4.0 out of 5 stars A book fit for dreaming
This book is an excellent one for dreaming. The volume looks like a coffee table book; it's large and filled with color pictures. And while John Seymour was able to live a pretty self-sufficient life on a farm, I know it's unlikely I'll ever do so. Nevertheless, reading about all Seymour learned and how he suggests others follow in his footsteps is inspiring...
Published on January 19, 2010 by Kristina Seleshanko

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough info
This is a book about self-sufficiency.. unfortunately I dont think most people would make it if they were left alone with only this book. It teaches a lot of farm chores (planting, killing and preparing meat, etc.), This is more of a book on how to operate a hobby farm and "live off the land" than it is to be completely "Self Sufficient".
Great...
Published 8 months ago by b00kll0vr

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book and Learning Tool, January 1, 2014
This review is from: The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It (Hardcover)
I had read reviews previously about this book and even had briefly checked it out from my local library. After that I decided to go ahead and purchase the book. You can learn everything from when to plant your crops to basket weaving from this book. Great illustrations and very informative.

4.0 out of 5 stars How to live off the grid, August 3, 2013
This review is from: The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It (Hardcover)
I haven't read this entire book yet. I have tried to take it in bit by bit. This book has many ideas for self-sufficiency and ways to live off the grid with you and your family. A way to go back and live a healthy life away from all the stresses and poisons in our world today. How to raise animals and grow and raise your own food.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great info, January 14, 2012
This review is from: The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It (Hardcover)
Great book, very comprehensive. Really gives insight in self sustainability from an apartment dweller up to a large landowner. Only drawback is that the author's experience is from England and a small amount of the info won't transfer to a warmer climate but that should only affect people in the deep south and California.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough info, April 18, 2014
This review is from: The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It (Hardcover)
Great illustrations at any rate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, January 3, 2013
This review is from: The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It (Hardcover)
Well written and inspirational. This book covers the basics of practically everything one would need to know on the subject of self-sufficiency.
I rated four stars because I would like to have seen more detail. However, it is worth the purchase price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a bit lacking but amazing info, May 24, 2010
Brad Lewis (Jackson Hole, WY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It (Hardcover)
There is so much information in this book and it really is great, but at times the author rants a bit and there are parts that are very lacking like the keeping of turkeys. No more than a paragraph and that paragraph really lacks necessary information.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for learning to be self-sufficient, October 20, 2009
This review is from: The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It (Hardcover)
This is a very interesting book if you want to be self sufficient. I was mostly interested in the poultry section. I would highly recommend for anyone who wants to garden to raising livestock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Substantial, April 12, 2014
Julie Morse (Hillsboro, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It (Hardcover)
This book was more substantial, in size, and in content that I expected. I see it becoming an invaluable part of my library of books for generations to come!

5.0 out of 5 stars As a OVERVIEW or a BEGINNER'S book, this book is perfect, December 11, 2010
This review is from: The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It (Hardcover)
Living in the city my whole life, I never really knew how to be self-sufficient. So to learn, I picked this book up from the library. The pictures and step-by-step really impacted me, since that is my natural style of learning. What impacted me the most were the diagrams illustrating how one could allot smaller amounts of land (5 and 10 acre parcels) to permit self-sustainability. Also, listing different breeds of livestock and weighing the pros and cons (which are more for meat, and which are more for milk or wool, and which are good mediums) was a big plus for me.

I concede that, as an American, having this book targeted more for UK self-sustainability is not as beneficial as I would hope, but it did help me get my foot in the door on the subject. Another weak spot for the book was the lack of depth in the emergency medical aspect of self-sustainability. But as I said, this is good for beginners and as an overview, not for a detailed treatise on crop rotation or livestock raising.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this book., May 21, 2010
This review is from: The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It (Hardcover)
This book arrived quickly in excellent condition. Full of awesome information on all kinds of subjects that pertain to self sufficiency. I don't believe there's any one book to cover anything because things are constantly changing and evolving. That being said I think this book is full of very useful information that seems to have been gained through experience and not just copied from reference material. It not only has good information on organic gardening and farming (rural and urban) but also includes info on forging metal, home brewing, basket making, weaving and dying, making your own workshops and tools, etc. I saw this book at a friends house and after flipping through I knew I had to have it for myself and my family.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It
The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It by John Seymour (Hardcover - August 17, 2009)
$35.00 $20.30