on July 27, 2008
This cd is simply the best cd released this year. You talk about a musical effort by an up and coming band that has it all in glorious heights: lyrics, singing, melodies and rollicking guitars. No band this year has or can top this effort by The Classic Crime.

While current bands struggle to write one or two good songs for their cds and aim for the ITunes download mother load for one of the songs. The Classic Crime hit the mother load on this cd. All 15 songs are good and add to the texture and the tone of the cd. Each song builds onto the next song until you hit the pinnacle with the last song "The Beginning". This song is the best final track that a band has laid down in a long, long time.

If there was ever a band and a cd that deserves to explode into the mainstream, it is this band and its latest "The Silver Cord" What a refreshing listening in the current muck that is music today. Buy the cd to support a band that deserves more notice and success than many of the bands that have achieved a greater level of success. The Classic Crime deserves more publicity than it is getting.
on July 24, 2008
This album is musically and lyrically very strong and Matt's consistently clean and melodic vocals are enhanced by the rest of the band beautifully. These guys have a message for everyone and that is one of hope. As they did with Albatross, there's a great mix of driving rock and the slower paced anthems. Don't miss out on this one.

I love it! I recommend it!
on August 19, 2008
The sounds of The Classic Crime are like nothing I have ever heard before and the full throttle drive of their music and rock sound is absolutely something i can't get enough of.

The Silver Cord will tear your heart out and insert wisdom and a sobered up look at life.

Worth every penny.
on October 7, 2008
The Classic Crime delivers everything expected and more on their new album The Silver Cord. It's a worthy sequel to Albatross, crushing in every way the dreaded "Sophomore Slump." Although it starts off a little slow for me, nearly every song on the album has gotten more than 5 repeats on my ipod in the last 24 hours before I wrote this review. Here's a rating and explanation for each song...

The End - 7/10

Not particularly catchy or memorable, but it starts slow-paced and ends with a proper introduction to the next song on the CD. Since I don't think it was intended to be an actual song on the CD but more of an intro, I think it does the job very well.

Just A Man - 9/10

Just A Man starts off with a catchy guitar intro that carries into the song. Its lyrics are rather powerful, making an attentive listener think. On top of all of that, it is truly an enjoyable song to listen to.

Gravedigging - 10/10

Truly a masterpiece. I enjoy every second of this song, from cowbell to fading applause, the verse and chorus both ring perfectly together. The guitar solo near the middle of the song is entirely appropriate and, personally, pumps me up quite a bit.

The Way That You Are - 8/10

This song is primarily about peer pressure--about not buckling under criticism. It is a cliche topic, but it is written well and shouldn't be underestimated.

5805 - 8/10

This is a song about friendship and nostalgia. The verse is written in a waltz pattern that doesn't fit very well for me, but when Matt gets into the bridge and chorus, the song opens up decently.

Salt in the Snow - 10/10

A brilliant song that captures the listener both lyrically and melodically. The song is 5 minutes of glory that I don't think can be matched on another song. The opening verse is slow and easy to listen to, then it moves into a louder chorus that uses a nice analogy of salt in the snow to get the point across to the listener. My favorite song on the CD.

Abracadavers - 9/10

This song speaks to people with pride issues:

We're all the same,
Made of hair and bones and water and blood cells
And we're all to blame,
For spending way too much time on ourselves

Its point is simple and common, but again, Classic Crime gives convictions to the listener. This is one of the hardest rock songs on the album, and Matt's voice fits surprisingly well. Definitely a song that should be listened to again and again.

R&R - 6/10

Maybe it's just me, but this song never really reached me in a way that kept me coming back for more. It's rather dull, in my opinion, and doesn't really make me feel any different after the song is over. An average song.

God and Drugs - 10/10

This song starts off very slow, but it builds closer and closer to the ultimate point in a tempo-increasing pattern. The song sings about drugs and the negative effect they have on people. A good message and good melody, combined with amazing music makes for a perfect score and constant repeat.

Medisin - 9/10

This song opens with a creepy guitar solo that nearly gives me chills. Not quite sure why it does, but it does its job. The chorus is a good listen and enough to make me return several times.

The Ascent - 8/10

This song is purely instrumental and only about 110 seconds long. It's a surprising break in the last part of the album that lets the reader sort of reflect on everything he's heard. It serves as a precursor to Sing.

Sing - 9/10 (10/10)

This song doesn't disappoint; in fact, it's one of my favorite songs on the album. The chorus and verse are truly enjoyable, but the song loses a point because of the computer-altered voice in the middle that I cannot just stand. Consider it a 10 out of 10 if that doesn't really bother you,

Everything - 8/10

Not much to say here. It's just a love song that is played in classic Classic Crime style (no pun intended).

Closer Than We Think - 10/10

An amazing song that captures living life to the fullest in a catchy, easy-listening way. This is one of the best songs on the CD behind Salt in the Snow. It is at its best if you listen to the entire album before it.

The Beginning (A Simple Seed) - 10/10

This is the perfect song to end the album. It speaks about the band's desire to return home to Seattle. This is one of my favorite lines:

"If a simple seed gets just what it needs,
Then a redwood tree can grow
Up to a hundred feet for the world to see,
And endure the sleet and the snow.
But if my whole life was wrapped and priced,
I wonder what the tag would show.
'Cause every time I'm close to the holy ghost,
I always seem to let her go."

After listening to this song, the listener should feel like the band just performed an entire album and is saying goodbye to them. Overall, this is the perfect end to a nearly flawless album.

Average: 8.9

Overall, the Classic Crime does not disappoint in any way shape or form without the listening being extremely picky. The Classic Crime has delivered and I think will continue to deliver through the years. I have high hopes for them.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
From the Seattle Sessions to Albatross to The The Silver Chord these guys have succeeded at everything they've attempted. I am impressed.

