Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 24, 2000
As I read the customer reviews about "The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success", I find it fascinating that the reviews are almost without exception one of two types; "Five stars--very positive--this book changed my life" or "One star--this new-age drivel makes me sick, please do not give your money to this man who is only using feel-good rhetoric to liberate the gullible from their money" There are not many reactions that are in the middle.
I think extreme opposing reactions are typical to great works. And I do think that this is a great work.
The reason that I think it is so good is because the author is inspired to write what he does. This is a man who , from what I can tell, has been a seeker all his life. Ever the seeker, his path has led him to become an inspired teacher. To paraphrase Einstein--"Great minds have always had violent opposition by mediocre minds" But, I digress.
The important point that I want to express here is that it DOES NOT MATTER if what Mr. Chopra says is true or not. What is important is that it inspires real, positive change in peoples lives. The inspiration and the change are what are real. The details are irrelevant.
I have read this book many times because the words awaken something in my soul that has always been there.
If you believe what Mr. Chopra says then that is all that matters. If you think it is bunk, then that is all that matters as well. The power of ones belief is EVERYTHING. It can change lives, conquer countries, kill millions, or deliver someone from the depths of hell to the gates of heaven. It can also do absolutely nothing--depending on the believer and what is believed.
If you belive that Deepak Chopra is just another smart con-man who is playing to peoples emotions to get to thier money, then the power of your belief is what will win. It doesn't matter how many times you read the book. Nothing is more powerful than what you believe.
If on the other hand, you are a person who believes they can be inspired, and have no obstructing beliefs to begin with (also called an open mind) then the chances are good that this book will touch you in a deep way.
As with anything in life, it is entirely up to what you believe.
2424 comments|641 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 10, 2000
The author helps us identify our "fear based" ways of thinking and substitue more effective ways to think. These concepts work. I would also recommend the book An Encounter With A Prophet to get rid of even deeper "fear based" beliefs.
11 comment|513 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2000
The subheading of this book "the Fulfillment of your Dreams" is quite a fascinating concept. This best-selling author, guides the reader down a path of 'success', outlining principles and disciplines bound to help anyone reach a higher spiritual plane. This book shows you how to discover and unleash your 'true' self by breaking away from fear~ based thinking ( seeking approval of our actions/ needing to control /and a need for power are all fear~based methods of thinking). In fact, readers are urged to break away from the 'Pavlov effect' by resisting conditional reflexive responses triggered by circumstances out of one's control. Mr. Chopra goes on to explain that most people spend the majority of their energy connvincing or persuading others of their point of view. He asks the reader to understand that what they are feeling is not someone else's fault, instead one should take responsibility for one's own thoughts and actions.
There was a phrase that caught my attention. It read, "The operational software of your soul is karma, memory & desire". The chapter goes on to explain that everything is energy and information. Your attention to something energizes it, your intention transforms it. Therein lies the key, intent is desire without attachment to a particular outcome. A great quote from the book reads "The past is history, the future is a mystery, and this moment is a gift... that is why this moment is called the 'present'." So we must learn to accept the present and intend the future, for the future is created now in the present.
One of the simplest insights to apply in everyday life, is to remember that the easiest way to achieve a goal or get what you want out of life ( whether it is personal or business oriented ) is to help others get what they want. Success is much easier to accomplish when there are myriads of people who want you to succeed, as opposed to when it's just you.
In each of the Seven Spiritual Laws, Mr. Chopra presents a way for people to align their lives with the most compatible way of achieving success in one's life. This title weighs in at a mere 110 pages, but it sure packs a wallop of punch. A knockout punch to be sure. This book is highly recommended for anyone who wants to achieve a higher level of spirituality and an understanding of how their world operates. In fact, even a basic human cell follows the spiritual laws. This is one of the best investments of time and money you'll ever make, and a treasure you'll come back to again and again.
11 comment|240 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 1999
If you're looking for a book that will serve as a practical guide about how to become financially successful, this book is NOT for you. This book's focus is more a philosophical guide on how to accept fate and let go of events in our lives that we don't necessarily have control over. For example, Chopra suggests that after we've done our best to prepare for success, let go of the final outcome. If our plans don't work the way we anticipated, so be it. He teaches the reader how to accept fate and let fate serve as a guide to us as far as the direction we need to be taking in our lives. Chopra is NOT saying good things in life will come to you if you only sit on the couch, but provides readers with new ways of thinking about disappointments, successes, achievements, and failures. He suggests that by trying to force too much of our will on the events or people in our lives, we can actually push out of our reach the very things we desire. I found this book to be very calming and reassuring. He reminds us that we, as humans, are not ultimately in control of our lives, and that there is a higher power that influences our destiny, whether it be the energy of the universe or God. I think each reader can tailor Chopra's philosophies to their own needs, no matter what their religion. It just simply takes an open mind to do so. If you worry a lot about your future, I think you'll find this book a reassuring stress-reliever. Hope this helps!
on September 1, 2001
I have read almost all of Deepak Chopra's books. From some I gained much, from some I gained little, but from this one I gained the most. It's filled with 7 common-sense principles for attaining your goals and being happy. All the principles presented are profound yet simple - some more practical than others. All are concepts most of us already believe in but don't know exactly how to express. This book clears it up. If you're going to buy just one Deepak Chopra book, let this be the one. I also highly recommend "Open Your Mind, Open Your Life" by Taro Gold which is a collection of hundreds of thoughts from Eastern wisdom. "Open Your Mind, Open Your Life" and "The Seven Spiritual Laws" are my two favorite books of wisdom of all time. Excellent!
on April 22, 2011
The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success

