Customer Discussions > The Shield: Complete Series forum

The Shield series - and subtitles

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 19, 2010 3:25:22 PM PST
Stonehedger says:
I rented seasons 1-6 from the library, what an incredible TV program! I couldn't wait to get my hands on season 7. But to my dismay, subtitles weren't available. I wrote to Sony, who wrote back to tell me that yes, they knew there was an issue. Question to all you owners of season 7 ... is subtitles (aka closed captioning) available yet???

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2010 8:11:36 PM PDT
Guilherme says:
Season 7 has no subtitles. I just discovered this after watching the first 6 seasons.

Posted on May 6, 2010 11:19:35 AM PDT
P. Junior says:
You mean, the season seven from THIS particular box, has NO subtitles at all??? lol
CRAP!!!! lol

Posted on May 6, 2010 1:37:32 PM PDT
Stonehedger says:
I'm hoping against hope somebody will report this problem fixed. I sure don't expect SONY to tell me!

Posted on May 6, 2010 1:45:56 PM PDT
P. Junior says:
man, just bought yesterday for 60 bucks. I am in fraking Brazil!!! It is a valentines gift to my GF.
She will kill me if that is right. I don't get Sony, if that is right. The guys change the formnat to widescreen but add NO subtitkes and also advertise in its own website WITH fraking subtitles???
lol

http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/catalog/catalogDetail_DVD043396287327.html

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2010 7:16:07 PM PDT
Stonehedger says:
Hope you'll let me know when you get it if you get any subtitles on Season 7. If you could just put the DVD and and see, without watching it, then let me know, I'd be REALLY grateful.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2010 7:48:42 PM PDT
P. Junior says:
I guess I will have it in about a month or so. I will post it here.

Posted on May 31, 2010 9:58:44 PM PDT
P. Junior says:
yeap.
All FULLSCREEN and season 7 has only ENG audio and NO SUBTITLES at all.
What a disrespectful advertisement this one. Discs were not scratched at all, came with some "hold papers".

I can't say I dislike the package, but I trully dislike the bad intel regarding subtitles from both Amazon description and SONY description.

"DVD DETAILS

CC: English (US)
Sub: English (US), French (Parisian), Korean, Portuguese (Brazil), Spanish (Latin Am), Thai
Color/B&W: Color"
http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/catalog/catalogDetail_DVD043396287327.html

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2010 9:20:32 AM PDT
Stonehedger says:
THANK you for following up on this thread. When I discovered what you have now discovered, I wrote to Sony, complaining. I got a response (I was surprised), and am copying the text of their response into this. Maybe if enough of us direct-dial this David Griffen, something will get done. I couldn't agree more with you that the bad intel and misleading marketing is what is as upsetting as not issuing Season 7 with CC. I intend to keep on this until Season 7 is re-issued, and will then re-post. I hope everything reading this thread will do the same.

Here's what Sony said:
"Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your interest in Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) products.

This is a known issue with this Shield Season 7. The Closed Captioning option is not an available feature on this DVD.

We are forwarding this information and your other questions, to our marketing department for future consideration.

Thank you for your continued patronage and for taking the time to contact us.

Regards,

David Griffin
SPHE Consumer Affairs
800-860-2878

Posted on Jun 1, 2010 10:22:45 AM PDT
P. Junior says:
How come they sell something telling one thing, delivering other and not offering a solution?
Well...for the ones who are native from america, maybe that is not a problem, but frak, it could AT LEAST have ENG subtitles on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2010 8:39:30 PM PDT
A. Turner says:
Did Sony think your hearing would get better by the 7th season, I was very disappointed

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2010 8:47:52 PM PDT
Stonehedger says:
Not only am I deaf in one ear, but apparently all our complaints to Sony are falling on similar deaf ears. Absolutely nothing has changed in the over 12 months since season 7 was released. Unbelievable, just unbelievable. I think we should ALL write to Sony, as I did exactly one year ago today. I got an email response from an email address of Consumer@SPHECustomerSupport.Sony.com, and "signed" by ...
David Griffin
SPHE Consumer Affairs
800-860-2878

CALL OR WRITE. Maybe it will help.

Posted on Dec 28, 2010 7:25:41 PM PST
J. Cray says:
I am deaf and purchased the box set for my mother on her birthday last January (2010). SHe waited until I visited this recent holiday season (2010) to watch it with me. The quality of the subtitles is terrible in that it is delayed, missing or inaccurate. Based on my review of others' posts, Sony's response is unacceptable and deplorable. I intend to pursue this issue in an effort to prevent this from reoccuring on other DVDs released by Sony Pictures. What perplexes me is the fact that the closed captioning (somewhat different from subtitles depending on the context) was excellent when I borrowed the individual seasonal DVDs of The Shield from my co-worker. I wish I was aware of the resources available to me to have this addressed immediately because the Federal Communications Commission only oversees the television industry and unfortunately, not the movie industry.

