Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Video Game|Change

VINE VOICEon March 11, 2013
I think of all the Sims 3 expansions, this is the one audiences have been most aggressively excited for. After all, EA promised weather from the get go and instead it's been years and years of endless sunshine. Essentially 100% of the game revolves around the very concept of weather. You now have four seasons, which you can turn 'on' or 'off' and set the length of. Each day a new forecast will pop up that will impact whether your Sim dons their new outerwear (the primary focus of all new hair / clothing), how long they can spend outdoors comfortably, and whether you're able to garden (one pain point: for the bulk of 3 seasons of the year your previously flourishing gardens will remain dormant). The new animation for the various seasons is lovely, in particular when your town is completely covered in snow and holiday lights are hung, it gives the game a new festive feeling.

Beyond the actual weather, the biggest focus of this game is the new festival grounds that are in place in every community. The grounds change theme every season, with different activities both on-site and at home. In the Fall, pick pumpkins and carve them up for your front deck as a festive touch for 'Spooky Day' (when kids and teens can don a costume and go trick-or-treating), plus visit a haunted house and bob for apples. In the Winter, go snowboarding or ice skating, build snowmen, have a snowball fight, or build an igloo. In the Spring (the weakest link), visit the kissing booth, collect Easter Eggs, pluck flowers, and er...that's really all that's special. And in the Summer, go rollerskating (also available in other seasons), play soccer, have water balloon fights, get a spray tan, enter eating contests, or go for a dip in the ocean. Participating in activities on the festival site allows you to earn and redeem tickets for prizes (which you can also buy) themed to the season - like an umbrella, fireworks, or a pool floatie. Your sims also get one bonus day off during each season (another paint point if you choose to make one season particularly short is the frequency of these days, particularly if you're trying to get a job promotion) to allow you to partake in everything the holiday has to offer.

Truth be told, there really isn't a whole lot beyond the weather and the festival grounds / activities you can do at home. There are some new parties - a 'Feast' mimicks Thanksgiving, 'Costume Parties' are perfect for Halloween, 'Pool Parties' are a touch different than a regular party in swimwear, and 'Gift-Giving' is a fun spin on Christmas. Aliens are back, however sporadically, to wreak some havoc on your male sims' reproductive systems. But there are no new jobs, no new skills (aside from gaining 'invisible' skill at things like roller and ice skating, and snowboarding), and not even a new town. To me, those are game-changing requirements that should be present in every expansion pack. Seasons simply adds something that looks pretty and gives your sims a few more activities they can try out...so in that sense, I'm disappointed. I really feel like they could have pushed the Seasons theme to interact better with bigger goals of the game, other than to just 'have fun' - like how about a meteorologist career that could have tied into the Business / Journalism rabbit hole?

In terms of new objects, most of what's on the festival lots is available for purchase at home - including soccer nets, a tanning booth, and even the snowboard half-pipe, roller rink, and ice rink. The themeing of the other new objects ties in nicely with the previous expansion, Supernatural, in that it's more of a sort of nature-y theme - lots of gnarled wood and glass for a modern rustic look. As mentioned, clothing / hair is nearly 100% focused to the weather, and thankfully spans all generations. Really, the major factor for deciding on whether this game is for you is simple: do you care about the weather? If not, skip it.
on December 29, 2012
To start off, I love the Sims. I have been playing since Sims 1 and have never really had many problems with them. I have a new iMac, with all the correct specs needed. Yet, this EP is the *worst*. I can literally not make a new sim. Every time I go to make a new sim/family, the graphics go all wonky and it freezes. When I play a family I already made, it's okay, but STILL. To not be able to add *anything* to a game? That seems a bit ridiculous. I didn't have many of the problems from the previous EPs, but it finally caught up to me. I am really hoping they fix this soon because I would love to play a game I have put a lot of $$ into!

