The Shoot (Motion Control) - Playstation 3
Price:$7.64 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 22, 2010
Sometimes you are wrong about something and you are sad to learn you could be so stupid. This is not one of those times. I was a little disappointed with the length of Time Crisis: Razing Storm so I bought this game to use with my MOVE Precision Shot 3 and was glad I did.

The Good:
The different motifs and varied environments keep you entertained and ready for more.
The sections take close to thirty minutes to complete. Just about the time your hand starts to hurt you have made it to the end.
The set designs are AMAZING, and get better as you progress through the game. When I played the Western themed demo I was not impressed, the further you progress the more inventive and elaborate the sets get. The Sci-Fi Robots and Zombies are very detailed and well done.
Playing through a scene again you start to see combo shots that you may have missed last time.
Small details like reflecting light from lamps and robot lights would not be possible on the Wii.
I thought Time Crisis: Razing Storm would be the better of the two Move shooters but I was wrong.

The Bad:
The gun calibration has a tendency to drift. The problem starts when you calibrate the aim. The developer only provides two shots for reference points. This leaves you retrying the calibration multiple times to have it feeling right with the gun attachment. You will also notice while playing the aiming crosshair will, like I said, drift a little to the left or right from when you calibrated. I do not know if it is from scooting around on the couch from the spot you originally calibrated. This may be a problem with the move tech, I hope not. Some light gun shooter purist will find this unacceptable and I can understand why. I love the feeling of aiming down the gun sites with no onscreen curser AREA 51/Point Blank style. When they figure out how to do it with the Playstation Move I will be overjoyed.
If you can get past not using the iron sites then this game is worth the price of admission. Light gun fanatics like me should have a blast.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 3, 2011
Can someone tell me why the hell is the 2 player version of this game is locked!? so to be able to play 2players first you have to play the 1player version and unlock each level! its pretty sad when my nephew has to sit there and watch me play the 1player version first jus so he can play too!!! WTF are the developers thinking!? its 2011 why are game companys still making these kinds of mistakes!?
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 30, 2011
Just a heads up for people who want this for two player capability. You must clear a level first to make it available for two in the score mode.

Note that you also must clear a level at a high enough score to unlock the next level - what this means is you need to do a lot of solo playing to unlock levels before you can enjoy any casual two player action. I would also say that by the time you clear a level you aren't exactly in the mood to repeat the level all over in two player.

So this game is not a good choice if you want to jump right in and play with a friend. (Just another example of the ridiculous mindset that refuses to let you have fun playing a game with a friend because of some arcane code of logic that makes you spend hours of grinding to earn the right to use two player.)

Otherwise its a fun shooter for playstation move, but see other comments on the calibration - there is some trial and error needed to get it to aim right.
Verified Purchase
Don't get me wrong, this is a great game, but with some problems. The first problem is save points. I played this game about 30 minutes or so, and was taken back to the beginning after I died. I then started over, and the same thing happened. So, I invested one hour into a game, and have to start at the beginning with a scene I already saw. I finally decided to play again. I finally beat the train gang level, but was told I needed 400,000 points to open the next level. Are you kidding me? I work. I don't want to play the same level because I saw it, and want to see new stuff. Guess not. I played it a fourth time, and went to the Robot level, but was still upset with all the time I wasted trying to open new levels (the trick is to sit closer to the TV,instead of 15 feet away. LOL). This is a precision game, and is based off of multipliers. So, if you shoot 30 cardboard figures in a row, and then miss, your multiplier is now 15.
The second problem I saw was "Showtime". To activate "Showtime", you have to twirl the Move controller 360 degrees. I'm not exactly sure what that means, but moving the controller towards me and back to the screen in a full circle. The problem I found though is that if the Move controller is tilted upwards, Showtime doesn't work. The directions at the beginning of the game didn't really explain Showtime well enough, although I figured it out, and have activated it several times. The problem is that this motion feels awkward. Why couldn't I point at something on screen to activate Showtime instead of twisting my wrists?
The third and final problem I have is that you must move the Move controller to the left or right to avoid certain shots like the Quickdraw minigame or when the bad guys throw knives at you (if you don't shoot the knife). For me, this has no place in a light shooter game. Takes away from the fun factor IMO.
Overall, this is a very fun game, although very frustrating because of the save points and the movements to get special moves going. I think it would be better to press a button on the Move controller or point at an object on screen. I do believe if Sony addressees these issues, The Shoot 2 will be a hot selling game.
on January 23, 2011
frustrating that you have to score so many points just to unlock the next level. I played through the Outlaws and Robot levels OK, but then got stuck on The Mob and haven't been able to see the last two levels yet. Frankly, I've become tired of finishing The Mob over and over again, but with not enough points to get access to the next level, that the game has become more repetitive and frustrating than fun.

