Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

50%
50%

on March 7, 2013
I liked the characters and enjoyed the story. It felt like a different twist on a well-used general premise. My problem was with the lack of writing skill exhibited by the author. I find it hard to believe that this book made it past a professional editor in the state it is currently in.

Here are my issues:
-this format of selling the ebook in two parts seems ridiculous to me. I very rarely fail to finish a book, so I had to buy both parts, which made me feel manipulated into spending more. I tried to find the full version, but it did not appear to be available. Frankly I felt cheated. I have read many better books that cost 99 cents or were free. This one is not worth more than that.
-the writing is awkward and stiff. The narrative is hindered by long, run-on sentences, as well as many instances of a lack of proper punctuation. The author tediously drew out the background information, and then kept repeating it. His attempts to drop in extra historical information or tidbits, or even little attempts to add humour, all feel so inorganic. It felt like the author was trying to shove historical information and background story in wherever he could, regardless of fit. At times I was almost painfully embarrassed by the awkwardness. It was just bad. The flow was terrible.
-the author seemed to feel the need to always explain every mood or motivation of dialogue, as if he could never trust the reader to be intelligent enough to infer that a character is speaking in jest, etc.
-the author occasionally uses words incorrectly, as if he doesn't quite know what they mean or how to use them. (This always makes me think that an author is trying too hard to sound intelligent.) For example, using the word "mettle", when he clearly means "meddle". Also, switching between "Lieutenant" and "Leftenant"...it is written Lieutenant, no matter how it is pronounced. Also, the word "suss" didn't exist for another century after the time period of this book.
-the author makes errors in the use of female courtesy titles. The daughters of an earl are addressed as "Lady (First Name)", or more formally as "Lady (First Name) (Last Name)", not "Miss (Last Name)", as he refers to the heroine throughout the book. Her older sister, who is married, would be "Lady (First Name) (Married Name)", as she married a "Mr.", not "Mrs. (Married Name).

A positive is that, however much is left to be desired by the writing, the author does seem to have a strong knowledge of the history of the period, and the details of life then. It is unfortunate that so much of it is inserted so awkwardly into the narrative.

I did appreciate that the author did explain courtesy titles, as well as how the hero, the younger son of a Duke, came to become a Baronet. So many regency authors today do not understand how to use titles correctly. It's too bad he doesn't understand female titles as well.

Ultimately, I would like to recommend this book, as the story is good, but I feel ripped off, having had to buy it in two parts. Also, the price is too high for the quality of writing.
on October 25, 2011
This story appealed to me because I enjoy Regency era fiction and because I had read the newer 'Colonel Fitzwilliam's Correspondence' finding it excellent.

I thought the characters were all very well developed and I had a great empathy for both the Captain and young Bridget before too many pages were read. I found their parents and the Captain's coxswain highly amusing and engaging. I found myself silently 'cheering on the sidelines' at the end when it looked like matters were coming to a head.

The plot was great. It took awhile for it to develop and at times in the early going I felt that points were made repetitively about the back history which slowed the pace. But once it was on its feet and moving, the dilemma between the Duke's sons, the issues with the earl's eldest, and the barriers to the h/h relationship were fresh and not the usual to be seen in this genre.

The historical background was obviously well researched and I was pleased to note that this played a role in character development too. Many writers deep-six accuracy to appeal to modern thinking. I am glad to say this book does not. Honor and duty were very much present in both h/h.

If you enjoy some of the classical (original) regency writers, you will enjoy this book. Recommend!!!