Object -referral we are constantly seeking the approval of others. Our thinking and our behavior are always in anticipation of a response. It is therefore fear-based. In object-referral we also feel an intense need to control things.

When we experience the power of the self, there is an absence of fear; there is no compulsion to control, and no struggle for approval or external power.

Through silence, through meditation, and through non-judgment, you will access the first law, the Law of Pure Potentiality. Once you start doing that, you can add a fourth component to this practice, and that is regularly spending time in direct communion with nature. You can start with; I won't judge anything, for the next hour, I will experience non-judgment. Then you can extend it gradually.

The true essence is beyond the ego. It is fearless: it is free: it is immune to criticism; it does not fear any challenge. It is beneath no one, superior to no one.

When you are grounded in the knowledge of your true Self; when you really understand your true nature; you will never feel guilty, fearful or insecure about money, or affluence, or fulfilling your desires, because you will realize that the essence of all material wealth is life energy, it is pure potentiality.

The more you give, the more you will receive. If, through the act of giving, you feel you have lost something, then the gift is not truly given and will not cause increase. If you give grudgingly, there is no energy behind that giving.

It is the intention behind your giving and receiving that is the most important thing. The intention should always be to create happiness for the giver and receiver, because happiness is life-sustaining and therefore generates increase. The return is directly proportional to the giving when it is unconditional and from the heart.

Practicing the Law of Giving is actually very simple: if you want joy, give joy to others; if you want love, learn to give love; if you want attention. Learn to give attention etc....

The heart is intuitive; it's holistic, it's contextual, it's relational. It doesn't have a win-lose orientation. It taps into the cosmic computer; the field of pure potentiality, pure knowledge, and infinite organizing power; and takes everything into account. At times it may not even seem rational, but the heart has a computing ability that is far more accurate and far more precise than anything within the limits of rational thought.

You must first become consciously aware that your future is generated by the choices you are making in every moment of your life.

When you feel frustrated or upset by a person or a situation, remember that you are not reacting to the person or the situation, but to your feelings about the person or the situation. These are your feelings, and your feelings are not someone else's fault.

All problems contain the seeds of opportunity and this awareness allows you to take the moment and transform it to a better situation or thing.

Any time you encounter resistance, recognize that if you force the situation, the resistance will once increase. You don't want to stand rigid like a tall oak that cracks and collapses in the storm. Instead you want to be flexible, like a reed that bends with the storm and survives.

Attention energizes, and intention transforms. Whatever you put your attention on will grow stronger in your life. Whatever you take your attention away from will wither, disintegrate, and disappear. Intention, on the other hand, triggers transformation of energy and information. Intention organizes its own fulfillment.

Intention is the real power behind desire. Intent alone is very powerful, because intent is desire without attachment to the outcome. Desire alone is weak, because desire in most people is attention with attachment.

The past, present, and future are all properties of consciousness. The past is recollection, memory; the future is anticipation; the present is awareness. Therefore time is the movement of thought. Both past and future are born in the imagination; only the present, which is awareness, is real eternal.

If you have life-centered, present-moment awareness, then the imaginary obstacles; which are more then ninety percent of perceived obstacles; disintegrate and disappear. The remaining five to ten percent of perceived obstacles can be transmuted into opportunities through one-pointed intention.

One-pointed intention means holding your attention to the intended outcome with such unbending purpose that you absolutely refuse to allow obstacles to consume and dissipate the focused quality of your attention.

Learn to harness the power of intention, and you can create anything you desire.

Everyone has a purpose in life... a unique gift or special talent to give to others. And when we blend this unique talent with service to others, we experience the ecstasy and exultation of our own spirit, which is the ultimate goal of all goals.

While meditation is the most useful way of entering the domain of spirit, simply shifting your internal dialogue to "How can I help?" will also access the spirit, that domain of your awareness where you experience your universality.

Ask yourself, if money was no concern and you had all the time and money in the world, what would you do? If you would still do what you currently do, then you are in dharma, because you have passion for what you do; you are expressing your unique talents.

I try to list the information, I like the most out of the book.

