5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the Future meets the Sims
Please note that this is an expansion pack for the Sims 3. You will need to have the Sims 3 game already installed on your computer in order to run this expansion pack.

Published 11 months ago by Angela Streiff

For the most part the game play was smooth and enjoyable, as well as entertaining, and the advanced technology, such as the floating computers, was a nice touch.
However, the low number of jobs/careers was disappointing, as well as the fact that there is really not much for teenagers to do.
In fact, at least in my and my granddaughter's Oasis, there weren't...
Published 9 months ago by JD Hunt

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the Future meets the Sims, October 22, 2013
This review is from: The Sims 3 Into the Future - PC/Mac (Video Game)

The Sims 3: Into the Future reminds me of the 1980's film back to the future. Where Marty Mcfly is going about his everyday life, and one day the Doc shows up with a Delorean sporting a flux capacitor, telling him about how he can travel through time. You start out by selecting any one of your Sims families in any of the cities/towns in your game, and resuming where you left off (or you can create a new family). Once your game starts, a portal comes out of nowhere and a Sim NPC emerges from it, and tells you he's from the future and he's trying to get back. If you help him repair his portal, you can use it to travel through time as well.

After completing a small mission, the portal is now open for you to enter and travel to Oasis Landing. You can go by yourself or have other sims come along with you. This works similarly to the World Adventures locations, where you start from home and travel to your destination.

Using a new item in your inventory called the Almanac of Time, you can choose from one of three futures to visit. One by default is unlocked and you can come and go from there as you please. This location is called the Normal Future. The two other futuristic outcomes you can visit are the Dystopian Future, a desolate and dangerous place to travel to, or the Utopia Future, and lush and lavish version of the future. To visit these futures, you need to complete objectives in your home city that will cause a change of events in your own time, thus changing what the outcome is in the future.

When you do visit the future, you'll find it's very different from any of the other Sims locations. There are hover cars, a monorail system that travels around the city, hovering in the air, robot NPCs, and many things are now holographic. Instead of billboards, TVs and computers, these are now all holographic projections into the air that you can watch and interact with.

You can strap a jetpack onto your back and it will fly you from lot to lot. Or if you're bored, your sim can fly around the lot their visiting on. But you'll find that sims new to jetpacks can get motion sick quite easily, so take your time with it when you're first starting out with it. Speaking of sickness, when you use the time travel machine your sim will sometimes suffer from Paradox Sickness, which can be fatal if you don't get him/her to the hospital for a short treatment.

While trying out all these new fun objects in the future your sim will learn a new skill, Advanced Technology. Even taking a shower with a futuristic shower requires this skill, or else your sim will find themselves falling all over the place.

While in the future, you can even look up your sims descendants and go to meet them. Depending on the relationships your sims have in the past, this can change the shape of the future. You can have different sims marry or break up and you can alter the future family descendants.

There's a bunch of new clothing and wild futuristic hair styles added to the catalog for your sims to try out, and builders will love all the new objects for designing sims houses. Digital pets, hover boards, huge magnets you use to pull meteors from the sky, portal elevators and so much more is all included in this pack. As soon as you land in the future you will find yourself trying to learn how to use all kinds of new objects and learning new skills. This expansion pack is a must get for Sims 3 fans!

3.0 out of 5 stars SIMS 3 Into the Future was fun, interesting, and entertaining, but had some major detractors in my opinion., November 30, 2013
This review is from: The Sims 3 Into the Future - PC/Mac (Video Game)
In fact, at least in my and my granddaughter's Oasis, there weren't a lot of SIM teenagers for ours to interact with, though it was a little disturbing the number of young adults interested in the teens. That also includes the fact that there weren't even schools for them to attend, leaving one to believe that there's other ways to educate them. There is also a lack of part-time jobs for the teenagers as well.
Additionally, not all of your SIMS' skills/abilities function in the future, such as scuba diving and Driver's Ed, even though the gameplay give you the wish-option of teaching someone to teach someone to drive.
The other big drawback was the fact that if your SIM jump to the future, and had children, those kids are unable to return with their parents when they return to the present. As an example, my SIMS had a set of twins before arriving in Oasis, and had three more while there. When they returned to the present, were left behind, all five time I made the attempt.
As I said, overall, it was enjoyable, but can only give it an average rating.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea...poorly executed, July 6, 2014
pjchik "jeopardyfreak69" (New Haven, Kentucky United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sims 3 Into the Future - PC/Mac (Video Game)
I got this expansion as an anniversary present. My poor husband now regrets that decision. Let me soften the blow that's to come by mentioning things I did like about it.

I quite like the new, interactive loading screen. It's less boring, plus you gain Lifetime Happiness points. Not a bad deal. However, this comes with a price. Many times, I've racked up over a thousand LH points, only to have the game freeze. It doesn't crash, but I can go off and do other things and when I return it's at the same spot. Sigh.

I love all the "Doctor Who" references. I especially like the Tardisian Sonic Shower. For anyone who's been playing the Sims 3 since the beginning, you know how stupidly long it takes Sims to shower/bathe. This takes the time down.

I really wanted to like the future setting, but there's only so much you can do with it. After awhile, it just gets boring. It's almost like a checklist. Okay, I met my descendants, I unlocked the alien crash site, I did all of Emit's stupid opportunities, I found out the lotto numbers, etc. Seriously, after you play around with the different future settings, it just becomes dull. This is disappointing as the idea behind this expansion was creative and something we hadn't seen in the previous versions.

