5.0 out of 5 stars best simpsons in a while
Don't believe all the negative reviews. I was also dissapointed that there was no commentary, but the work itself is strong. I have all the seasons available on disc, and this is one of the better ones, And the packaging was the best one yet! Don't be scared off by people unhappy that there were no extras!
Published 18 months ago by bookworm

1.0 out of 5 stars Boycott this Baloney!
DO NOT PURCHASE THIS 'COMPLETE' SET!

Published on January 12, 2010 by Jacob Lennington

1.0 out of 5 stars Boycott this Baloney!, January 12, 2010
This review is from: The Simpsons: Season 20 (DVD)
DO NOT PURCHASE THIS 'COMPLETE' SET!

Fox is screwing it's fanbase over with this BS "Complete Season 20" set. If you're in the USA, the only real preview is of the "Simpsons 20th Anniversery Special" that aired two days BEFORE the set was actually released! Furthermore, there are no commentaries, no deleted scenes, or any other bonus material that graced the previous DVD sets. Also, IMO, this set uses the silly cardboard accordian design which makes taking out the discs a chore.

--And it's still priced as much as the other DVD sets when they were released. To quote Edna: "HA!"

Whether or not you feel the Simpsons is as good as it used to be, this set is a sham. For a set that supposed to ring in two decades of one of the greatest comedies of all time, you'd think someone other than the potential buyers might have cared, and if you're buying this as a gift, RESIST! The more people who close their wallets to this will mean a faster release of the real Season 20 set and hopefully an 'extended cut' of the Anniversery Special.

Jake

1.0 out of 5 stars 20th Season should be EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA AWESOME, right?, January 12, 2010
M. Larsen (BFE, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Simpsons: Season 20 (DVD)
Luckily, I didn't pre-order this season like I did on seasons 1-12. Why? I didn't even know it was being released. But when a friend found out, he got it immediately. We both figured that Season 20 would be extra extra extra packed with awesome extras - like maybe the Tracy Ullman shorts like we thought we were going to get with Season 1. Maybe it would be extra packed with documentaries (including the one we just saw on TV a few days ago). Maybe it would have all of the news clips throughout the years showing the slow acceptance of society (they went from BAD for the family to a Great example of a good family). Maybe it would have lots of behind the scenes footage of some of the stars over the years? Maybe...

Then our dreams were shattered. We opened the package and put it in the DVD player. First, it has the same awful disc-scratching packaging as seasons 11 and 12. Second, it had ZERO (1-12 had lots) extras. And no, I don't count the teaser clip of the 20th anniversary special a feature. Third, it was obviously rushed to market to capitalize on the 20th anniversary documentary.

I will not be buying *THIS* version of Season 20. I will continue to buy 13-20 in the order they are released. I'm 100% positive they will re-release this with a ton of extras when they do it in the proper order. If all future releases are as shoddy and light on extras as this one, I won't be buying any more. :(

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as the others, January 12, 2010
This review is from: The Simpsons: Season 20 (DVD)
I just bought this today just because I love the Simpsons; And to be honest this set sucks! Sure they start getting better this season but this set sucks because there are no special features. There isn't even a greeting from Matt Groening like the previous sets. Honestly this is not the kind of thing we expect from the crew that works on these sets but maybe they were just rushed into doing a crappy release for the 20th season. In that case it still sucks because this is the season they should have celebrated the most with. They should of had so many special features and Easter eggs that you would get tired of looking for them after a while. This is the first Simpson set that I give a bad review to for the simple reason that there is no special features, commentary, or any other great thing like the first sets had. The only good thing about this series is that the episodes start to get good again.
JD