Posted on Feb 11, 2011 4:53:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2011 4:54:53 PM PST
Wade says:
Forgive the lateness of the comment relative to the other ones, but I just bought Season 7 yesterday. I, too, noticed this problem when I could not understand a line of dialogue and sought out closed captioning for assistance and found it unavailable despite the labeling on the box. Out of curiosity, I put one of the discs into my PC's DVD player and started an episode with the PowerDVD program that came with my computer. After playing around a bit I actually got it to show captions, though even then it was a sort of "stream of consciousness" kind of thing with text popping up and wrapping around all over the screen. I realize that this is in no way a meaningful or even helpful bit of information, but thought I should mention it anyway. For those of you who really need closed captioning, I am sorry and can not even begin to imagine how frustrating it must be to spend that much money on a product that you seem to care more about than Sony.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2011 5:57:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2011 6:12:46 PM PST
Stonehedger says:
Thank you Wade for this update, and to ALL of you who have responded. I've found out something interesting to those of you who have TiVo instead of cable or dish ... YOU'RE IN LUCK!! Turns out some of you, maybe most, can activate closed captioning directly with your TV remote, and not have to use the cable TV's cable box to activate it. (Those cable and dish companies enslave us!) My sister has TiVo, and had no issue at all with getting closed captioning on every single disk for every single year, including the final season. This does not negate the completely dishonorable corporate behavior of Sony, which continues to put out this DVD set full of deficiencies. I plan to write again right now, enthused once again at the feedback this post has generated.

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 6:46:58 AM PDT
G. Birkett says:
I bought this set for my french wife and i to watch and was amazed to find there was neither subtitles nor close captioning in Season 7 without which my wife is not able to follow the story. I find it incredible and was bitterly disappointed. Has anybody who has complained either received DVD's with captioning or a refund from either Sony or Amazon?

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 10:32:55 AM PDT
Stonehedger says:
You'd think by now Sony would have addressed this ... but no, apparently not, thanks to the update from Mr. Birkett. I STILL haven't seen Season 7, and by now, I'm going to have rewatch Season 6 to reacquaint myself with characters. I plan to visit my sister in Phoenix, the one with TiVo, in 2012, and will watch it on her television. But I'm never going to buy the series until the problem has been fixed, and there is confirmation from folks such as yourself. When that happens, if ever, I will not hesitate to buy it (though regret doing so adds to Sony's cash register) ... fabulous series.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 10:04:16 AM PST
Tivo Sister says:
Stonehedger is correct...I am her sister. I can get the closed captioning on my TIVO---Thank Goodness! The Shield was the most wonderful series and I would have been devistated not to know what they were saying in that final year. Good luck to all of you!

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 8:04:50 AM PST
Received the Shield yesterday.Disc one was scratched up and played just half way and locked up.Checked out season 7 and no subtitles.
Called Amazon.ca and they send me to the info to send them back also they stoped sending out all sets till the problem is corrected.

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 8:43:58 PM PST
P says:
Any updates? Is season 7 still missing the subtitles?

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 4:50:47 PM PDT
hunterman37 says:
PLEASE CLOSED CAPTION!! for deaf people

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2013 9:23:01 PM PDT
Stonehedger says:
My sister purchased the entire series about 6 months ago from Amazon, and she knew I hadn't seen the 7th season yet. So when I visited her last month (in March of 2013), we put the disc with season 7 in her DVD player. And CC? ... nada, zip. Sony continues to produce the same Season 7 over and over again, no CC, no "previously on 'The Shield'" clips, nothing. I started this blog over THREE years ago, and still no product update from Sony. Someone should sue them. Absolutely fabulous series, so if you don't need CC, do watch it!!! I still haven't seen the final season, makes me sick. Thanks for posting on this, hunterman37, I do appreciate your, and everyone's, posts.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2013 6:09:14 PM PDT
hunterman37 says:
It does make a difference to those here in America. My daughter is deaf and needs the subtitles, so I am unhappy also.

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 8:03:16 PM PDT
Alecheverry says:
Purchased from Amazon in May 2014. Just now started watching season 7 and it comes to my attention it doesn't have subtitles. Will try to contact sony and see what happens. Incredible that something like this happens...not only a problem for foreigners watching the series but also for hard of hearing or deaf purchasing the set. This is misleading.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Feb 19, 2010
Latest post:  Sep 23, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Shield: Complete Series
The Shield: Complete Series by Michael Chiklis (DVD - 2009)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (254)