Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Simple Life Of Noah Dearborn
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon March 12, 2008
Noah Dearborn (Poitier) lives a simple life off the grid. He uses no electricity, even his car's an antique. The local people call him a "Carpenter God" and more than one local lady has fallen for his respectful grace.

But he's never been married. He only had a dog once. What means the most to Noah is his work and his land--and an out of town developer Christian Nelson (George Newbern) wants to buy the land to build a shopping center.

The offers start kind, $300, 350, 400--thousand dollars. Then, Nelson gets it in his head that anyone who won't sell their land to him is 'crazy'. That's when he calls in his girlfriend, Dr. Valerie Craine (Parker), a psychologist to assert just that so Nelson can get Noah committed and have the County seize his land.

Valerie quickly realizes that there's really nothing wrong with Noah. Noah's even managed to convince Nelson's company lawyer to give it all up to go to California and start a vineyard.

Unfortunately, Nelson is not going to be so easy to persuade. The conflict is inevitable, but the acting makes the whole story worth watching. The only reason this film got a 4 star rating is because of the rough cuts that brand it so obviously 'made for television' and distract the viewer at the critical moments.
44 comments|72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 25, 2005
Sidney Poitier, What else needs to be said. He has always been a class act and in this movie he reminds us of how important a stress free life is to our health. He has me wanting a life less complicated.
on May 4, 2001
When my Mom said she wanted to rent this movie, I cringed. But hours later when the movie was over, I was deeply moved and touched. Sidney and the entire cast brought to life an incredible story of love, loss, humanness, and ambition. I was very impressed. It's a feel good movie that brings tears and laughter. Good to watch on a day when it seems humanity doesn't have a soul.
on December 6, 2008
The greaceful prescence of Sidney Poitier makes this movie something to behold. Tom Shales of the Washington post in his rave review called it "more than a movie...it's poetry. When the movie was first aired on CBS, it surprised everyone by attracting 27,000,000 viewers on Sunday night. Diane Wiest was nominated for an Emmy Award and Mr. Poitier won Best Actor at the NAACP Image awards. Mary-Louise Parkers performace helps drive the story and she is Luminous. A feel good fable that has something to say about the encroachment of modern civilization into a mans life that is untouched in its simplicity...and the secret of his agelessness.
on August 21, 2009
I originally found this video on Netflix, and watched everything but it. I kind of assumed it would be a cheesy Lifetime-esque movie (don't get me wrong I love Lifetime, you just have to be in a certain mood). Anyway, I watched it and wow. It is a very well acted movie. This is my first time watching Sidney Poitier and he exceeded expectations. The movie is filmed in a beautiful location (and that's not because I'm from Georgia either)and has a wonderful message. I highly suggest watching it, you may even come to Amazon to buy it like I did!
on March 20, 2007
One of Sidney Poitier best performances. If you enjoyed Lillies of the Field you will like this one. In some ways it almost feels like a sequel to Lillies but it's not.
on January 27, 2000
This is a charming "feel good" movie with an enchanting performance by Sidney Poitier. The character, Mr. Dearborn is so endearing and truly magical you will be spellbound. Sidney Poitier has won both my heart and respect with this delightful piece of work.
on February 9, 2009
I loved this movie, it is a clean, wholesome, good movie! We need more movies like this one!

Noah is a wise and noble man, who is also a gifted carpenter, and a very hard worker! Noah is one of the lucky ones, he loves his work, and he has found his place in this world! He loves his home and land, and his very special, wonderful, simple life!

But greedy land developers try every trick in the book to take Noah's land away from him, to build another stupid mall! But Noah ,ends up teaching all of them a thing or two! This is a heartwarming movie ,and I highly recommend it! And I just loved that little puppy in the movie, and Noah's old timey, beautiful farm!
THE SIMPLE LIFE OF NOAH DEARBORN (1999, Hallmark Pictures, 120 minutes) stars the immortal Sidney Poitier as Noah Dearborn, a 91-year-old marvel who farms his 35 acres and keeps to himself. When a greedy development eyeballs his land as part of the future shopping mall, things begin to get out of hand.

What I found so compelling is the story of this man, who would have been born just after 1900. He is black and naturally I suppose one can imagine the hardships of his whole life. What strikes me about the way this character was written is Noah can't physically touch those about whom he cares most. This is of course a psychological reaction to his profound family losses--he is the only one of his family surviving.

Poitier ranks highest among actors for all time. The way he uses his eyes in this film will surely move you to tears, the way Noah himself with his very silence seems to do so much good for other people. Not only was I touched deeply as a part-black man (my father was black and born in 1911), but I can readily identify with Noah's inability to touch others. Even my father had that problem, and Poitier's Noah reminded me of my father in so many ways.

A young psychologist befriends Noah and even manages to save the day when things get ugly. I loved Poitier's work here--but then I will always watch anything with him in it. The Last Brickmaker in America is another excellent example of Poitier's latter-day genius-level works. It reminds one of the stars of the past and how they are actually still with us, always. This is a very easy-going, compelling Hallmark Film that is unusual for that. It makes me wonder if this is originally a Hallmark movie production.

I suggest you get this film because it is of far more importance to black history than you might think, and it is always a gift from heaven to see Sydney Poitier at work!
on January 27, 2012
Since I had a small role in this film I will comment as to what a good family film this is and what a super nice and down to earth person Sidney Poitier is. His performance in Noah Dearborn is very moving and real and while the supportig cast is wooden and could be interchangeable with anyone and the story is thin but pleasent, overall a good watching experience.
Oh I was one of the Deputies that arrests him and later when Sidney knocks out a construction worker I am standing over his right shoulder as he delivers the best line of the film! I will never forget my three days on the set with Sidney and what he taught me about acting. He is one of the best ever on every level! Thanks again Sidney for what you told me.