5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Elderly.
Published on July 29, 2011 by Bonnie D.

3.0 out of 5 stars mediocre, but you don't have many other choices
"Smart Universal Jumbo Remote"

I got this remote for my folks, who can't see the buttons on normal remotes well enough to learn how to use them. It works for them, but not very well, and I'm looking for something better.

Published on January 5, 2011 by KRM

3.0 out of 5 stars mediocre, but you don't have many other choices, January 5, 2011
This review is from: The Sharper Image Smart Universal Jumbo Remote with Luminescent Touch Pad - never lose your remote again (Electronics)
"Smart Universal Jumbo Remote"

The good: this actually is a universal remote. That is, you can use it for anything, because you can teach it with your existing remotes. Also, the pre-coded library of supported devices is much more extensive than other so-called universal remotes I've tried: the last one, which was restricted to only what was pre-programmed, did not recognize *any* of my devices, while this one recs 3 out of 4, the exception being my DVR. It has really poor DVR support, and the buttons were not designed with DVRs in mind, but that's okay, because it can be reprogrammed. (That is, "okay" if you don't mind using 'page' for 'day', and 'channel' for 'page', 'quit, input, sleep' for 'A, B, C', 'guide' for 'list' and 'menu' for 'guide'.) But it has an extensive list of TVs, audio equipment, DVD and VCR players it supports natively.

The bad: it's poorly designed. The buttons do not respond all that well, which means that you often have to hit them twice, which can produce a different command. I've replaced 'play' with 'pause', because hitting play twice equals slow-mo, and that started getting annoying, while hitting pause twice equals play. Of course, that makes it difficult to pause: my folks usually have to try a couple times, as it keeps restarting. Maybe it's the infrarred in addition to the buttons: you have to point it directly at the device (my folks don't know which device does what, which makes that difficult), and even then it doesn't seem to have a range greater than ten feet. This is a problem with the master power, which is a nice idea but doesn't work well: I've combined three devices, but they have not once turned on or off together. Having only some turn on, or some on while others turn off, makes it impossible for my folks to use. We keep another remote around to power everything up.

Teaching it anything is a pain. It learns a new command less than half the time. For fast-forward, I had to "teach" it *eight times* before it stuck. That was exceptional, but several other commands took 4-6 attempts.

Also, the reason most people get large buttons is that they can't see small buttons, like my folks. These are good-sized buttons, but they're black on black, which makes them nearly invisible. Yes, they light up, but only after you press them, which is a bit ridiculous. They could at least be white/color on black, and light up as well. (Other people get it because they are handicapped and have trouble with buttons; I imagine the unresponsive touch pad would be a constant frustration for them.)

Minor point: the learning button should be a switch on the side, so you don't hit it by mistake when it's invisible.

Minor point: 'mute' is next to 'channel' instead of 'volume'. I could reprogram it, of course, but my folks would get lost. They pause instead of mute because they can't find the mute button.

Unanswered: I don't know if memory is retained when you change the battery. I don't want to risk loosing what's taken so long to program in order to find out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Elderly., July 29, 2011
Bonnie D. (Memphis,Tn USA) - See all my reviews
The delivery time was great. And the price was practical. My dad is 83 yrs old. and he watches a lot of TV. Well my sister brought him one of these remotes as a joke. Well he loved it so much that when it fell and broke, I was asked every day when I was gonna' get his remote fixed, because he couldn't use that other thing. (The original that he has been using since he got the TV.) (LOL) This makes him happy and he can use it very well, now that he can see the channels and volume buttoms. This is a great item to have even as a joke. Five stars, gladly.
Thanks, Amazon.

2.0 out of 5 stars Defective but Works, February 14, 2012
I wanted a large remote just to have something cool. I was a little weary of it being 'Sharper Image' as most of there stuff is....of poor quality. Received the remote and the batteries were dead on arrival. I replaced it with some fresh ones and the lower right hand of the remote blinks uncontrollably when it's supposed to be solid. The buttons are not located directly under the imprint on top and seems to be a "sweet spot" for each of them. Programming was relatively easy though with my JVC TV. In all, the remote does what it is meant for but the quality is poor and I received it defective. I'd pass a long to something of higher quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars remote, November 30, 2011
The only Jumbo remote I've found that works with Dish Network's dual receivers. My disabled daughter needs the large buttons. The product is perfect for her!

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome but not as easy, November 9, 2011
This remote looks cool and is pretty fun to play with but you have to make sure you aim the remote directly at the sensor to your tv or DVD player to use it. Kinda annoying but overall works well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't do what it says it will do!, February 3, 2014
Will NOT operate a DirecTV Genie Series DVR as represented. Operating manual text so small you need a magnifier to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Amazing... this is an understatement!, February 22, 2012
I was really hesitant a out getting this product. But, I am so glad I did. It works with everything I have perfectly. It is so big that I can't loose it in the sofa or my big chair. The lighted keypad makes it really easy to use. This was a really great purchase.

Rate and Discover Movies