Thanks Ralph
66 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 22, 2004
Do not underestimate the size of this book.It tells volumes.The Seven Laws as propounded by Dr.Deepak are very profound spiritual truth.Deepak emphaises the need of regular meditation in order to be aware of the significance of the "here and now".It is also important to set goals.Under the Law of Intention and Desire(the 5th law),we must make known our intention but we should not be attached to it,this is the secret of success in life according to Deepak.The Second law,the law of giving.According to Deepak we must give in order to get.If we want love then we must give love.
This small book should be meditated upon and keep it always with you lest you forget the simple yet profound truth contained in it.
The fact that this little book has received 135 reviews and counting is because so many want others to share in this. Profound yet simple. Life changing. Contrary thinking to our unsuccessful ways. When Deepak Chopra tells us to quit wasting energy trying to convince others of our opinions, I will need some time to implement that into my life. I know it will come, because now when I am done trying to convince others of my point of view, to no avail, I think back to his advice, and realize I need to acquire it as a natural trait. Realizing each time how much time and energy I just wasted. This just scratches the surface.
The other profound lesson that is changing my life is that the question we should be asking ourselves, is "How can I help, How can I serve" instead of "What's in it for me" Combining that with giving freely, in line with the laws of nature, is giving me a new foundation for forming a company I am working on. It completely shifted my focus to helping, instead of demanding. I know that by serving freely the interests of my patrons, I will receive like kind in return. Not because I require it, but rather because that is the way it flows; even to the point of concentrating my efforts now on helping the maximum amount of people, rather than making them customers.
All of this is predicated on the necessity to meditate to get in touch with your inner... as he calls it, the embryo of your God self. Which is a part of the infinite potentiality, the essential energy of all things. In so doing, making the unmanifest, into the manifest. Some say that all of mankind's problems can be reduced to his inability to sit still, quietly, for 15 minutes.
Deepak Chopra and Dr Wayne Dyer co-authored a book. I thank Dr Wayne Dyer for showing me how to meditate by simply lying down or sitting, and gently letting all thoughts leave my mind. Each thought is tied to an emotion. When all thoughts finally leave, a profound change occurs. I arise feeling completely renewed. Deepak Chopra is now introducing me to new ways to utilize this new domain, to bring my desire and intention into fulfillment. (As long as my desire is in keeping with helping and serving)
Please read this book. It will profoundly change your life, especially if you read it again, and again. Not just reading, but also examining your own life, in relation to the new, profound, simple truths that you wish you knew all along, and all of the time. I am already beginning to experience some of the bliss and joy that he has taught me how to acquire. I see others and wish I could share it with everyone. I know it would sound fairy tale like to some, but I know the incredible knowledge this book contains to be the truth.
I wanted to say that although this book is based on his other work, "Creating Affluence" I like "The Seven Spiritual Laws" better. It is a more practical, put it to use approach. Creating affluence is less profound, and earth moving. A great book, but be sure and get the Seven Spiritual Laws.
I hope this review helps to make others buy this book. I can't say enough about it. Highly, highly recommend. Get it, and change your life.
A few years ago I read PERFECT HEALTH, also by Deepok Chopra. It is a superb book that helped me regain more control over my life. Many people I know changed their diets, started meditating, and feel 2,000 percent better. THE SEVEN SPIRITUAL LAWS continues these good teachings. Once you realize that the mind does control physical and emotional happiness, and that you can learn to channel thinking and behavior for good, peace and health, the sun shines daily. Otherwise, we are constantly faced with many self-imposed, and some imposed-upon-us "stalls" that hold us back. These "stalls" are wonderfully described in "THE 2,000 PERCENT SOLUTION" by Mitchell, Coles and Metz. For example, we suffer from The Procrastination Stall (simply hoping that things will get better); The Disbelief Stall (It won't work, we do not believe in ourselves); The Tradition Stall (We've always done it this way so why change); The Bureaucratic Stall (too many excuses of other things to do); The Misconception Stall (this can't be healthy for me) and The Unattractiveness Stall (let's not work on it, it's new and may be dark and scary). Read both books to learn how to direct your mind to personal happiness and develop the skill and desire to grow as a person, and in whatever business you pursue, at 20 times the normal rate. With success comes inner and emotional happiness. With inner happiness comes greater success.
on January 25, 2000
I had this book for a year before I actually read it. I was at first turned off by Deepaks New Agey speak, but then I started really enjoying it. I especially liked the chapter on decision making. I am guilty of making a lot of decisions based on my ego (going after the job I think I SHOULD have, but don't necessarily want) and this book has helped me to pay more attentions to the decisions I'm making. We make our own decisions, we sometimes put ourselves in situations that we can tell are going to be bad from a mile away, and then we have noone to blame but ourselves. So it pays off to act more deliberately and THINK about what we're doing. That's what I got out of the book, and it was worth it. It's also kind of a nice little book to read, savor, slow down, at the end of the day with and see how far off or on track you are in life! I don't consider myself particularly spiritual but it's nice to have someone advocate taking the time to slow down and think about what you're doing.