5.0 out of 5 stars The best Koontz book among the old ones
Published on February 1, 2000 by Marco Aurelio

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheated
Dean Koontz has remarked that he'd rather be known as a suspense writer than as a horror writer. I think he manages that very well.

Published on July 6, 2006 by Steve Kowalski

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Koontz book among the old ones, February 1, 2000
Impossible to put down. That's how you could define that book if asked to define it in one sentece. But more than this, the book is beyond any other kind of entertainment. I tried reading this book 'cause I was trying to get used to reading books in English. And that was the best book by Dean Koontz I've ever read. You'll never be able to forget the mother and the child, that soon start to get into a sea of deadly problems. The plot comes up as one of the best ever written, and the author just doesn't allows you to do any other thing but read the book, because that's all you want to do when you start page one of THE SERVANTS OF TWILIGHT. Since then, I never read other book by Dean to like as much as I liked that. But that may change from reader to reader. Only one thing is certain: the plot will make you be on the edge of you seat the whole time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Captivating Read, March 6, 2001
I am a huge Dean Koontz fan, and I have thoroughly enjoyed most of the books I have read of his, but I thought this one stood out among them. In all of Koontz's books that I have read, I have found myself saying "Yeah right, this is ridiculous and could never happen". Even in my personal favorite Koontz novel, Lightning, i found many things unbelievable. But in The Servants of Twilight, Dean Koontz crafts a believable AND enjoyable storyline.
Christine Scavello has a young son, Joey, who is an exceptional little boy who is very well behaved, and never gets into trouble. That is until one day, after a routine trip to the supermarket, a crazed old woman begins following Joey, believing that he is the Antichrist. At first this sounds insane, but then you realize that religious cults can indeed be as crazy as this particular villain, Grace Spivey. Christine hires a PI, Charlie, to help her escape the looney woman, and as in all other Koontz novels, they fall in love. It's very interesting to see the story unfold from all angles. You see the book from the point of view of the villain and the victims, so it is much more interesting. The book has many twists and turns to bring you to the end, and believe me, it's worth it. I highly recommend this book to any Koontz fan!

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheated, July 6, 2006

The reason I like Koontz books is because they begin so mysteriously; odd events unexpectedly cropping up in the lives of ordinary people. The author engages the reader, immersing him/her in the world of the characters, unfolding the story with skill.

Koontz books are page-turners, certainly, and this one is no exception. But, for my money, a suspense book should end leaving me satisfied that the mystery I was plunged into from page one has now been explained.

Disappointingly, this was not the case with The Servants of Twilight. Oh, yes, it has a protagonist, an antagonist, and a climax, as novels do. (I won't spoil the story for you here as some other reviews have done, either.) I read most of it in two days; it was that interesting and gripping. In fact, all through The Servants of Twilight there is an absolutely terrific tension, one that I have rarely encountered in fiction, a tension driving you to keep reading to discover the truth. I was waiting for its resolution up until the final page--and it never came.

This novel falls squarely into that genre of story that leave "what really happened" entirely up to the reader. There is ample evidence throughout so that a number of opposing conclusions could be argued for and supported by the story. This was clearly intended by Koontz, but it left me with a hollow, cheated feeling. Is the glass half full, or half empty? You decide. The author didn't.

I have given the book only 2 stars in the rating because I don't like this kind of "choose your own interpretation" in a suspense book. Your mileage may vary. If you don't mind it, you'll probably rate it higher. But at least you've been forewarned. In every other way, it was a great book.

Thanks for reading my review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing, thought provoking. Not my favorite, but solid., January 30, 2002
Bonnie Ramthun (Erie, CO United States) - See all my reviews
Here's the question that is so disturbing in The Servants of Twilight. Can you serve evil without knowing it? Can you be good and strong and pure and yet find your goodness helping evil?
Koontz seems to say yes in this novel. To me, that left a bad taste that lasted for days. Yet great literature should be thought provoking, and he succeeds in doing just that. Who says deep philosophical questions cannot be raised by so-called commercial fiction?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read until the end..., March 14, 2004
Servants of the Twilight is an action packed story that deals with a fanatical religious cult called the Servants of the Twilight. They are led by a woman named Mother Grace, who claims that she has visions from God. Joey Scavello is the perfect six year old kid, and he is being raised alone by his mother Christine. Mother Grace's newest vision is that Joey is the Antichrist. Mother Grace convinces the Servants of the Twilight that he must be killed. To protect themselves, Joey and Christine hire the resourceful and highly successful private investigator Charlie Harrison. Charlie is determined to find out more about the cult and keep Joey and Christine safe. The only problem is that no matter where they go, the Servants are waiting...
I rarely read a book in one sitting. However, I had no problem with doing it for this book. The book captivates you from page one and never lets up. The suspense and horror this book brings is unreal. This book really brings a lot of paranoia and conspiracy into the story, because anyone could be part of the Servants, and they could literally be anywhere waiting to strike. The mystery of the story revolves around whether or not Joey is the Antichrist. Koontz keeps it successfully hidden and drives the reader crazy with constant twists, turns, and close calls!
Koontz brings his excellent character development once again. Every major character in the book has something to offer. Joey is a great. Depsite the fact he is only 6 years old, he is portrayed as acting much older. His grown-up attitude and outlook on life are very sweet and endearing. However, his behavior is so strange sometimes, that you begin to wonder if Mother Grace is right. Christine is outstanding. The love that she shows for Joey and the determination she has to keep Joey safe is amazing. Charlie is a great character. As a detective he is fast thinking and resourceful. Koontz also brings a nice romance element to the story between Christine and Charlie as well. My favorite character of the book is Mother Grace. At first she seems crazy, but as the book goes on, you start to wonder if she is telling the truth with her accurate and scary visions from God. However, I can only give this book a 4 star rating because of the very dissapointing ending. It leaves the story open for unanswered questions and the reader's interpretation.
Servants of the Twilight is filled with good intentions because of the characters, overall action, and the mystery of what Joey really is. However, the book lacks the follow through when it comes to the end. But overall, Servants of the Twilight is definately worth reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, not Great Koontz, September 28, 2006
Thriller Lover (Las Vegas, Nevada) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I'm a big fan of Dean Koontz, but I thought this novel was just average. This book begins with an interesting concept -- a religious cult believes that a young boy is the anti-christ and is determined to kill him. The novel starts strongly, but eventually turns into a rather long-winded chase story. This novel is rather verbose and drawn out, almost as if Koontz was being paid by the word.