1.0 out of 5 stars Cash Grab Betrayal, January 12, 2010
No matter what your opinion of the various seasons of The Simpsons, you could count on a lovingly constructed DVD release full of special features, particularly audio commentaries for each episode. In skipping many seasons ahead to coincide with various Simpsons 20th Anniversary events it appears FOX (who knows who all was involved with this decision) all that goodwill has been erased with these barebones releases. The only "special feature" is an abbreviated preview of the just-aired 20th Anniversary Special. No commentaries, no animatics, no nuthin'. While the DVD version still has a full booklet with episode summaries, the Blu-ray has a tiny insert that lists only the titles. Neither has the customary Groening welcome letter. This is a blatant cash grab, I guess we're expected to double-dip once the older seasons are finally released? I am ashamed to have purchased these releases, and the long-running staff of The Simpsons should be likewise embarrassed to have these releases sit alongside more than a decade of hilarious, feature-packed DVD sets that came before.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., January 12, 2010
Henry (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
I have always liked the Simpsons box sets. The best parts are the special features, the commentaries and the booklet with information about the episodes and such. This had none of those. Its basically just the show on a disc. If that's all you want than great but until now they have all had extras, what happened? Also, because its BD I expected the entire season to be the new high definition stuff, its not. They switched to the HD mid-season. That part is not really their fault, that's when they made the switch but the lack of features, commentaries or quality packaging is completely their fault. I can see them re-releasing this one because this is just bad and the fans are not going to take it. The problem is now I am stuck with this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Worst Box Set Ever, January 13, 2010
I've pruchased all previous box sets. I've grown accustomed to the commentary tracks. In fact, they were the first thing I listened to. The lack of them is clearly a FOX decision because the chose to jump ahead to season 20 ASAP and didn't leave Matt & crew time to create commentary tracks. They may have got my cash but hopefully they won't get yours if you are looking for extras. If FOX decides to continue this approach, I won't purchase more DVDs. Oh well, I can always watch them in syndication.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame on you FOX, January 12, 2010
B. Harmon (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Simpsons: Season 20 (DVD)
Quickly thrown together to cash in on the 20th Anniversary, this "collector's edition" is a real shame. No extras, just the episodes. Thanks but no thanks, Fox.

1.0 out of 5 stars NO EXTRA'S!?, January 15, 2010
This review is from: The Simpsons: Season 20 (DVD)
This not a review of the show, this a review of the product. I love the program. I have all the previous seasons on DVD that have been released so far, and was really looking forward to this one. However, I foolishly didn't read the reviews on it before I had purchased it. If I had, it would have saved me the trip to the post office to return it. AS others have stated, THERE ARE NO EXTRA'S! NO COMMENTARIES, NO DELETED SCENES, NO REASON TO OWN IT! All of the episodes are available to watch/download somewhere online, so why pay $35 for this? I would understand if they didn't have time to do commentary on all the episodes (though I do enjoy them), but to not include any special features is just lame. Please, don't buy this. This mediocrity is inexcusable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely horrible set, January 19, 2010
This review is from: The Simpsons: Season 20 (DVD)
Ok, for starters, it's stupid and ridiculous that they put out the 20th season before 13-19. But I knew that when I chose to buy it. Now, each and every season of the Simpsons on DVD has been great so far. Full-length commentary on every episode, deleted scenes for most episodes, an introduction by Matt Groening, easter eggs throughout the menu, awesome boxes for seasons 6-12, and other special features.

Now, I've only put in the first disk, and watched the first 3 episodes. And wow, what absolute crap in comparison. No commentaries, no introduction, no deleted scenes, crappy menus, boring box, and according to the box, just 1 special feature, a "preview" of the 20th anniversary special.

Seriously, what is this?? If anything I was expecting this set to be superior to the others, being the big 2-0 and all. Waste of money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Capitalism 101 - stop encouraging bad behavior don't buy this, January 12, 2010
Panaracer (Horseheads, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Simpsons: Season 20 (DVD)
After two DVDs (Seasons 11 & 12) with really stupid packaging and tons of complaints, what do they do? Release another one with even less content.

I have two sets of scratched discs and I'm not buying another one after seeing this one. All scratched from the factory then put into PLASTIC cases to protect what's left. Paper is a stupid medium to hold CDs, DVDs, or Blu-Rays as they scratch the discs, dosesn't protect the discs,nor has durability. The accordian-style package is beyond stupidity, all under the guise of eco-friendly. These aren't eco-friendly, they aren't even recycleable. Who throws away their packaging any way, it is designed to protect the discs not speed them to the landfill. If Fox had any brains, they would have used recycled plastic to make hard Amaray cases that protect the stinkin' discs. Talk about planned obsolescence.

Then there's the content. Nothing extras, but the epsiodes from Hulu. For $40? You gotta be kidding?

No wonder people pirate and download. At least their downloads aren't pre-scratched by some self-rightious idiots who think they saving the planet by forcing crap on their customers and it is not even recyclable after all this nonsense. Capitalism 101. Stop feeding the animals. No sale.

The Simpsons: Season 20
The Simpsons: Season 20 by Dan Castellaneta (DVD - 2010)
$49.98 $22.93