4.0 out of 5 stars Not 100% what I had hoped for; but pretty dang close.
I own every single Sims game, and had owned all of the Sim City series as well. With that said, let's move on to the review of EA's latest product, The Sims 3: World Adventures. I had high anticipation because I am used to the massive amounts of new things we got with the Sims 1 & Sims 2 expansions, which were offered at much lower costs. However, do not let this deter...
Published on November 18, 2009 by G. S. Davis

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY IT!
I just came online after angrily quitting the Sims 3: World Adventures. When I first bought the game it was a nice change to be able to go to different parts of the Sim world. It was a welcomed change. However, that was before I discovered all the glitches and bugs this expansion pack introduced to my Sims 3 game. I deeply regret buying it.

A few things that...
Published on December 6, 2009 by BlueMoon

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Unplayable: DO NOT Buy Until They Fix It, January 28, 2010
This review is from: The Sims 3: World Adventures Expansion Pack (DVD-ROM)
I want to kick myself for buying this expansion despite the fact that I saw a lot of complaints everywhere. I never thought that my top-of-the-line gaming rig would have any problems running it. And yet it does. Soon after installing World Adventures, I started getting errors when saving the game. I looked up the forums and followed the EA official line that if you use "Save As" or start a new game over, you won't encounter the save issue. Well, it worked but even with a fresh game, I was still getting intermittent save problems and issues with my game freezing that I finally decided to uninstall it completely.

It's been two months since WA was released and yet the problems remain. So my advice is, DO NOT buy the expansion until all the issues have been fixed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great explansion pack, but too many glitches., January 28, 2010
K. Jaros (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sims 3: World Adventures Expansion Pack (DVD-ROM)
This expansion pack is pricey, but it really turns The Sims 3 into a whole new game, so the price point is somewhat justified. I did not think I would had as much fun exploring tombs, caves, and basements. I am not an adventure game fan, but the seamless integration of an adventure game mode into the Sims game makes this a whole new type of adventure game. Unfortunately, the seamless integration is where this game is lacking. The longer you play, the more buggy it gets. I spent a cold Ohio weekend playing this game, and after many hours of play time, the game is increasingly unplayable. Saving the game no longer works in the hometown, the game locks up randomly, crashes to desktop, you name it. No it is not my computer, I have more than enough memory and processing power. And new games play perfectly - they break over time. It also takes an increasingly longer time to load & save. Some bugs are so obvious, you wonder why the game makers did not fix them before selling this game: the game sometimes selects a store clerk, who works 24/7 as your ranked martial arts partner (you cannot have matches with store clerks), the camp grounds in France have female bathrooms only (they put the wrong door on the men's room), sims sometimes get stuck (as if glued to the floor); they forget missions; and many other annoyances. If you buy World Adventures, be prepared to use the cheat (really debug) mode quite often when your sim gets stuck, trapped, or assigned a mission that cannot be completed (such as having to spar with a person who is a merchant). When you return from vacation, brace yourself for odd things happening, such as sims forgetting wishes, finding babies on your lot, sims that look identical to your own, etc.

Overal, World Adventures was a GREAT idea. I did have a lot of fun playing it and did get my money's worth. But the longer you play, the more complex the game gets. I like the complexity, but the game itself cannot handle it. EA is aware of these glitches, but appears to be more concerned pushing people to buy new furniture sets instead of fixing the game. So, if you buy this game, brace yourself for a lot of fun that will slowly turn into pain....

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this game yet!, December 4, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Sims 3: World Adventures Expansion Pack (DVD-ROM)
I bought this game the MINUTE it came out, and I had such fun!
Then, I tried to save.
Which was disappointing when I couldn't save. I hoped to wake up to a patch.
The next day, a patch came out for saving. "Cool!" I think.
Then everything went downhill...
Food spoils quickly, deeds cannot be collected on (I had a legacy family who's only means of support were their deeds), relationship bar was red, both ways - and ANY relationship status was blank! It was as if my Sims just appeared on earth with amnesia! If you go to their website and check out the forums, it seems like almost EVERYONE is having problems ranging from a slight hassle to downright unplayable. EA has NOT given us any information back when a new patch to fix their old patches would be out.
Sad though, it seemed like a ton of fun...