This CD starts off strong and is definitely a cd that can be played straight through. I believe that this is a good end of summer anthem cd.

For those of you not familiar, these guys sound like Spill Canvas or Cartel though 5805 does show some Panic at the Disco influence.

Upon listening to the lyrics in the opening "The End" you'll realize that there is going to be a purpose behind the lyrics of the songs that are to follow. We go on to find out that it's a rapid journey through emotion and life. While the lyrics may not totally be ground breaking, they are genuine enough that they allow one to get into more than just the great music on the CD.

There are a few relatively generic/clichéd songs like Abracadavers and Medisin on this, but they are spaced out enough that I didn't get bored as I listened to the CD from start to finish. There are also radio friendly tracks like Sing, and Closer Than We Think, but the most enjoyable tracks for me were ones like Just a Man, 5805, This is the Way, and Everything.

The thirteenth track, Closer Than We Think, is the song that begins the ending of the CD. "I still hold the belief that we are free, that we don't need the rules to see!" The song attempts (and succeeds for me) to pump us back up. Its uplifting chords and the drum roll take us off the edge we may have been put on by the relatively depressing or serious things about life expressed in the previous songs. It's the "hope" track. Cheesy as it may sound, it's a good placement for this song.

Finally "The Beginning" which is the end (appropriate considering the first track is "The End") rolls us up and out. This song about coming back home literally and figuratively, is a good end song.

One thing to note is the Christian references and phrase placements found throughout the CD. I'm not sure what their stance is with God or Christianity but it is interesting nonetheless that they make a point to stick these in. Perhaps another reviewer will be able to elaborate.

Overall this in my opinion is a 4.5 star album. I was not let down at all and am sure this will get regular play on my iPod. Especially since the lyrics aren't out yet and I'm still trying to totally figure out the story behind the full cd.

If you liked Albatross you will love this CD.

Good work TC2.

Check it
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 22, 2012
"Better Average" than Albatross is saying we removed the outliers Headlights and Say The Word. Still, it's this album in tandem with Albatross that makes The Classic Crime my favorite band. This album is rough around the edges, and in fact except for their best songs this band is--but they make up for it in raw power. While this album lacks full masterpieces, almost every song is especially good. I've listed to this album through over and over and over, and it seems that virtually every song stands out. Every song feels like it deserves special recognition from the album. It's fantastic consistency, but while being very unique from each other. The Silver Cord manages to have a notable range of style while still having an overall feeling of unity. There are some songs that aren't so special, namely Gravedigging (Screaming is bad, the ending is just DUMB), God and Drugs, Everything and Medicine--but even these are very good. In fact, I think these are the only ones that aren't especially great. There are a couple others with dings in their greatness; 5805 has the issue of a TERRIBLE introduction, the beginnings of the verses are just stupid. And yet the choruses are so fantastic it saves the song and even makes it special. Abracadavers also has lame verses, and The Way That You Are has meh verses. But their choruses are consistently awesome. The End is a unique intro song, and The Beginning, while not being super amazing, captures the feeling of deep, true happiness wonderfully (unlike most 'happy' songs which are just sugary or nice, this song is like an exquisite painting of Hawaii or a golden sunrise, reminiscent of Switchfoot's The Setting Sun--or vice versa). Salt in the Snow is perhaps the best, but it's hard to say because the album's strength is, again, in being so overall awesome. And the album generally has better lyrics than Albatross's, which weren't very good. These ones aren't great, but lyrics are of lesser importance unless they're distractingly stupid.
on November 15, 2009
The Classic Crime put out a CD Called "Albatross" in 2006 and I thought it was very well done. My expectation for "The Silver Cord" was about 75% close to Albatross but not as great. Well, I was left impressed.... This band puts out the kind music that leaves you wanting to hear it over and over again. I listened to "Medisin" probably about 20 times in one month and I am not tired of it. "Gravedigging", it is an amazing song... and this CD contains songs for all taste in music! Their range of appeal is huge due to their variety and flexibility! I am now eager to listen to the next CD they will put out! If you like great music check this CD right here in Amazon and You will want to buy it!

Drocker
on March 6, 2009
I've never written a review on Amazon but this CD made me do it. I initially bought this CD because I liked Closer Than We Think and Sing. However, after taking a listen, those 2 songs are now low on the totem pole.

The thing that really stands out to me about The Silver Cord is the variety/uniqueness of every song; as with the case with some bands, you often get the same sound over and over on a release ... not with this one! They are all over the place musically on this and they deliver a stunning performance. I want to catch these guys in concert!

I can't wait to see what they come out with next. The Silver Cord won't disappoint.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 15, 2009
If you're looking for a great alternative/rock listen, look no further. Most CDs have one or two standout tracks, this CD is loaded with them. While I enjoyed Albatross on the whole, the Silver Cord raises the bar much higher and they have developed a more distinct sound with this effort. Forget silver, the lead singer for this band has golden pipes.

Would recommend: Just a Man, Gravedigging, The Way That You Are, Salt in the Snow, Abracadavers, God and Drugs, Sing, Everything. In others words, just get the whole CD.

The classic crime is that this CD hasn't exploded into the mainstream.
on February 1, 2013
I bought this album and listened to it as I read the Hunger Games EVERYDAY as I rode the bus. It's that good! I was already a fan of the Classic Crime from way back before they got popular. I saw them in concert when they were promoting their debut album and they have definitely stepped it up! It exceeded my expectations! I don't think there is even one song on this album that I don't like. It's been my favorite for months now. I had my husband listen to it, and even he likes it and he's picky. Get it!