5.0 out of 5 stars Best Resource Available
Published on April 13, 2005 by Read2XL

1.0 out of 5 stars worthless
The most opinionated non-scientific treatise against pleasure I have ever read. How's this for a subjective statement: "Marijuana makes you stupid and lazy." Gee, don't overwhelm us with big words and psych terms.

He considers twelve step programs a boon to mankind. What a marching moron. They may help some, but they do not get to the root of the problem...
Published on March 19, 2009 by Bodegahead

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Resource Available, April 13, 2005
Read2XL "Bebe" (Cincinnati, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Selfish Brain: Learning from Addiction (Paperback)
I have found this to be an excellent resource for every aspect of addiction. Dr. Robert Dupont is emminently qualified to author this text. He does an excellent job of personalizing his writing with examples from his practice. He offers a message of hope for addicts and their families. It is a tome, but a very readable one, and he even includes (in the introduction) a way to "speed read" it in 2.5 hours. I read it twice in a weekend and am about to order my third copy! (I just seem to find people to give them to).

5.0 out of 5 stars The science of addiction, July 30, 2006
Rob (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Selfish Brain: Learning from Addiction (Paperback)
Dr. Dupont is the former head of the National Institute of Drug Abuse (part of the National Institutes of Health). He presents the science of addiction and recovery in a way that anyone can understand. This book was recommended to me by a former private patient of Dr. Dupont's, who had nothing but good things to say about him. I thought the book was excellent, and it really explains what works and why.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for Drug Education, May 22, 2013
This review is from: The Selfish Brain: Learning from Addiction (Paperback)
I have read and reread this book. It has helped me understand the drug story that has been evolving in my family. I highly recommend this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book on addiction, February 3, 2010
This review is from: The Selfish Brain: Learning from Addiction (Paperback)
I love the way this book is written, it keeps the reader interested and hungry for more information. This book is written for a lay person to be able to understand the disease of addiction and how it affects the addict, the family and society as a whole. I am a drug and alcohol counselor, and this is probably the best book I have ever read on addiction. I would recommend it to anyone interested in the study of addiction as well as anyone who is personally struggling with addiction in thier family or friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, June 25, 2014
I could not put the book down.
The more we understand the brain, the easier the difficult decisions will be regarding our loved ones and ourselves

4.0 out of 5 stars I recommend this text book for anyone wishing to work in the field of drug and alcohol., December 5, 2013
A good Text on Addiction

Pretty good reading for a textbook. As a part of my curriculum I was required to read it. I am glad that it was interesting as well as informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addiction U.S.A., April 24, 2013
Every page was new information for me, having no prior base knowledge. The problem of addiction in the USA is larger than people can grasp. The battle lines have been drawn but we are in trench warfare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addiction, April 13, 2013
When alcoholism hits home, and you don't know where to turn, this is the best book to read. You can read all or parts of it, depending on your situation. Dr Dupont's writing is clear and understandable. An excellent book! I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Teriffic, February 2, 2011
This is the most comprehensive book I have read about (alcohol and other drugs) addiction. The author, Robert DuPont, has clearly had an enormous amount of experience in this area. He is able to go into depth on the topic and shares some very valuable insights. I would recommend this book to anyone in the counseling field, to addicts, and to family and friends of addicts. Previous to reading the book, I had questions about just how much genetics plays a part relative to the individual's upbringing and personality. Dr. DuPont is able to discuss these and other factors that lead to addiction in a clear, understandable manner.

DuPont is clearly a fan of 12 step programs. In fact, he believes continued participation in AA or NA is crucial for most addicts. After reading this book I became much more convinced as to why they are so helpful.

THere is nothing superficial about DuPont or the words he has written on this topic. One gets the feeling that he has dedicated his life to helping solve the alcohol and other drugs addiction crisis. He also includes an in depth discussion of decriminalization and legalization issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Actual Facts, October 4, 2008
This review is from: The Selfish Brain: Learning from Addiction (Paperback)
This Book provides me with the basic essentials to resurrect "THE DEAD ". Thanks for the recommendation .

The Selfish Brain: Learning from Addiction
The Selfish Brain: Learning from Addiction by Robert L. DuPont (Paperback - March 16, 2000)
$18.95 $13.56