EDIT: EA finally fixed the bugs, and its pretty awesome to play! Just be warned; try not to purchase any new expansion pack until about two months after it's been out and after reading the forums on thesims3.com first.

4.0 out of 5 stars For better or for worse, it stays true to Sims 3 play, January 2, 2010
This review is from: The Sims 3: World Adventures Expansion Pack (DVD-ROM)
I hated The Sims 3 when I first played it. I was bitterly disappointed that the game was not a more perfected continuation of what Sims 2 had to offer. I actually switched back to playing Sims 2 for quite some time before I finally decided to reinstall Sims 3 and give it another shot.

In order to enjoy Sims 3, I had to really readjust my thinking and gaming style. In Sims 2, I loved the whole "linage" aspect of the game. 95% of my playing time was devoted to creating multi-generational families. You can't really do that so much with Sims 3. In many ways, it's not unlike the original Sims in that it really focuses on the story of ONE family rather than an entire neighborhood.

World Adventures furthers this emphasis. They weren't kidding when they say "adventures." It's not a vacation, it's not leisure time, it's stay-on-a-strict-schedule-so-you-can-get-everything-done adventures. The different travel locations are really designed for one sim to explore rather than a whole family.

With this expansion, I don't even bother creating families anymore. I just play with my one bachelor sim. Between nectar making, sim-fu, gardening and playing his guitar, I find that I have way more fun trying to max out all of his skills and getting higher visa levels than creating a nuclear family. I mean, what's the point of having kids if it will be such a drag trying to switch households once they grow up and move out?

On a more technical note, this expansion is slightly buggy even with all of the "patch" fixes. I haven't experienced any crashes as of yet but I have noticed minor things like lifetime rewards not working properly (i.e. I chose "pay no bills ever" and occasionally I am still asked to pay bills). It also does take a considerable amount of computer power to operate. So be warned if you were operating the base game on bare minimum specs; this expansion might do you in.

If you enjoyed or were even luke-warm about Sims 3, I would recommend this expansion. Unlike some, I was not crazy about the base game (see my review). But I have to say that this expansion added to my overall enjoyment of the game.

1.0 out of 5 stars Glitches leave game unplayable, June 26, 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Sims 3: World Adventures Expansion Pack (DVD-ROM)
I have been an avid and loyal Sims player since the first incarnation with the original The Sims game for PC. With each installment EA improved and expanded on the idea of video game simulation. But with World Adventures, it appears EA got too ambitious before developing a technically sound game.

The concept is super fun: travel to China, Egypt, and France exploring tombs and solving riddles to earn cool rewards. The problem is, the game doesn't run smoothly enough to actually complete these adventures. Even with a brand new, fully loaded laptop that exceeds the minimum system requirements for World Adventures, the game has faulty programming and glitches that make the game unplayable. I am running the game clean, which means I have no custom content, no mods, no items downloaded from the EA Store or any other source - just the Sims 3 base game and the World Adventures expansion pack. After spending time building up skills, generations, and job performance, when your Sims return from their second travel, they will return to any, possibly all, of these glitches. Some players have reported that their towns and houses are now empty, with no portraits of their Sims, no Sims to actually control. The major glitches I have reliably experienced is that after returning from travel #1: Sims do not bring back some of the items they purchased in other countries, #2 Sims can no longer "Sleep" at home, only nap, which makes progress tedious and not fun, #3 Sims come home with a clone. The clone Sim looks exactly like one of your Sims, has all of the same skills and traits as your Sim, but is wearing a different outfit (like your Sim's workout outfit). If you try to delete the clone, your Sim loses half of their skills and career accomplishments. None of these occurrences are planned gameplay.

As of June, 2011, there are no fixes for these glitches that have been part of the game since it was released in 2009. I have done extensive online research at the EA forum and numerous other unofficial Sims 3 websites, and have yet to find anyone who has NOT encountered these glitches. The usual recommendations (given my EA) are to uninstall the software and reinstall. This does not fix any of the gameplay problems. Most players have started over several times with families, but always run into the glitches.

