4.0 out of 5 stars 'review
Published 6 months ago by Marie A.

1.0 out of 5 stars So disappointed
Published 5 months ago by cblyth

4.0 out of 5 stars 'review, March 21, 2014
I was looking for a book about breast cancer to help me through my sadness. I went thru surgery and chemo. I start radiation next week. So I sort of skipped to the radiation part. I am still at the stage where I don't want to hear about other ppls cancer because I think I have it too. I am a bit of a hypochondriac. I wanted to know how to deal with my feelings. Anger, sadness, fright, and the most overwhelming feeling of 'when is it coming back'. The book was helpful. I wish I had as good an attitude as holleey. I am half empty girl. I took away good things from the book. I always say that if I learned one thing from reading something, it was worth it. I took away several things. So I would recommend to give this book to someone who was just diagnosed. It gives you all you need to know about what to expect on your 'journey'. I wish I read it before I went thru mine. All the best :)

1.0 out of 5 stars So disappointed, April 3, 2014
This review is from: The Silver Lining: A Supportive and Insightful Guide to Breast Cancer (Paperback)
My sister pointed out this author on Good Morning America and I was so excited to read her book since we seemed to have so much in common based on her interview. I thought, "Wow, just what I need; a similar story about breast cancer written by a woman around my age." Well, sad to say this is not uplifting in any way. I am currently undergoing a similar chemotherapy regime as the author and when I read this section self-preservation kicked in full gear; I had to stop reading. I'm a believer in psychology playing a major part in side effects; therefore, the book was apt to make my imagination run wild. The author did not finish the chemotherapy, did not finish her hormone therapy and I'm left wondering...why write an inspirational book if you fail to inspire others? Maybe some will find her story "inspirational" and I'm just "weird," but this book definitely wasn't for me and I warn potential readers to read with caution. "Silver linings" exist throughout the book, but the reader has to first endure the absolute torture the author goes through. And, yes, cancer is a form of torture, without a doubt; however, it could have been written from a much more powerful perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, March 22, 2014
My sister was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a double mastectomy recently. She has family and emotional support but she does not have any nearby support. She just had a port put in and will start aggressive chemo followed by radiation. I saw Hollye on one of the TV program and immediately ordered the book for my sister. This is what my sister wrote me " It is amazing. It is exactly what I am going through right on down to the Port-A-Cath. It's a step by step through chemo etc. and some things to alleviate some of the problems that arise. She even talks about EMLA cream to numb the port skin". This is a much needed book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful., March 25, 2014
This book is what has been missing in the breast cancer journey. When I went through this myself, I looked for books to help me understand my feelings and discuss the REAL experience. This book is REAL. I especially appreciated the latter chapters discussing life after treatment. That is where I am now and I truly appreciated the insight. I no longer felt alone in my feelings. A must read for anyone dealing with a breast cancer diagnosis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, approachable and personal advice, truly supportive and insightful!, April 1, 2014
Hollye's writes of her own cancer diagnosis and treatment in such a way to provide an approachable clinical perspective combined with the personal voice of a patient. Her writing is not bogged down with jargon. It is her real story--complete with humor, frustration and fear. The detail is real and while it leaves little to the imagination it gives you the benefit of knowing what to expect and how to navigate the circumstance. It is as if you are borrowing the notes of Hollye's experience and treatment so that you can have the best possible treatment plan. The book is beautifully laid out. I love the "lifeline" content highlighted throughout the book as well as the "silver lining" pages, "practical matters" pages, glossary, and resource guide. Elizabeth Messina's photography is lovely and a wonderful compliment. I highly recommend this book to anyone that may be diagnosed with cancer or supporting a family member or friend with a cancer diagnosis.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed !!, April 15, 2014
I would first like to say that unless you are a breast cancer patient, I don't think you can really comment on this book because you have nooooo personal experience with it. I think the book is beautiful (photos) and she is accurate about the stages you go through. However I do agree with the other review in that I almost found her complaining annoying while reading it. Millions of women have gone before her and will continue to be diagnosed. I did not really find it uplifting either, she did do a good job telling you about every miserable step, but I'm not sure that you really need to know this anyway. Sometimes you just have to go through it... Maybe I'm wrong but there are so many women who so less fortunate then her, maybe she can donate the proceeds from this book to the women who really need it. I give it 3 stars for her detailed and informative step by step information.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good info presented in an annoying way, May 4, 2014
Avid Reader (Wheaton, Il United States) - See all my reviews
I am currently in treatment for breast cancer, and was anxious to have another, nurses, perspective on the disease.
I found some parts of the book to be very helpful, and other parts annoying. Her audience for this book is definitely not children, yet her reaction to pain is: Alarm! Alarm! Alarm! Owie! Owie! Owie!, sounds as such, and got annoying very quickly! Her description of her husband,, HOTY,( husband of the year), was used thruout the entire book. We got it the first time! There is a lot of info here. Just wish the editors would have worked on her little girl writing style.

1.0 out of 5 stars I stopped reading it., June 6, 2014
Rebecca M Faulkner/Ladybugz Landing (Findley Lake, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book just before I had my first chemo treatment. To me, she did not come across supportive. Maybe insightful from her point of view only. Her description of all the trials and tribulations she faced scared me to death. I put the book down and will never read a page of it again. And I will not share it with anyone else facing chemo. I am now half way through my chemo treatments and they have gone relatively smoothly. No chemo treatments are even close to being fun but the things she wrote don't necessarily happen to all chemo patients. I feel she is getting too much publicity for a book that is not even close to being a supportive walk through the shadows of chemotherapy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Breast Cancer Book I've Read!, May 4, 2014
When I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer I was overwhelmed, didn't understand much of what was being told to me, and tried to find answers to many questions which created a high level of anxiety as I searched the internet. This one book provided everything I wanted to know in an organized, easy to comprehend style. It is at once a universal story and at the same time a reference and guide. Many thanks to my nephew Scott and his beautiful wife Niki! I have purchased several copies of this book to give to others who have found themselves in the same situation. I can't recommend this book highly enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Insightful and Helpful, May 22, 2014
This book came out just a week or so prior to my wife being diagnosed with cancer. It was extremely helpful, informative, insightful, and took away a lot of questions that were looming over us at the time of the diagnosis. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn more about breast cancer from someone who experienced it first hand (and then some). My wife has since gone through her first surgery and is awaiting the next two. This book gave us a lot of knowledge going in and helped answer a lot of the unknowns. We still reference it to help us form questions (and answer some) as we go forward with our health care team of doctors.

The Silver Lining: A Supportive and Insightful Guide to Breast Cancer
The Silver Lining: A Supportive and Insightful Guide to Breast Cancer by Hollye Jacobs (Paperback - March 18, 2014)
$29.99 $21.80