The game plays well with The Move control alone, but once I put the control into my pistol attachment, I found it glitchy when spinning around to engage the slow motion feature.

While a fun game, at least until some better shooting game alternatives come along, it's not that great that you want to spend hours and hours of your time getting expert enough to unlock the next levels - especially a game that is one of the very first shooting games for The Move system and will be purchased by many people who are not hardcore gamers. A cheat to give you access to all levels would be a good thing.

I've always played this alone, but I read in the other reviews that the designers also made THE SHOOT difficult just to get started in two player mode - you have to earn access to this - how ridiculous is that?

If you really want to try out that new Move pistol or rifle you got for Christmas, then go ahead and buy this. But if you can, just wait until better shooting games come along, and you'll be able to pick up THE SHOOT at a bargain price later on.
on November 6, 2010
The move does one thing very well, and that is shooting games, the accuracy combined with the HD capability is giving us an arcade light gun experience at home. The Shoot plays like a classic on rails "light gun" game but sheds convention like a snake losing skin throughout the 5 episodes that dot the brightly colored cartoonish backgrounds and foregrounds. There is more to do than your average gun game as well, you are looking for poster pieces to unlock non shooter style minigames one for each scenario. You also have to focus on accurate shooting as unlocking the next movie requires a few tries in the later levels but you will master the tactics of the games RAMPAGE/SLOWMO/GROUNDBLAST doing so. Once you learn the tricks you can go for high scores on the individual chapters of each shoot, or play the challenges in co-op. Debris and set pieces will block your shot as the foreground and background and targets are all in their own space making this game highly replayable even though the targets pop up in the same places each play through and the bosses never vary their routine. This is where we get to the missing star if this game had randomized targets and didn't lose calibration sometimes when doing the slo-mo 360 spin I would go higher. As it is I was smiling all the way through the playable credits. Bring on the DLC.
on January 5, 2011
Verified Purchase
I bought this game to play it with my nephew, and it was a mistake.

2 Player mode is really hard to unlock, you have to find 8 parts of a hidden ticket in order to be able to play this level in coop.

In addition, even if you beat level 1, you must achieve 400.000 points to unlock level 2. Once you are in level 2, you have to find another set of ticket parts to play it in coop and so on.

Since we couldn't play together, I gave him the move controller and it was very hard for him. (7 years old)

It wasn't the fun family experience I was looking for.
on January 10, 2011
Verified Purchase
Why 2-player mode need to be unlocked..??? This is like buying a cool game but it comes with a difficult puzzle and you need to solve it before you can have fun with a friend. I totally not getting the idea behind it. Can someone with a good heart tell me where to get a save file that already have the "2-player mode" unlocked for this game online anywhere? I just simple don't care about the trophy thing and just want to have some real fun with my friends and brothers. Thank you for your help whoever out there. Have a great day.
on December 13, 2011
Verified Purchase
I got this game mostly to enjoy a two player shooter. I was greatly disappointed when I found out that I have to clear levels in order to unlock that 'feature'. We're close to 2012 this kind of mentality has to go. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that want to just do 2 players. If the developers are seeing this, I'd highly recommend releasing a patch to enable two player mode without having to play the game in single player.
This is a well thought and designed game in terms of shooting. It gets a little bit of getting used to it, initially so you might find yourself calibrating a few times. Once it's set you should be good to go. I didn't find myself needing to purchase the guns in order to have fun with this game, the ps3 move controllers were more than enough. One thing I think can also be improved is the loading time between stages, it seems a little bit slow and I think that's because it tries to preload the entire scene into the GPU or memory.
on December 17, 2010
Verified Purchase
Liek the game and the action... can be a lot of fun but the game will not allow 2 player action until you unlock that feature, which takes some time. Kind of dissappointed in that and the fact that it takes quite a bit of play time to do the unlocking!

See 1 answered question