5.0 out of 5 stars It's Season Six, it's Great!
Published on August 3, 2007 by W. Evenson

2.0 out of 5 stars Episodes - "A+" .... Packaging - "F"
If it weren't for the episodes I'd be giving this a 1 star rating. But I can't bring myself to do that because this was one of the best years of the show IMO. But this plastic Homer head that falls apart once you touch it was a bad idea. And calling people anal retentive just because they want something sturdy that will protect their DVDs is really out of line...
Published on August 17, 2005 by Simpsons Addict

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Season Six, it's Great!, August 3, 2007
This review is from: The Simpsons: Season 6 (DVD)
The other reviewers are upset about how Fox handled releasing this box set in this format. I don't think this is the place to strike out at Fox about that. I read these reviews to find out if I want to buy the item. This box set has the same content as the Homer head, but you don't have to buy the Homer head. Sounds like a good deal to me! I'm sorry for those who bought theirs early, but that doesn't make this a one-star item, by any stretch of the imagination. The Simpsons DVD sets are consistently high quality items, jam-packed with extras, commentaries, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best seasons!, August 7, 2007
This review is from: The Simpsons: Season 6 (DVD)
This is one of the top three seasons (in my opinion) presented in an equally impressive DVD set! This set features cast & creator commentary on absolutely every episode! Also included for every episode are deleted scenes.

Some of my absolute favorite episodes are included on this set.

'Itchy & Scratchy Land' - The Simpson family takes a vacation to Itchy & Scratchy Land. When the robotic Itchys and Scratchys go haywire, the Simpsons must find a way to escape the island.

'Treehouse of Horror V' - features The Shinning (Often referred to as the best Treehouse segment ever), Time and Punishment (where Homer skips through time via toaster) & Nightmare Cafeteria (Principal Skinner finds a solution to his overcrowding problem and the quality of meat in the cafeteria: eating the students. My Personal favorite segment.)

'Bart's Girlfriend' - Reverend Lovejoy's daughter, Jessica (played by Meryl Streep) inspires Bart to act out in an even more rebellious way than usual. Jessica steals the church's collection plate, placing the blame on Bart. It's up to Lisa to reveal the truth.

'Homer the Great' - Homer joins the secrete society know as the Stonecutters. When it's revealed that Homer has a birthmark the shape of the Stonecutter logo he is named the chosen one.

'Lisa's Wedding' - Lisa meets a mysterious fortune teller who reveals what the future holds for her.

'Two Dozen and One Greyhounds' - Santa's Little Helper falls in love with another Greyhound and the two have 25 puppies. The Simpsons are overwhelmed by the litter and decide to give them away, but before they can Mr. Burns kidnaps the puppies in an attempt to make a greyhound skin tuxedo.

'The PTA Disbands' - Bart pushes the teachers to strike. Local Springfieldians take over the teaching positions, so Bart must find a way to fix things between the teachers and Principal Skinner.

'Lemon of Troy' - The kids of Shelbyville steal the Springfield lemon tree. Bart leads the pack to retrieve the tree from Shelbyville along with the help of Homer and Ned.

'Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Part One)' - The infamous season cliffhanger. So who shot Mr. Burns?

These are just some of the great episodes. 25 episodes in all!

4.0 out of 5 stars On the box art, August 5, 2005
This review is from: The Simpsons: Season 6 (DVD)
I work in a music store and had the package in my hands tonight. The case is made of cheap, *cheap* plastic, hinged at the bottom in a clamshell design, and held together with nothing more than tape, which means that shoplifting of the DVDs is going to be a major concern with retailers. The head is covered in a plastic slipcase that mimics the previous seasons' design on the side. The slipcase doesn't fit very well, and doesn't improve the look of the case at all.

There is NO second box inside. However-- here's the good news. There is a card inside the box with a phone number you can call to get a regular box for the discs-- this is probably where the "Green box" pictures have come from. The clamshell won't last very long-- the plastic isn't sturdy enough-- so I suspect many, *many* people will be taking advantage of this offer sooner or later.

Worst. Packaging. Ever. But at least we can send off for a real box. Hopefully they won't repeat this nonsense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shame for some, perfect timing for me!, August 5, 2007
This review is from: The Simpsons: Season 6 (DVD)
I understand why people are pissed and they probably have a right to be. But why give this DVD set a one star rating? Because you're mad? As the other reviewer said this is not the place to lash out at Fox. This is a five star DVD set on all accounts. Would you rather just never have this official box set available? At least they heard the voice of the public and tried to solve the problem, that's more than most companies would do. Better late than never. If you don't like your Homer head then sell it on eBay and buy the promo/w t-shirt at Wal-Mart while you still can for only $21 bucks! If it means that much to you to have matching set just pay the $21. God knows you got your $35 bucks worth of viewing pleasure over this two year period.

(To those confused about the debacle I'm referring to, let me explain. The first release of this DVD set was packaged in a plastic container of Homer's head. The problem with this is that it looks very out of place on a shelf with the previous card box sets. And for anal retentive people like myself that's a big no-no. So up until this last month it was the only option other than the one Fox gave to fans so they could send in for a mail-in replacement case that fits the format of the earlier season releases. Many fans had issues receiving this replacement. But now since this new official box-set has been released those people are upset. Thus all the one-star reviews. However, I assure you this is a five-star DVD set.)