In a nutshell, what to expect from The Sims 3 World Adventures Exapnsion pack:
Do expect:
- Your Sims to get "stuck": they will not move or interact with anything, forcing you to use a cheat to continue
- Your Sims to lose items they have purchased in other countries
- Your Sims to no longer be able to "sleep" in a bed after coming home from their second travel
- At least one of your Sims will be cloned after returning from a foreign country
Don't expect:
- That your computer or gaming knowledge is advanced enough to avoid/work around these glitches - they are just part of the game.
- That contacting EA will give you information on how to work around these glitches. I have emailed and called and have received numerous responses, all very timely and professional, informing me that EA is aware of these glitches and is investigating possible causes/solutions. That was the company's response in 2009, and it is still their response in 2011.
- A patch will be released to fix any of these problems. If you were a The Sims 2 player, you will recall a plethora of game patches released that actually DID fix bug/glitch issues. Well, things have changed for the Sims 3 generation. Pathces are released, but infrequently, and they still have not addressed essential gameplay issues. The company continues to advise players to purchase the newest expansion pack which will include a patch to address the issues with an older expansion pack. 3 expansion packs (and a nuber of Stuff packs) have been released for purchase since World Adventures, but the World Adventures glitches still exist. Be aware of this when thinking about the upcoming Pets expansion.

Honestly, I'm not sure why there hasn't been a class action lawsuit against EA for this product. The product does not work or function the way it was intended nor advertised to. And to suggest that in order to get World Adventures to function the way it was advertised one must purchase an entirely new product feels shady, if not illegal.

Do not waste your time on this product. The frustration and regret it causes is not worth it. In the end you will just be playing the Sims 3 base game, with a few of the objects included in the World Adventures bundle from Buy/Build mode. You will not get to actually play out the Adventures portion due to shoddy programming.

1.0 out of 5 stars This will ruin your original game, December 26, 2009
This review is from: The Sims 3: World Adventures Expansion Pack (DVD-ROM)
Don't bother to buy this expansion..unless you actually want to ruin your original game. It's obvious that no one at EA tested this expansion....as the bugs...glitches and computer problems couldn't have been ignored. The expansion can cause your computer...new or old to just shut down....or cause you to experience a blue screen. When this happens...you will have to hold down your power button to shut down your computer. Naturally this method of turning off your computer is never recommended....but with this game...there is no other way.

Many people have lost inventory from their original game..even objects that were bought in the EA store. Many more have lost entire neighborhoods complete with the families made.

Take some time to read the Sims 3/ Community/Forum/Technical thread before purchasing or installing. On that forum you will read the frustration and problems users are experiencing....and most of all the total lack of help from anyone at EA.

If the Sims 3 is all new to you...one word of advice: DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANY PATCHES These patches are being released in order to fix problems...but make things worse. Then they release patches to fix the previous patches. Again...it just makes more problems.

I refused to install their last patch fix and after reading how badly this 5th version messed up the game even more...I was glad that I refused.

I do own WA...but will not install it. After downloading EA's first 4 patches..my game has never been the same and they can no longer be trusted.

At this time I only see a recall of every Sims 3 game on the horizon. EA will never be able to repair the problems they have created...for each and every user.
I have a feeling that they are working on a new Sims 3 that incorporates all their updates and the latest expansion in a new improved release. There is no other solution.

So either stay away from WA if you haven't purchased it yet...or just don't open the one you have. Whatever you do...don't install it on your computer.

Wait for a real solution coming from EA in the form of a re-released game.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wait for the patch..., November 19, 2009
Raine (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sims 3: World Adventures Expansion Pack (DVD-ROM)
First a qualifier: I've been playing The Sims on PC since its inception. That said, I owned all of the EPs for Sims 1 and 2 and now Sims 3. I bought World Adventures on launch date and spent the next 10 hours struggling to play it. Before I could play it, I was advised that I had to install the new patch from EA so I did that at the same time. Now I'm not sure if it's the game, or the patch, but 90% of the houses I'd built and the families I'd created and raised were deleted by the addition of this EP. Additionally I am unable to save my progress due to "error 16" which seems to have affected everyone. EA has now released a patch to address that particular issue, however they have not come up with a resolution yet for the numerous other issues...

