the book worth purchasing if they already have one or both of the e-books. Hopefully this information will be helpful if you do own one or both of the e-books and are trying to decide if you want to have the paperback.
on February 5, 2014
I waited to buy The Prince and The Guard until the paperback book was available. While the wait was long, I am glad I waited. I loved both of the novellas and enjoyed getting a glimpse into the lives of both Maxon and Aspen. I did not want either story to end. I wanted to know more. :)

My favorite part of the book was the sneak peak at The One!!! I don't know if I can wait until May for the rest of the book. :) I don't want to give away any spoilers to those who have not read the first three chapters yet, but it left me pumped for the book and eager to read more. :) Chapter 2 was incredibly funny too!! :)

I would suggest this as a must read for any fan of the Selection Trilogy. Quick read but incredibly enjoyable at the same time. I know I will be rereading this book a couple of times as I count down the days until The One is released. :)
on June 18, 2014
So this is a short little two book novella of The Prince and The Guard. This version of The Prince has a little extra special ending which was a great edition.

I am not one to read novella unless I really love the normal series. So that goes to show you I REALLY LOVE this series!! I really enjoyed these two short stories set within the series as a whole. Although I wish that it would have been a set of more than just two of them. I know that I have heard that Cass has another one coming out soon and I wish they would have waited to publish this book until she was done with this world all together. It would have made it even better!!

It also comes with the first chapter of The One which is the last book in this series. I haven't read it yet as I figured out that after starting it I didn't remember as much as I would have liked. So I will be rereading all three books here in the next week or so.

This one gives us great insight of both men in America's life. The Prince and The Guard were great and I kinda wish that they would release special edition copies of the books with these put back in where they lay. This is one series that I wish would have been in multi POVs between America, Max, and Ash. I think it would have made for an even better book.
on June 18, 2014
This includes two short stories, The Prince and The Guard.

The Prince
The summary claims this is about a girl in Maxon's life BEFORE the selection. This really isn't true. There IS another girl, but she's only really mentioned in passing. This is really a re-telling of the first days of the Selection from Maxon's perspective. It doesn't add much to the series plot-wise, but does add to Maxon's character. I really enjoyed it. 4 stars.

The Guard
I didn't like this as much, possibly because I don't really like Aspen's character. This is a re-telling of parts of "the Elite". I actually found it a bit dull and didn't think it really added much to the story or the characters. 3 stars.

If you liked the Selection series, this is worth a read. But if you were only so-so on the series, you probably don't need to pick it up.
on February 20, 2016
The Prince and The Guard by Kiera Cass are two novellas told by the point of views of the leading men in The Selection Trilogy. If I'd read this after reading book one, I probably would have had more respect for Aspen sooner than I did, but it still wouldn't have changed my overall liking or disliking of either of these guys. Maxon was always my favorite, so I enjoyed getting a glimpse into his mind. I didn't know how vulnerable and naive he was early on. I love that you see the vulnerability in him later in the series, but until now, I had no idea it was there all along. I loved getting insights into the mind of these two guys. It was a little bit of a behind the scenes glimpse.
on December 2, 2014
I loved getting to see into Aspen’s mind. Aspen isn’t my favorite character but I have to say that I was definitely excited to see his point of view. I could really tell that Aspen cared about America a lot but I could also see that he looked at the situation selfishly too. Seeing how the guards acted around each other and than how they acted around the royals and elite gave a really good perspective on what goes on in the palace where there aren’t cameras and pressure for the “game show.”

I think Cass did a great job with this novella. I think it is very nicely written and it follows “The Elite” quite nicely. I am now looking forward to “The One” more than ever. Yes, I have already pre-ordered my copy.
on June 14, 2016
My daughter, who just turned twenty, adores this series. She is not a big reader, but has read every book and novella twice. She literally does a count down for each new book to remind me to order it as a surprise for her..lol She recommends these for any young reader, appropriate with Christian influence.
on April 22, 2015
Short stories that tie up loose ends and answer questions from the Selection Series. A fun read and more of our favorite characters. Of course, it is never enough of Cass' great story telling. Just wish they were longer.
on February 11, 2014
This book was a great (small) edition to the Selection series. I only just got 'The Selection' and 'The Elite' a couple weeks ago and breezed through them. I was eager for more, so getting this set of novellas and added bonus content is great while waiting the oh-so-long timeframe until the series conclusion, 'The One,' comes out in May.

'The Prince' is a great story told from Maxon's point of view. I already love him, so was happy to have more insight into his world. It touches a little deeper in his life with info we got toward the end of 'The Elite.' It starts a couple weeks before the Selection is set to begin and then takes the reader through his point of view in meeting America.

'The Guard' was also good although I liked it less because I like Aspen less than Maxon. It goes through his point of view of events that took place in 'The Elite.' Also a good read and adds more depth to his character.

The extra sneak peek of 'The One' is what I read first because I'm that anxious for the conclusion. It starts right where the last one finished - America is continuing her insecure feelings when Maxon is focusing his attention on the other elite, the rebel attacks, her inability to let go of one of the two men in her life. For Twilight readers, it's very similar to the Bella-Edward-Jacob triangle. She tries a new tactic to appeal to Maxon and it was pretty entertaining. Can't wait to read the conclusion!

This book is a great purchase even if you've already read the two novellas separately. There are family trees with the author's notes, a list of the selected girls, plus the sneak peek, of course. If you like additional content like that, it's definitely worth the purchase. Gorgeous cover, too!
on October 17, 2014
This book is a great predecessor for THE ONE. It starts off telling you how Maxon is feeling about the whole Selection process and why America Singer was his favorite, gives you incite on King Clarkson etc.

It also give you Aspen point of view on things and the events that follow.