Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

VINE VOICEon August 13, 2011
Becky moved to Waco, Texas to live with her aunt at the age of fourteen. To help her aunt more financially she began working for the town's sheriff, Jake. As time goes by and she gets older, her feelings are changing for Jake as well as his. Jake has recently started to look at Becky more of a woman than the fourteen year old girl that started housekeeping for him. Now that Jake's feelings have come into play and he is becoming jealous, he needs to do something before he loses Becky.

This was a cute and ok story for me. I had no problem with the storyline, but I think for me, it was the progress of the story that I had a bit of a problem with. Jake was sexy and dominating, while Becky is young and a bit shy and clueless with many things, that is one of the combos that has always worked for my taste. In this particular story as shy as Becky was, she was more in the forefront of the story than Jake was, and I think that is why I felt the progress in certain areas seemed ok. We do get to read about Jake but Becky's thoughts and issues over shadowed the book. I felt as though I did not get to know who Jake really was. Though this is a novella, I wanted to read more about Jake as I did Becky and see more of his perusal of her (the chase is one of the things that makes a book exciting). I still think it was a cute story with a cute concept and still look forward to more books from the author.

Storyline: FAIR
Intimacy: FAIR
Enjoyment: FAIR
I really, really enjoyed this western historical novella. The book is well written, and the characters are nicely developed. There is a lot of sexual tension between the characters. Jake is a sexy, alpha male who is so sweet and tender with his lady love, Becky. Becky is young, sweet, and innocent. Jake thinks he's too old for her, not particularly in years (he's eleven years older than she is) but rather in life experience. His past as a soldier in the war and his work as a sheriff has exposed him to the harsher side of life, a side of life that he would prefer Becky know nothing about. For three years Becky has worked for Jake as his housekeeper, cooking and cleaning for him. In the last year, since Becky turned sixteen, Jake has been having an increasingly difficult time resisting the delectable Becky. Things come to a head when Jake realizes that "little" Becky is not so little anymore, and that if he doesn't do something, and quick, he might lose her to another. This is a sweet, sexy story. There is one love scene which, although described, is not, IMO, overly graphic. Furthermore, the language used to describe the love scene is not crude. I highly recommend this novella to anyone who likes this genre of books and who likes a little "steam" to their stories.
on August 29, 2011
This is another great read by Lynda Chance. I don't even read the summary of the stories anymore when it comes to her books. I just download them because I know I'm going to love them! I can't wait to read more of her books.
on November 29, 2013
This short sweet novella portrays the changing awareness of a teenage girl about her hot dominating employer. Becky has fantasized about the sheriff Jake but is unable to make any advance. Jake is ashamed of his attraction towards his young innocent housekeeper and keeps a firm lid on his feelings. When he comes to know of other men's interest in Becky, he feels intensely jealous. Out comes their feelings for each other. The slow initiation of Becky to lovemaking is beautifully written. LC creates the environment of a forever kind of love within the short space of a novella.
The story also brings alive those old days where the lawman always had his hands full and the townsfolk knew each other and old ladies gossiped. A very sweet little story.
on June 6, 2014
I have recently started reading some of Lynda Chance's stories. At first I was a little taken back by how possessive and domineering some of her Heroes are, but quickly fell in love with them. I love arrogant, possessive, vulnerable Heroes and LC did not dissappoint. My favorites are Sarah's Surrender, The Thrill of the Chase, Staking His Claim, Marco's Redemption, Pursuit, and both of Logan & Lauren's stories (yummy!). All of which have VERY arrogant and possessive Heroes, but they are also vulnerable and fall deeply in love with the heroines. Quite a few times I actually teared up at what the H would say to the h and how passionate and loving they were. Ahhhh LOVE IT!

Anyway, this story is definitely one of her lighter reads - actually, I think the only light one - hehehehe. It still has the possessive H and adorable h, but it has less of an erotic tone to it. I love historical romance stories. I would definitely suggest you read this story if you want a short, cute, historical read. You can't help but fall in love with the characters and the time period. Again, this is a novella and not a whole novel. You can read it and finish it in one sitting.

Enjoy! :)
on January 19, 2015
There are loads of reviews so I'll just say that I loved this very short story. It's not as typically alpha as some of her other books and this one is a historical western. The h is very young and sweet and I liked the fact that the H was mysterious whilst being the macho sheriff in town. Enjoyable
on August 22, 2015
Talk about alpha. Hero was as badass as they get. It was short and hot! Recommend it. No cheating once hero opens his eyes and accepts heroine is of age and available. Since he took her in when she was a minor he did not acknowledge his feelings for her until he realizes she is not little anymore and will lose her if he doesn't wake up! He was so in denial about her availability he was "shocked" she had already had proposal. Heroine knew what she wanted and got the ball rolling towards right direction. However, this alpha male took over mighty quick when he wised up that Becky was no little girl anymore and he was very interested:) Rated R and love making started after wedding. My favorite scene was when he drags her to the church after she gets stopped. Oh man, he was not having none of that;) She loved it!
on September 23, 2014
The Sheriff and the Innocent Housekeeper
By: Lynda Chance
4/5 stars

Becky moved to Waco, Texas after the war to live with her spinster aunt, who runs a boarding house, after both of her parents died, at the age of 14. She began working for the sheriff, Jake Cooper, shortly after her arrival, keeping his house, preparing his meals, cleaning the house, doing dishes and cleaning up after him.

Becky has always been attracted to Jake and has loved working for him and taking care of his house over the last 3 years. But now at 17, a classmate has been asking her to marry him, but she only has friend feelings for him and has refused his offers. She also needs to make more money so she can help her aunt or move out so that her aunt can use her room for boarders.

Jake has been noticing Becky more often lately and that she has grown into a good looking young woman and he start to have other feelings for her. He feels somewhat shameful because she is so much younger than him.

But when push comes to shove, he can’t deny his feelings for her any longer and nothing makes her happier. He does have concerns because he won’t be able to offer her the type of life she could have if she married another man, but in the end, he is just selfish enough to keep her.
on January 2, 2012
The plot pretty much explains the story, sure there could of been more action or jealous scenes but its nice to just read a story without the complications. I like how Jake treated Becky, he's an alpha male and I love to read books where the man is the agressor but he's also got a sensitive side. This was a good read with an epilogue and its rare that you get a ebook for .99 cents that has an ending that made me smile.
Note: the age thing did not bother me due to the fact that this was a "historical" romance story and it was common for an older guy to marry a young women.
on August 13, 2015
I absolutely love these books. Linda Chance is a fabulous writer. I own everything of hers I can find and I will continue to purchase as long as she continues to write. While I was just a little disappointed at the length of this story (I didn't want it to end!) it's a lovely, sweet romance. Definitely a feel good story. :-)