5.0 out of 5 stars Worked great
Published on June 25, 2011 by mjm

3.0 out of 5 stars Downloaded easy - CD Key was slight problem
I downloaded Sims 3.

It was my 1st time buying a game online off amazon to download.

I downloaded it and then it asked me for the CD-key/Activation Key.

I was not given it in an email so I was searching around my emails from amazon. Amazon should have given instructions to you on where to locate it at first.

I did manage to...
Published on September 21, 2011 by im

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked great, June 25, 2011
This review is from: The Sims 3 [Mac Download] (Software Download)
I have never reviewed an item on Amazon, but my experience was so different from the other two listed here that I had to put in my two cents. I've wanted the Sims 3 since it came out, but my old Mac's video card wasn't up to the job. As soon as my new Macbook Pro was up and running, I went looking for a copy I could download. Since these reviews scared me off Amazon a bit, I tried another site first, but it just sent me in circles and I never got the game. Finally, I decided that Amazon was my only choice for immediate download, and decided to risk it. And you know what? It worked perfectly. Absolutely perfectly. A 5GB game downloaded in 1.5 hours, it installed flawlessly, and I've been playing it ever since, like the good little Sims addict I am. FYI, I'm on a Macbook Pro, 2.3 GHz, 4GB of memory and an Intel 3000 video card.

As for the game itself, I find it a great jump up from Sims 2, though it's very similar. This one has fewer loading screens and the world is definitely a bit more detailed. I'm trying to resist buying all the expansion packs right away, but I somehow doubt I'll succeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I expected, and that's fine by me., September 6, 2011
This review is from: The Sims 3 [Mac Download] (Software Download)
The Sims 3 is exactly what I expected it to be, a childish but fun game involving an open world scenario where there is only an end goal if you want one. Graphics are fairly good for an older stylized game and the music is definitely better than expected.

There has been a lot of concern with this particular Mac download version of the game from Amazon, so I documented my experience below to hopefully give others a baseline to compare too.

INSTALL EXPERIENCE

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB
160 GB Intel SSD

Mac OS X Lion 10.7.1
---

Downloaded The Sims 3 for MAC from Amazon on September 6th, 2011. Download took about 1 hour and 30 minutes to complete.

The entire install process went through without a problem, the Amazon game downloading software unpackaged the .DMG automatically and all I had to do was double click the install icon.

Once I had entered my license number it then took about 1 minute to install the game. I then launched it from my Applications folder.

It started immediately and asked if I wanted to download the update that was released on September 1st, 2011: [...] which I did and the update download took about 10 minutes and it installed in another 5 minutes.

The game started itself and asked if I wanted to download and install another update, which I did. Downloaded in 20 seconds and installed in 30 seconds.

Finally the I was able to launch the game and it works spectacularly on my machine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Downloaded easy - CD Key was slight problem, September 21, 2011
I downloaded Sims 3.

It was my 1st time buying a game online off amazon to download.

I downloaded it and then it asked me for the CD-key/Activation Key.

I did manage to find the Activ./Key which would be in your account under your purchases for recent things or whatever and the cd-key will be in the description of your purchase history.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crashes, October 7, 2012
This review is from: The Sims 3 [Mac Download] (Software Download)
This is a piece of crap. The game doesn't even load. I am unable to do anything past creating my sims. This game is completely useless. Don't waste your money.

I contacted Amazon and let them know about the issue with the game not preforming like it should. They immediately (within one business day) refunded me, apologized, and were extremely helpful with customer service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Beautifully!, September 25, 2011
This review is from: The Sims 3 [Mac Download] (Software Download)
I wanted to come on here and write a review for the Sims 3 Mac Download solely because I took the risk and it worked out great. I was very nervous about downloading the game onto my new Macbook Air 11-inch (500gb hard drive, 4gb RAM) due to many of the reviews saying the game glitches and freezes.
I did have one issue, when first starting. My game froze after I did Create a Sim. This was BEFORE I downloaded the update, however. After I restarted my laptop, I launched the game again, downloaded the update (wirelessly, took about 30 minutes) and installed it, and the game worked perfectly and has been since.
I would definitely recommend this download to anyone interested in the Sims who doesn't (like myself on a Macbook Air) have a disc drive, or if you're just looking to download and play the game quickly. I let the file download (via WiFi) overnight, so I can't say exactly how long it took, however it was a good chunk of time. I would recommend plugging into Ethernet if you can. Other than long download time, this game is FANTASTIC. Must have!

1.0 out of 5 stars This game does NOT work on a Mac, February 20, 2013
D. Lam (Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sims 3 [Mac Download] (Software Download)
I wish I could give this game zero stars. I downloaded this and Sims supernatural. The Supernatural version said I needed to update my version, so after researching, I found other people having problems with the launcher not updating the base game. The EA web site directs you to a "super patcher" to update the game manually, but all the links are broken. Several calls to EA later my problem was not fixed and they never addressed the broken links on their own site. Amazon developers contacted EA and got a different story, with a potential workaround which did not work either. After much jumping through hoops, I had to (strongly) request a refund.

I intend to stay away from all EA Mac downloads. I've downloaded other games from Amazon without issue.

3.0 out of 5 stars Product Review, March 1, 2013
This review is from: The Sims 3 [Mac Download] (Software Download)
Okay, this product is okay. I downloaded it perfectly fine. But when I go to play it glitches out. It wasn't really expensive, and the game still runs but it could use some fixing...

1.0 out of 5 stars Unable to get it to install, December 2, 2012
This review is from: The Sims 3 [Mac Download] (Software Download)
The game simply would not install, I could download it many times but with the same result. Very disappointed in this product. EA wouldn't respond to my complaint either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Being Able to Download this Game from the Internet is a Huge Plus, March 9, 2013
This review is from: The Sims 3 [Mac Download] (Software Download)
I bought this product after switching computers and losing my registration code for my old copy. I love that I was able to download this game right off of the internet, as opposed to using a disk. Now I know that I will never have this registration code problem again, because Amazon keeps that information for me, just in case.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have Lion and it works like a charm, May 24, 2012
This review is from: The Sims 3 [Mac Download] (Software Download)
So after reading through almost every negative review on this page I was hesitant to download this game to my mac. I'm using a Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 and I have to say everything is working smoothly. I had this game on my PC but decided to re-download a copy on my macbook pro. I even downloaded The Sims 3 Generations expansion pack right after I bought this base game and I've been playing without any problems for a few days now.