Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Sex EDcylopedia: A Comprehensive Guide to Healthy Sexuality, For the Modern, Male Teen
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on January 14, 2012
The Best Boy's SexEd Book out there for early teens and a great college send off as well.
I purchased this book as a mom who needed to be more comfortable talking about sex with my son. The upside is that it is a very easy read with well researched facts and documented statistics. This books also does what I have not seen before, it talks with great knowledge and kindness about what misinformation this age range of boys is likely to encounter (regarding penis size, pregnancy, sexually transmitted infections (used to be std's and now it's changed-thank goodness I read this book), oral sex etc...) and counters that in a conversational, sometimes humorous method with the facts. This mom is reassured in knowing not only what is being said but also what I can say that could counter the nonsense he might hear in the locker room or schoolyard. This book shines in may ways by being a book that is an engaging enough read that I could and will hand this to my child and tell him he needs to read it at an early age and then again before he goes to college. Maybe I will make a quiz for him...
I wanted to make a special note of the emotional and social education that is showcased in this book. From talking about homophobia, self-esteem, harassment, abuse, rape, virginity and having a great section on online safety this book truly addresses (in a great way) modern, issues young men face on a daily basis with their sexual health and safety. The special Parents Section was also very eye opening and helpful.
Buy this book for you, buy this book to give to your boy and buy this book for a Sex Education teacher. It is a must read.
on August 25, 2015
This book is very easy to comprehend and was somewhat interesting. Chapter 5 regarding dating was especially helpful and I imagine it to be helpful to others who are in their teenage years. This book also answered many questions that we are many times too embarrassed to ask, which can be helpful to all of us. The book educated necessary points such as the dangers of a sexually transmitted disease while at the same time not scaring me. This book wasn’t only about sexual health, but also about growing up in general. These days, with the world being opened up to anyone via technology and the internet, it is important for everyone to know how to navigate these crucial years in a safe manner. Another highlight within the book was chapter 23, social networking. That chapter labeled all the dangers of being on social network sites and how to make sure you and people you are connecting with are safe. All in all, this book helped warn me about the dangers of the teenage years while at the same time not scaring me.
on September 22, 2015
This might be the book you dream of dropping on your son's bed and then turning and running (and if you want to do that, go for it) but it's also a great book to 1) Read yourself as a parent of a tween or teen boy (or girl) and 2) Talk with you kid about. The author does not mince words, and he covers the issues that teens really actually care about, in the terms familiar and relevant to them. From masturbation to relationships to (ewww) jock itch, everything (everything, I tell you!) is in this book. Your kid might act embarrassed to receive it, but he'll be flipping through the pages for years to come, and this is all information you WANT him to have -- information that will help keep him healthy and safe and growing into a respectful, well-adjusted adult. I would definitely recommend this book to any parent of tweens, and for all tween and teen boys. It's honest, compassionate and informative in just the right doses.
on January 3, 2016
Very powerful, comprehensive book. Almost "too much information" sometimes. I recommend parents read it before giving it to their boys. Here's a paragraph that I think really sums up what the author is trying to do:
"Thoughts of our adolescent children as sexual beings may make us uncomfortable but visions of them tumbling down flights of stairs as toddlers spurred us to to have safety conversations back then. Then thought of them putting themselves through car windshields motivates us to teach them how to navigate intersections and freeways when behind the wheel. If discussion about how to navigate their genitals is different, it is quite likely because of our own discomfort with the subject matter, and that's a poor reason to avoid the topic."

I give the book 5 stars for effort and info; minus one star because some of it feels like it's just notes that really needed more editing/explaining, and because of the awkward layout (almost no margins!)
on September 22, 2015
I gave my 13-year-old son a summer "assignment" to read this book and write a review. After he rolled his eyes at me, he reluctantly opened it and started reading the introduction. Within a minute, he was laughing and then decided he'd give it a try and read it. Here's his review: 4/5 stars. I would recommend this to others. Mr. Langford blends humor with good info. The book is written in a way that teens can understand. There is actually more in this book than just puberty and std information. The only reason that this isn't 5 stars is that there is some scary things I'd rather not have known about that are tossed around in this book.
on February 15, 2014
I can't recommend this book highly enough. I also highly recommend hearing Jo Langford speak (either in a live class or via webinar). He is so informed and is so great on getting all the information "out there" in ways that appeal to boys.

Parts of this book are better for an older teen, but it covers everything a boy will experience, and Jo's got a great style. My son's only ten, so at this point, I am the one reading this book, but it's in his future, and I know he'll appreciate it.
on September 2, 2015
An easy, often humorous read and helps you and your son to understand what boys are going through during puberty and all those other times...when life seems confusing. So much more than a sex ed book, complete with all things related to technology and life in general. Thanks for sparing me "the talk" and allowing to read and discuss with my sons.
on September 18, 2015
WOW! This book will give you some "holy crap" moments but is a must-read for any parent of a teen or a tween. And if you can leave it out for your teen, not just boys, to find and read, it's a great combination of humor and straight talk and a great reminder to teenagers to be their own person and make their own decisions.
on August 2, 2015
Spare Me The Talk: I found this book to be easy to read, thorough, covers everything. I liked the tips for dating and the humor involved, that it covered sexual orientation, healthy relation ships, responsibility... I think there are some adults out there that could also benefit from the book and entering relationships maturely! The only down side--not sure it's always true everyone always grows into their adult bodies--if you have a genetic/chromosomal disorder that may not be true.... also in the female section, there was a section about the G spot, which scientifically has not been shown to be true, so not sure mythical things should be included in the book. But yes, would recommend it and well worth the read.
on August 22, 2015
Spare Me "The Talk" is a wonderful, straight-forward discussion for young and older teenager boys. Langford uses humor well, incorporates "slang/street" word usage as well as the more "proper/biological/polite" words. I think this is a book that a wide range of ages (13+) can learn something from (or be reminded about).