Aside from the households being deleted, there is also an obvious problem with my sims no longer being able to interact with each other. So they can't chat, tell jokes, get to know each other, flirt, "woohoo", or anything else that would require social interaction. Which means essentially, that until they patch this game, your sims will die out because you won't be able to form relationships that lead to child bearing.

There are other minor inconveniences such as inventories being deleted, reward objects no longer working and needing to be deleted, etc... My advice is too not buy the game right now. Wait until it's been fixed so that you don't have to endure the frustration of a virtually unplayable game.

On a more positive note, the scenary in the new locations are breathtaking and the game offers some fun new skills to build, but once again you can't really interact with anyone so all you can do is try to complete the missions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay, November 18, 2009
This review is from: The Sims 3: World Adventures Expansion Pack (DVD-ROM)
I've been playing for a day now, and while the adventures do offer a change from the normal everyday life of eat/shower/sleep for Sims, if you like to build houses there is not a lot of stuff added. Mostly decoration items, and doors and wallpapers for building tombs. There were no new buildings in the town that I could find. There are a few new hairstyles and a few new outfits for adults, I haven't checked with teen or toddler clothes yet. There are are also a few new personality traits and skills to learn as well.

The adventures themselves are okay. You start out with a very short amount of time at first, and you can't really accomplish much in that short time. You still have to keep up the needs of your Sim which can take awhile. When your vacation is up you return home and cannot take another vacation for two day. If you play your Sims on anything less than normal, you won't get to see very much of the adventure area's because there won't be enough time.

In my game I've only a couple of bugs, one which was kinda major was that I could not save a pre-existing family before install the world adventures pack. The second was that it slowed down game play waiting for everything to appear in the next room of the dungeon.

1.0 out of 5 stars How can EA still be selling this bug0ridden game?, October 15, 2010
Jingletown (Washington DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sims 3: World Adventures Expansion Pack (DVD-ROM)
I bought this expansion pack last week, figuring that since it had been out for a looooong time, EA would have fixed the bugs that everyone complained about. WRONG. I even though, ok, there are some glitches, I'll still be able to play and enjoy. WRONG. Don't get too attached to any of your Sims--they're going to disappear or become unplayable eventually. My Sim went on vacation and was stuck there. He couldn't leave. Another Sim came home from vacation and found a clone of himself living at his house. I thought it was funny at first, even tried to get them together as a couple. Then they went on another vacation, and became invisible. I tried various trouble-shooting, with no success. They are unplayable now. Thanks, EA. I've tried to play with different families and different scenarios, and glitches keep making the game impossible to play. How can this still be for sale like this? It's a game you can't play!

Lots of people complain about The Sims franchise, because so many people play it and it's impossible to keep everyone happy. Some expansion packs are fun to some people, not fun to others. And yeah, EA is overpricing the expansions, and making you pay for any little add-on. I'm annoyed that "stuff packs" even exist, because they USED to just come with new expansion packs. But oh well, I can deal with that and decide whether or not to waste my money. But to make an expansion pack for sale A YEAR after it came out, and still not get the glitches fixed? Unacceptable! EA should recall this pack and not sell it until these bugs are fixed. I literally cannot play the game I paid for.

This is especially disappointing because I did enjoy playing the new aspects of the game while I could.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was a'right, December 28, 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Sims 3: World Adventures Expansion Pack (DVD-ROM)
I own all the Sims 2 games and expansions, and I really like Sims 3, but I can't say this is my favorite expansion. It is fun... But I still find myself spending more time in my normal hood than out having adventures. Mostly because adventures cost moolah, and I'd rather spend money on making my Sims comfortable than on a really expensive trip which costs my Sims a week's pay. I also confess, I don't really enjoy the tomb crawling business. I haven't done it more than once but from what I've seen it was repetitive and tedious not entertaining.

I do like the new environments, and look forward to exploring it more. But overall, this was not my favorite expansion. I was disappointed there weren't more hairstyles and normal clothes.

After playing a few weeks EA released a patch which hosed my install of the game. My launcher still does not work properly which is a drag.n There is a conflict with my video driver which did not exist before the patch. This is by far my least favorite expansion to date.

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›

The Sims 3: World Adventures Expansion Pack
The Sims 3: World Adventures Expansion Pack by Electronic Arts (Mac OS X, Windows Vista / XP)
$21.99