This novel is rather unique for Dean Koontz because the villains in this book are not completely evil. The religious cultists in this book are actually somewhat sympathetic. This novel also has a somewhat ambiguous ending, which is rather odd for Koontz.

THE SERVANTS OF TWILIGHT was written in 1984 under the pseudonym Leigh Nichols. Koontz wrote better books before this novel (WHISPERS, PHANTOMS, FACE OF FEAR) and much better books afterward (WATCHERS, ODD THOMAS, INTENSITY). My advice is to read those novels instead if you're looking for a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MESMERIZING DEAN KOONTZ BOOK!!!, August 27, 1998
The only novels that I have read by Mr. Dean Koontz are Shattered, The Eyes of Darkness, and Phantoms, and I just finished Servants of Twilight, which is easily his best book to date.
I wanted to read the book because the movie based on it was available to rent just 5 minutes away, so I decided to give the book a try. Wow, is it great!
What surprised me most was that Charlie, Christine, and Joey aren't just one-dimensional characters on the run from religious fanatics, but they're much more important, and I felt myself rooting for them ever so much toward the end. Even the relationship between Charlie and Christine seems somewhat real.
The villian Grace Spivey is written with such detail that I had nightmares about what she possibly looked like, just like Charlie!
The overall best thing about this book? It could REALLY happen. That's what makes it so frightening.
The Servants of Twilight is a masterpiece of horror and suspense, and I can't wait to watch the movie based on the book later today.
-Brian

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, December 19, 2009
I don't get the reviews of this book. This is by FAR the best work Koontz did, it is the only book I've read of his that when you get to the end you don't feel like he was under the gun to wrap up a happy ending in 3 pagers or less.

This book is right up there with King's "Salems Lot" and "The Shining" as edge of your seat thrillers and the ending of Servants will just blow you away.

Ignore the bad reviews of this book. This is the only Koontz book I've ever re-read and the only one I would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easily the creepiest Koontz book I've read., November 24, 2008
I've read most of Koontz's stuff, and it always escapes me as to why he's marked as a horror novelist. Most of his books are thrillers, and not in the least bit scary. Not the case with this one, though.

To make a long story short, Servants of Twilight tells the story of a mother being menaced by religious fanatics who have pegged her son as the Antichrist. At first, the threats seem empty, nothing more than senile shouting and babble. But then faces start appearing in windows, and things start to get violent.

What I found most eerie about this story was simply how plausible the premise is. There are some freaks out there, and to an extent it's not hard to see something like this happening. The antagonists in the book were simply human monsters, and nothing more. Not a ghost, alien, or rampant governmental conspiracy in sight. Just plain old human beings warped by their dedication to their religion. Nice to see a change in Koontz's primary antagonists.

Other than that, Servants is in Koontz's usual style. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a bit more characterization would have been nice, and some of the dialogue was a bit cliched. The ending, too, could have used some work. But all in all, this was a pretty good early effort by Koontz, and pretty thought-provoking as well. Definately something I'll be reading again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed Koontz Fan, October 7, 2003
By A Customer
I have read many of Koontz's books, and I just don't see what the fascination is with this title. One of the things I have always liked about Dean Koontz is his ability to write a supernatural tale that is somewhat possible. There is always that feeling, however much of a reach it may be, that this could feasibly happen.
Here you have a tale about the Anti-Christ that starts off intriguing, and just degenerates into one long chase sequence. I think the last 150 pages or so is Koontz's over-winded description of the cultists trying to chase Joey and his Mom through the woods. Koontz never really explored the idea of is this kid really the Anti-Christ? We are supposed to think that because Grace Spivey is so intense in her beliefs that this kid may just be the devil's son? It would have been nice if Koontz had teased us with some unbelieveable or unexplainable manifestations of power from the boy, however slight, to keep us guessing.
It's like Koontz had a good idea when he started, but had no idea how to finish it. I was quite bored at the end, and was skimming the last 100 or so pages just to find out what happened in the end, which was pretty much nothing.
If you want a good Koontz book, read Intensity, Whispers or Dark Rivers of the Heart.

The Servants of Twilight
The Servants of Twilight by Dean Koontz (MP3 CD - April 1, 2014)
$14.99 $12.80