2.0 out of 5 stars Episodes - "A+" .... Packaging - "F", August 17, 2005
This review is from: The Simpsons: Season 6 (DVD)

Hey you Fox marketing "geniuses"... If you had limited this silly head design to a special collector's version and released the regular boxes to the masses in the first place, you could have saved yourselves (and us consumers - who pay your salaries, by the way) a lot of time, money and aggrivation. So drop the sarcastic attitude and just admit you made a mistake.

Save the gimmicky packages for action figures and sex toys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Additional Information., August 23, 2009
This review is from: The Simpsons: Season 6 (DVD)
This is NOT the Homer Head edition. Four disc set with all 25 episodes. Includes:
Special introduction from Matt Groening.
Audio commentaries on every episode with Matt and James L. Brroks, David Mirkin, Al Jean and Mike Reiss joined by writers, actors, and directors.
"Springfield's Most Wanted" TV special.
Insight from James L. Brooks.
The Simpson "Airplane" featurette.
"Who Shot Mr. Burns? suspect gallery.
Original sketches.
Multi-angle animation showcases.
Illustrated commentaries.
Deleted scenes.
Commercials.
Special language feature and more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Say it like Comic Book Guy: "Worst packaging, ever.", August 16, 2005
This review is from: The Simpsons: Season 6 (DVD)
Who could complain about The Simpsons sixth season finally being available on DVD? Me, a little bit. I must complain about the completely unnecessary packaging gimmick. Why do the fools marketing this stuff think that a holding-case in the shape of Homer's head is more likely to make me buy this DVD set over, say, a set with a case that conforms with all the previous seasons? I mean, really, why would I want to be able to put season six on the same shelf as the rest of my Simpsons DVD collections? I guess I'm just weird that way. Seriously, marketing geniuses, if I bought all the rest of the DVD sets, why wouldn't I buy this one too? And if I hadn't bought all the rest, do you really think a case shaped like Homer's head is going to make any difference? I guess it's my rant about what these marketing "creative" types refuse to believe: Familiarity is preferable to "New & Improved." Other than the case debacle though, the DVD set and all the extras are "Super Nintendo Chalmers."

5.0 out of 5 stars Who cares about packaging? As it turns out I do., August 17, 2005
This review is from: The Simpsons: Season 6 (DVD)
Who cares about packaging?!? As a Simpsons's lover, I do not need my cases to match! I have tapes upon tapes of recorded VHS of old Simpson's I recorded with meticulous care deleting commercials long before the advent of mass produced TV series'. I do not care that the 6th season deviates in design from the previous 5. OR DO I? I received the new season today and instantly hated the new design. In short it is a piece of cr@p which might easily be marketed by the genius' at Wal-Mart or any given "dollar" store. The packaging is cheesy and plastic. The whole schmel falls apart when you open to enjoy the pleasure which is the Simpson's. I for one am extremely dissapointed and will take advantage of the package offered by Fox. They knew their product was a piece before selling to eager consumers! Shame on them (haha)!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Packaging is ATROCIOUS but the episodes are FANTASTIC..., August 17, 2005
J. Fitzsimmons (Dutchess County, NY, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Simpsons: Season 6 (DVD)
As soon as I get the DVD, I place it up on my video shelf, and a few seconds later I hear a thud from the other room. The crappy DVD case fell off the shelf as it couldn't stay up and the case fell, one of the CDs fell out of their jewel case and got scratched a bit- GREAT JOB FOX!!!

But onto what is actually relevant...the episodes from this season are some of the best ever...this is about three years before the show stopped being funny or even remotely amusing (in my honest opinion), and the episodes from this season are great- "Bart of Darkness" is amusing in it's parody of 'Rear Window', "Itchy and Scratchy Land"' s biting commentary on amusement parks, the gang from Archie kicking Homer out of their gang in one of the funniest scenes in the series' history ("Sideshow Bob Roberts"), one of the best parodies in Simpsons Holloween history ('The Shining') ("Treehouse of Horror V")...I could go on and on, but that's just for Disc One!

In closing, the absolutely PITIFUL packaging is FAR, FAR outweighed by the incredible episodes...I will be paying a call to the toll free number to PAY for packaging that I should have begun with...oh well...BUY THIS DVD, and prepare to shell out more money for decent packaging, or do what I'm doing right now and put them in empty jewel cases...

5.0 out of 5 stars Simpsons Season 6, May 21, 2010
This review is from: The Simpsons: Season 6 (DVD)
The Simpsons Season 6 is one of the best seasons of The Simpsons. For anyone wondering, this is the regular box set version not the Homer head version. I really did not want to have to buy the Homer head version so I searched online for the regular box set version and found it on Amazon. Thank god for Amazon. Now I don't have to worry about getting the cheap Homer Head! Woo Hoo!

The Simpsons: Season 6
The Simpsons: Season 6 by Nancy Cartwright (DVD - 2012)
$26.98 $17.99