5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and needs a sequel

Published on April 27, 2010 by Joshua Abramson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Simply Guide? Too Simple, April 27, 2010
This review is from: The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life (Paperback)
I really like where Leo Babauta is coming from. Especially in our time of over-consumption, and too much clutter--stuff, activities, stimuli, thoughts--his voice is refreshing. The content is bare bones and there was little new to glean if you're already in the inquiry. I've wanted to be a minimalist for nearly thirty years and have taken it on wholeheartedly. I was looking for more how-to advice that was offered. Inspirational, well-thought out, but there could be more meat on them bones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and needs a sequel, February 20, 2010
This review is from: The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life (Paperback)
I love this book. I'll probably never be a true minimalist, but it's amazingly inspirational. If nothing else, the simple tips should make you ask yourself "Do I *really* need to do things the way I've been doing them?" Just a couple of examples here: he shows how you can travel on the barest of packing, and it's made me re-think what I really need to bring on my next trip. He also shows a very minimal desk to accommodate a monitor - with NOTHING on it, not even a photo. Though I can't go that extreme, it did make me ask myself if I was keeping an array of supplies scattered or stacked or sorted all over my desk because I genuinely used them frequently - or just out of habit because that's what's "supposed" to be on a desk. I recommend this book to everyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but not much to it, May 10, 2010
This review is from: The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life (Paperback)
My thought are about the same as those expressed by Joshua Abramson. The book is well written. It is easy to read. The author quotes several interesting sources. But, I feel as though, if I were back in high school, and I were given a school assignment to write a book about how to live a minimalist lifestyle, I could have written about the same thing, without much trouble.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading of "The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life", March 4, 2010
This review is from: The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life (Paperback)
If you are curious or wonder what a simple/minimalist life can look like, this is a great little book to read. As the author states this book is only one person's experience however, Leo Babaut lays out the essential guidelines with tools he used ro simplify his life.

I bought this book just to have on hand to remind me of another's journey since I am on my own journey to simplify life. I found the book useful and well thought out. This book does direct you to other resource, many of which I have already read. He also has a website you can visit for other articles.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Sample is Enough, May 4, 2011
I appreciate and support the author's efforts to live a minimalist life, within the confines of family, work and our consumer society, and to share that experience with us. The book is affirming for those of us who favor/seek/enjoy the spirit of minimalism. That said, the Kindle book sample was sufficient - I got nothing more out of the full read. The ideas were either repetitious or micro-suggestions that were too specific to the author's experience, without giving us the benefit of his authentic personal struggle with minimalism in a consumer society.

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected More. Wanted more., September 25, 2010
This review is from: The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life (Paperback)
I'm not sure if the reason I expected more from this book is because I'm beyond wanting to get organized. I want to minimize. I'm past needing to know how to de clutter. The book was not edited at all I'm pretty sure. It seems that blog posts were simple bound in a book. References were made to pictures or other things that just weren't there! I did glean one need idea from the book and in that regard I have to say it was worth purchasing. I've struggled for 15 years on how to manage photos - with 4 kids, pets, friends, family, etc. it seems to get overwhelming so the pictures remain in digital form or for the old ones in boxes. His idea was to send my old photos to a company to digitalize them. I always was planning on doing this myself. I should have known there was a company out there to do it for me : ) Once everything is digitalized I can simple keep on the computer or use on online book source to have them bound into family scrap books. Enough said.

3.0 out of 5 stars The blog in book form., April 9, 2012
This review is from: The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life (Paperback)
I love Leo Babuta's blog ZenHabits.net. He's one of the most engaging bloggers on the whole simplicity movement and his blog has gotten me through some tough days, bringing me back to remembering what's important in life when I'm stressed. I really like his story and the journey he is sharing with his readers - he is not just telling you to do all this, he has gone through every step of the way himself. I started reading his blog when I was living a very hectic lifestyle - working at a competitive job in NYC, long commute, lots of work stress and "keeping up with the NYC lifestyle" stress. I knew it was so far from the life I wanted to be living, but didn't really know how to transition. I also didn't know if I could get zen with the fact that doing so would mean dramatically less income and less social life. But Leo helps you break it down and take it in stages, weeding out the items in your life that aren't serving you and taking on the simple motto of "do less". Just "do less". So simple and brilliant.

As much as I love the blog, I don't really feel like the book brought me a lot of new information. I know it must be tough to come up with enough material for an ongoing blog and a book because you are probably using up all your ideas constantly writing the blog. I think that's the fundamental problem with blogger books. If you're already reading the blog, the book is probably not going to share anything dramatically new.

I think if you're already reading the blog for free, just stick with that (sorry Leo). But if you want to share the ideas with someone who would not commit to reading the blog, this would make a great gift.

On another note, it looks like Leo has teamed up with another simplicity blogger (I forgot her name, sorry!) to write a new book about living clutter free which seems like it might have some new information since de-cluttering is not one of the main focuses on the blog, so I am considering buying that one. If I do, I shall review it for you!

4.0 out of 5 stars From a guy who has too much stuff..., January 18, 2011
A few years ago, a good friend of mine began asking me to try some "new" things that he benefits from in his own personal life. First, barefoot running. I tried implementing some barefoot runs into my routine, thoroughly enjoyed them, and now do so regularly. I feel better physically, running is more fun than before, and it's a change I decided to keep.

My friend is about as healthy as a person could be, both inside and out. When he told me I should consider becoming a vegetarian, I scoffed at the suggestion. You see, I like steak. A lot.

Minimalism is something that he's started to slowly bring into his own life, and the changes are profound. While I have two daughters under the age of 4, it could get tricky--and my wife, oh my wife loves her shoes. However, the idea of needing less, having less, and feeling more free is one that I am not going to pass up on. So I started by following a few blogs recommended by my friend, and I was hooked by Leo's in particular.

With a desire to read as much of his ebook collection as possible on my awesome new Kindle, I decided to start here with "The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life." There is a lot of awesome stuff, very useful information contained in the guide. On one hand, I felt like it was too simple, too basic--but on the other hand, that's kinda the idea of minimalism. It's not something that can happen overnight, nor should it. I was shocked to find within the pages of this guide that I've already taken some of the recommended steps. We host a lot of events at the house and I REFUSE to leave any dishes in the sink, and I refuse to leave "stuff" on the counter.

I stress, this is a guide. I read this cover to cover in two or three hours, and it wasn't too heavy to need time to chew on it. At the same time, it's a great starting point for somebody who is curious about this whole concept of minimalism...

5.0 out of 5 stars The Way to Enjoy & Sustain the Good Life!, March 19, 2011
Bill Baehr "whipperin1" (Partsunknown, Wyoming, USA) - See all my reviews
This book minimally lays down the minimalist approach to the maximum enjoyment of the good life. It's not the American good life (goof life) of consumerism; working like a damned fool to buy a bunch of crap. It's about having a good life. It's also cool to see no copyright and no disclaimer refuting the author's work like so many self-help/advice books do.

3.0 out of 5 stars Minimal is the word for this book, March 22, 2011
There is so little real material in this book, most of which is from his blogs, that it could have been a Kindle Single instead of a book. The information is interesting, and if you don't know anything about minimalism, it is useful. But there's not much meat here; I read the book cover to cover in an hour or less. I liked the book, but found it lacking in depth, it's little more than an introduction to the subject.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life
The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life by Leo Babauta (Paperback - October 26, 2009)
$9.95 $8.96