Update: I tried a trick of putting the graphics options on low/medium. It actually worked enough to get me to create a new sim. I have only tried it once however. It sucks I have to do this for a game, but hopefully it will be fixed soon..
on January 26, 2013
I have been playing Sims on a Mac for over 10 years and have spent a huge amount of money on The Sims franchise. I have bought ALL EPs and stuff packs for The Sims, The Sims 2 and The Sims 3. When Maxis was writing the game they did write it for Mac and although we had to wait for a few months after the release on PC, the game did generally work quite well. When EA took over the franchise, we Mac players could buy the games and EPs at the same release date as those playing on PC.
This was wonderful until we found out that EA did not bother to write the game for Mac.
They simply employed another company to wrap the game in something called 'Cider' which tries to translate the PC game for the Mac OS.
Cider does not work very well at all.
The secondary company that EA uses are supposed to make sure that the game works for the Mac gamers , but they do a very poor job, and EA do not seem to care very much that the games do not play well on Macs anymore.
The Sims 2 was very buggy and difficult to keep running well but with a lot of very clever Mac genius people working at the game and posting their fixes on Mac forums across the Sims community, we were all able to keep our games running.
However with The Sims 3 things have become worse and worse.
The Base game works okay but with each new EP the game has become more and more unstable.
All of the EPs are fantastic and I really love everything that each EP brings to the game, but I don't like the horrible problems that come too.
The 'Pets' EP was one of the most fun and brought rideable horses into the game but also changed the way that everything inter-acted and all the Custom Content had to be re-written for this EP, which was a huge job for everyone concerned.
For me it was the beginning of the end of my game.
No one knows where the game breaking problems started but I think it was with this EP.
Cas began to play up after this and it became really difficult to make any Sim families, and very difficult to make an animal at all.
Also I began to get a lot of error messages and the game crashing to the desktop.
This was about three years ago now and it has never been fixed and only got worse with each EP.
I and many other Mac players have tried and tried to get EA customer services to help with our problems but all to no avail.
Most of us are so angry about the lack of help, but that is another story.
Seasons is the 8th EP and is the one that most of us were really looking forward to. I bought it the day it came out. Sow, snowball fights, christmas trees and christmas lights, pumpkin carving, trick or treating, easter egg hunts, swimming in the sea. All so exciting and fun.
It has completely broken my, and many others, game.
I cannot play at all.
I can only be in the game environment for 2/5 minutes before the game crashes.
I can't make any Sims at all.
There are hundreds of Mac players who can no longer play their games at all.
I would advise anyone thinking of buying this EP to keep checking on Sims3 Mac Forums to see if a fix for the game from EA ever materialises before buying or you probably will not be able to play your game anymore.
on December 24, 2012
I have to say considering how excited I was about this expansion pack, it has been a bit of a dud (my three stars have a serious caveat.) It is in dire need of an update from EA. When I first installed it (and I have a litany of other expansion packs installed as well), the problems were immediate. I couldn't play more than a few minutes at a time without a crash. And my iMac is most certainly not the problem. This is a computer that runs Final Cut Pro without a glitch. Tons of RAM. FINALLY .... last night I uninstalled Seasons, reinstalled it, started playing with a game I created previously after installing Supernatural and when prompted to place the Festival and other in-game features, I opted out. Since then I have had no problems when playing games I had previously been playing. I think the issue here may be the new features like the Festival. And I am running custom content and items from the Exchange. Now without any glitches. I haven't even tried to play the game I set up after installing Seasons.... It's not worth the trouble. So... basically it's a great expansion pack as long as you are willing to forego many of the cool items included in it. Yeah. EA needs to hurry up with a patch. STAT.
on January 23, 2016
One of my favorite expansions for the sims 3. This pack brings the changing seasons to your game. Summer, Autumn, winter, and spring. And there are activities to go along with each of these seasons. Like gift giving, summer festival with pie eating contest, ice skating in winter and making igloo and snow angels, playing in the beautiful colored leaves in fall with abilities the decorate with scarecrows, and so much more. And you can set these seasons from three Sims days to 28 days.Also includes winter clothes, and umbrellas and Sun parasol.
on December 29, 2013
I haven't played around much, but, I already LOVE it. It doesn't come with much as far as the CAS department goes, but it's richness in gameplay makes up for that. The aliens are an amazing touch, also. There is so much to do that it's practically impossible to explore in one sitting, so I can't really say much as I only received it yesterday, but I highly recommend it. Also, the snow is gorgeous.
on October 31, 2013
I realize they are proud of their work, but does it have to rain EVERY DAY??? In the 14-day fall and spring seasons, it rains every day. During the winter, it snows, and the summertime, well, the only time it doesn't rain is when it hails. The only way to have a clear day is to shut the weather down. Not worth it.
on November 14, 2012
What really impressed me about this game is the weather channel, I clicked on the tv to find out the weather forecast, and the graphics was just amazing because its so realistic, you can actually see the forecast for the next five days, I loved the sims 2 seasons but this expansion is a lot more fun and realistic.
on December 7, 2015
This is my favorite expansion for The Sims 3. I have been playing The Sims since the beginning and this one is the best. Maybe it's because I really like weather, but it's so cool watching your sims adjust to the temperature and seasonal change. Also, there's fun little fairs you can go to every season and new activities. It's really fun. Buy it.
on January 15, 2016
Seasons adds variety to the look and atmosphere of your Sims' towns, while also giving you some new outdoor activities for your Sims to enjoy. I highly recommend the expansion to any Sims fan because weather makes the Sims' lives more realistic and immersive. This expansion is also lot less buggy than Pets, which is great, although there are still a few clunky actions. Activities such as trick-or-treating or trying to eat while holding an umbrella aren't seamless.