Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

on January 23, 2003
In response to the phenomenal resurgence of the drum nationwide, Michael has completely revised and expanded the 1991 edition for all those folks discovering the power of drumming. This useful book reveals profound teachings about shamanic drumming, which is a time-honored method of healing and helping others. Trained as a ceremonial drummer in the Mongolian and Native American shamanic traditions, Michael presents the first practical guide to applying this ancient healing art to our modern lives. Through a series of simple exercises, lessons, and rituals, he teaches you the basic shamanic methods of drumming. The focus is on creating sacred space, invoking the powers of creation, journeying, power practice, initiating change through intent, power animals, windhorse (personal power), geomancy, drum therapy, drum harmonics, drum circle dynamics, archetypal healing rhythms, and the universal rhythmic phenomena that come into play whenever we drum. Whether you are an accomplished percussionist or a total beginner, this user-friendly book will help you harness the power of drumming.
Reviews
"The Shamanic Drum expresses things as they are, and it's indeed true that the drum and the proper ceremonies are the way in which we balance and harmonize the energies of the Earth, its creatures, and our relationship with all realms."
-Dhyani Ywahoo, author of Voices of Our Ancestors
"A clear and practical work."
-Julia Cameron, author of The Artist's Way and The Vein of Gold
"Apprenticeship would be the ideal way to learn shamanic drumming, however most of us will never be fortunate enough to have this experience. This book is definitely the next best thing."
-Lisa DiPlacido, review editor for Friend's Review.
on September 2, 2011
I enjoyed this short book and found the instructions short, simple and practical and perfect for the novice wanting to experiment with drumming for journeying as there is nothing complicated here. Again, these are brief instructions so don't expect any deep explanations about how to drum or the lore and spirituality surrounding drumming. I purchased the Kindle e-book version since I wanted to read it right away and the price as reasonable. This is more in the neo-shamanism vein. The author incorporates cross cultural beliefs and practices into this book. Along with the drumming instruction the author recounts some of his own journeys. He writes briefly about conducting a drumming circle. There are a couple things I would disagree with. One is his relation of the chakras to colors of visions in the journey. If, for example, your vision contains more violet (crown chakra) he feels it is a higher vibration of spiritual level than if the vision contains more reds (base chakra). Colors can mean many things and also should be taken in one's own cultural context. Drake says himself that visions are colored by our individual experiences and culture so why would you limit the interpretation in such a way? Overall though I enjoyed this book and thought it was a nice drumming intro for novices. I notice there is a instructional CD The Shamanic Drum Instructional, but the directions in the book are enough to get anyone started as there is nothing particularly complicated about shamanic drumming.
on April 11, 2013
I wish I had bought this book first b/c he lays it out like no other. No new age bs just straight talk.In 25+ of studying metaphysics I have not heard journeying explained like Michel does. I also have the kindle
version as well. I just bought one of his other books. If your looking to learn about Shamanic drumming get this
book first. You won't need any others. He has a awesome blog and youtubes of drumming.
Highly recommend Michael Drake's book, CD's.
FYI Shamanic drumming is actually a meditation exercise. If you have had a hard time
meditating you might want to read this book and look up one of Micheal's CD's or youtubes.
I was very inspired to make my own drum after reading his book.
The drum make it easier for your mind to go to the place it needs to meditate or journey as
its called in Shamanism.
Highly recommend this book. Would give 100+ stars if I could!
on March 30, 2016
Tough I found some of the terminology confusing it soon became my favorite reference book on shamanism. Once I read it all the way through I had no trouble drawing upon the basic tenants of practice necessary to learn Michael Drake's techniques. I found it thoroughly informative and interesting really focusing on the fundamentals of drumming. This book should be on every beginners bookshelf.
on September 18, 2007
Michael Drake has written a sensible guide to taking a traditional shamanic journey with measured drum beats to a alternate reality where, with practice, one can meet one's spirit/animal guide. He describes with obvious deep knowledge how to use and care for a drum that will act as both a vehicle to journey and as a healing tool.

I got the impression from reading The Shamanic Drum: a Guide to Sacred Drumming that the author genuinely loves his relationship with sacred drumming and wants to share this timeless knowledge. His methods are completely safe. He states what I've found to be true: one always has one foot in this world as he/she journeys to another and can 'return' as soon as one wishes.
on October 11, 2014
This is a great guide that can take someone with no experience and plunge them into the world of the Shaman... For further reading on the subject of drumming in general... I would also suggest "Drumming at the Edge of Magic" by Micky Hart
on March 27, 2006
I thoroughly enjoyed the imagery presented in this book. The journeys of the soul were mesmerizing. The guidance for drumming was most useful. The songs presented were short, easy to remember, and inspiring. I was a little put off at the end when the author seems to imply that the book is more for the use of Native Americans (although I have some Cherokee ancestry) and not for people of other descents.
on August 20, 2013
I really enjoyed (and am still enjoying) this book. I was very much looking forward to adding shamanic drumming to my spiritual practices and this book has really started me off in the right direction.

I really enjoy the fact that the Author shares stories from many traditions and goes into the ancestral roots of drumming and also delves a bit into the science.

This book will long be a valued part of my library and my life.
on September 1, 2012
I expected a book which explained the fundamentals of shamanic drumming but I got much more than that. Just as 'The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' has little to do with motorcycling or maintaining them, this book explains more about Shamanism than it does about drumming although it also does an excellent job of revealing the integral part that drumming plays in Shamanic practice.

The author, Michael Drake, is an accomplished musician as well as a dedicated Shaman. He writes in a style that is pleasant to read and connects his points in a logical manner. I would have rated this 5 stars if he had included a CD with some examples of Shamanic drumming. He has released a few CD's but they all include other instrumentation to give them a pop-jazz feeling. I would like to hear only shamanic drumming with no frills which are intended to make it more acceptable to non-shaman listeners.
Michael, how about a pure shamanic drumming CD?
on October 21, 2012
I highly recomend this book to all the people that is starting a path in the world of shamanishm. This is an easy but powerful guide to start your shamanic path. The technics in the book are easy to follow and in practice the results are real and very very powerful and interesting.

Thank you Michael Drake for this wonderful book that has helped me in my first steps in shamanic practice. A powerful and very real tool to heal one self, the others and this beautiful planet that we live in.

Love and light.