As for general gameplay...this is where the expansion really lost points with me. I have a monster gaming PC. With previous expansions, everything was *mostly* okay, except for random glitches. This one? I often have to walk away and cool down. There's a memory leak for starters. Yeah, it might be slow, but it's there. Saving can be a hassle. To fix that, once I notice that saving is taking forever, I'll "Save As..." under a different name. But that shouldn't be the case. I play the Sims (or *try* to) to relax, not to add problems/stress to my real life. The new loading screen is cool, when it works. More often than not, the game is loading just fine and then stops. The music stops and I'm stuck waiting for it. And generally I have to manually stop the game.
Besides these problems, when I actually *do* get to play, there are times when it seems my Sims are going slower than normal. We all know that Sims are slow creatures by nature, but in this expansion, they seemed to have reached "sloth" level. Also, they seem to forget what's going on...and mind you, these aren't absent-minded Sims..just regular ones. Then I have to deal with their emotions when they forget they were going to the bathroom and pee all over themselves. You get the idea.

So, overall, this was a great idea. I would give it more stars if it had been better executed.

3.0 out of 5 stars I suggest back to the future, not into the future, November 25, 2013
This review is from: The Sims 3 Into the Future - PC/Mac (Video Game)
meh. I'm not sure what to do with this expansion pack.. am i supposed to live in the future? or just open the uneventful spaceship with each Sim i have visit?... it has some glitches as well, when i return home sometimes half my family have disappeared. boo hoo..

definitely has some cool cars, flying accessories, a weird little fish that's like a furby that you have to feed or else it gets mad at you..
I'm not that into it..

One thing I do like, color fight and the new dip kiss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Expanision Pack Out!, November 14, 2013
Deedee "Deedee" (Paintsville, Kentucky) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sims 3 Into the Future - PC/Mac (Video Game)
I ordered this about a week ago, and the game is really awesome! The hair and clothes are really cool, plus I love the new hoover cars! This game is probably the best expanision pack they have made, other than Sims3 Paradise! I promise this one is a keeper!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointment, January 29, 2014
This review is from: The Sims 3 Into the Future - PC/Mac (Video Game)
I was exited to see all the new things that would be in this expansion pack, but when I finally got to play it I realized that the future was pretty much the same as the normal town. There are a few new skills but they aren't that interesting or entertaining. It's sad really how little effort EA is putting into their games now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Addition to Sims 3 Game, November 16, 2013
This review is from: The Sims 3 Into the Future - PC/Mac (Video Game)
I love this new expansion pack for Sims 3. All the additions are worth the money and a lot of fun. Traveling to the future is rather neat, but I especially love having all the futuristic objects around in the regular world. I give it only four stars because, as usual, this EP introduced new bugs and glitches that I then had to go out and find mods to correct.

5.0 out of 5 stars Into The Futuuurrreeee, November 25, 2013
Leah Nicole (Kansas City, KS) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sims 3 Into the Future - PC/Mac (Video Game)
Fun game. My husband bought this for me for my birthday!!!! And I LOVEEE IT! I love the whole plumbot concept, where your sim is allowed to create and program it's own robot. That's the most exciting thing to me about this game. Another cool thing is, once you buy a time traveler machine you're able to travel to a nice little futuristic town. I was a little disappointed because I was expecting a new futuristic world that was already in the future, instead of having to travel to the future. With that said, it's still incredibly fun. Another cool thing is the hairstyles and the outfits. There's a lot of extra cute clothing that I immediately fell in love with. There are also a few new character traits added, as well. I love this game. They were not stingy with the content on this expansion, there are a lot of new interesting and exciting objects. I think this one is my favorite, besides university. You can tell they really put a lot of thought and effort into this one. I am extremely impressed with "Into The Future", it is a nice little adventure. And definitely a nice get away whenever Christmas Break comes around & hopefully it will be snowing and I will be stuck at home, with my sims! lol….

Now, I play Sims on a Macbook pro. And for all you fellow mac users out there… Don't worry, this game isn't buggy at all. I have about 6 or 7 expansion packs including this one and I haven't had any problems. I can honestly say they have taken care of that mac customers, this time. If you are having any problems with your games freezing or acting buggy run without custom content and you shouldn't have a problem. A while ago I was so upset I couldn't even get past CAS mode but once I ran without custom content. I haven't had any issue or problem with any Sims 3 expansion since.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back 2 The Future-esque, October 29, 2013
This review is from: The Sims 3 Into the Future - PC/Mac (Video Game)
Okie dokie... This is sort of B2TF-ish but also not very to be honest. I basically don't go there in the game, it's boring to me. I bought this mainly for my cousin and she LOVES it! So I may not be the best judge -- HER rating is what I used, mine would have been closer to a three. Basically found it more annoying than not so I'll point out the things I did like. New Elevators are cool. They look kind of like the shuttle tubes for The Jetsons. I LOVE the jet-packs and hover boards, those are the coolest. Some nice stuff included, like the bookcase which is like four floors high and stuff like that. But apart from the "stuff" that came with it I'm not much impressed. Building bots, nanites, computer chips and the technology advancements don't much impress me PERSONALLY. However fans of the sci-fi genres will likely find much to appeal to their tastes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of new stuff, October 26, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Sims 3 Into the Future - PC/Mac (Video Game)
Great expansion pack. Love the Bot workshop, the numerous flying modes, the food synthesizer, more indoor water features, wall projector and other futuristic items.

The Sims 3 Into the Future - PC/Mac
The Sims 3 Into the Future - PC/Mac by Electronic Arts (Mac, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, Windows, Windows 7)
$19.99 $19.63