4.0 out of 5 stars Best Collection Yet, But Still Not Quite There
Published on August 29, 2012 by D. R. Saxton

3.0 out of 5 stars Something's missing...
Without "Crying In My Sleep" it's incomplete. A good example of why collections such as this are never as good as the entire catalog.
Published 14 months ago by Wilson Quick

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Collection Yet, But Still Not Quite There, August 29, 2012
This review is from: The Singer (2 CD Set) (Audio CD)
I was so excited when I saw this CD advertised last May. I couldn't wait to see what songs had been selected. It was a long wait before they revealed what songs would be on the CD. (That was the first disappointment!) I, along with other Garfunkel fans, have waited FOREVER for the true 45 version of "Second Avenue" to be released on CD! My old and beat up Columbia 45 from the fall of 1974 is 3:58 seconds and has a whole extra chorus than the edited 2:46 version included on the "Best of" album from the days of vinyl and cassettes. (The only CD release of "Second Avenue"!!!)

I purchased the CD anyways because I love Art's voice and music. For the most part, the collection is awesome, but I totally agree with the reviewer that mentioned the glaring omission of "Traveling Boy". That is one of Art's finest songs! Also, others have pointed out the far inferior and shortened version of "All I Know". (Believe me, it doesn't even come CLOSE to the original hit version!!) Another "Blow" is how they faded in "I Only Have Eyes For You", leaving off the first 31 seconds from the original hit. That makes no sense!

A few songs were pretty lame, but that is always going to happen over the course of a collection this large. Since I own all of the five or so Simon and Garfunkel greatest hits packages, the addition of their tunes on this collection was here or there to me, but I get why Art chose them. I would have liked to have had, "Crying in My Sleep", "Mr. Shuck N Jive", "And I Know", plus "So Much in Love" included to replace a few of the Simon and Garfunkel songs.

The quality of the CD is good but not audiophile. I compared "Scissors Cut" to the "Best OF" one, and the main difference was that on the "The Singer", the volume level was louder. On "Disney Girls", I compared it to my IMPORT version of "Breakaway" and I found them to sound IDENTICAL.

Overall, considering the DECENT PRICE and the wealth of super songs, this CD provides the best package available at this time. I'm just being a baby about "Second Avenue" (45 version) being left out once again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Arthur, you almost got it right., August 28, 2012
This review is from: The Singer (2 CD Set) (Audio CD)
For years I have been hoopin' and hollerin' for a comprehensive Art Garfunkel collection. Columbia's pathetic 1988 single disc 12 track offering "Garfunkel" simply did not cut the mustard. Finally, in 2012 Sony Legacy has seen fit to release a solid two-disc anthology "Art Garfunkel: The Singer". According to the product description on Amazon "The Singer" is a 34-song collection of songs hand-picked by the artist himself." My beef is not so much with the tunes Art Garfunkel chose to include but rather some of the ones that he inexplicably left off.

It goes without saying that no Art Garfunkel collection would be complete without a sprinkling of tunes from his days as one half of Simon & Garfunkel. "The Singer" offers up more than a half dozen Simon & Garfunkel tunes including their #1 debut single "The Sound of Silence", the haunting 19th century folk ballad "Scarborough Fair/Canticle" as well as lesser known tunes like "Kathy's Song" and the luscious "April Come She Will". It has been years since I have enjoyed that tune! Also included is the boys biggest hit of all time "Bridge Over Troubled Water" which topped the charts for 6 big weeks in the Spring of 1970. I have always contended that Art Garfunkel's lead is the single greatest vocal performance in the history of rock and roll.

When Simon & Garfunkel parted ways in the early 1970's some wondered if Art could make it as a solo act. Garfunkel dispelled those fears by recording a pair of Top 10 albums before the middle of the decade. "The Artist" must not have been a big fan of his debut album "Angel Clare" because he only chose to include only one of the songs from that disc which was a tune called "Barbara Allen". That is definitely not the tune I would have chosen from that album.

Now I think that most Art Garfunkel fans would agree that 1975's "Breakway" was probably his best album. I was pleased to discover that Art chose to include a half-dozen tunes from that disc including a trio of personal favorites namely "Breakaway", "Disney Girls" and his comeback single with Paul Simon "My Little Town". The remainder of this two-disc anthology features songs from other albums that Art recorded over the years including 6 from his 1993 album "Up `Til Now". Somehow I missed that one but happily I found all but one of these tunes to be an absolute delight. In 2007, Art Garfunkel recorded an album of tunes from the "Great American Songbook" that he dubbed "Some Enchanted Evening". Along with the title tune "The Singer" also includes Art's moving rendition of Lerner and Loewe's "I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face". Great tune!

As I indicated earlier I was a bit taken aback by some of the songs did not make the cut. Perhaps my very favorite Garfunkel tune of all-time is "Traveling Boy" from the album "Angel Clare". I would have to say that Art's vocal on that one ranks right up there with his work on "Bridge Over Troubled Water". It still sends chills up my spine every time I hear it. Likewise, it is inexplicable to me why "Looking For The Right One" was also not included. And having seen Garfunkel in concert some years back I know he is a big fan of doo-wop and early rock and roll. I figured it was a slam-dunk that his marvelous rendition of "So Much In Love" would have been among the 34 tracks. I thought it was even better than the original! Perhaps the biggest downer is the fact that the original version of "All I Know" was bypassed in favor of a re-recording from the 1993 album "Up 'Til Now". Very bad idea! Despite my disappointment I am going to bite the bullet and order this collection. This is still a big upgrade from anything previously available. Art Garfunkel is certainly one of the finest male vocalists of his generation and release of the long overdue "Art Garfunkel: The Singer" corrects a glaring oversight by his record company. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Trancendent, September 3, 2012
Ivan (Hollywood Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Singer (MP3 Music)
Was never a big fan of Art Garfunkel - a little bit too Sweet for my taste - but sitting on the balcony, drinking my first cup of Bailey's laced coffee, looking at the Atlantic and giving this a first listen I was blown away.

The reviews that are currently posted are from people very familiar with Garfunkel and they seem to be focused more on what is wrong then what is right. As a relative novice I find his voice to be transcending. It's a matter of seeing the Forest and not looking at a dismembered tree.

Beauty was never a big part of rock and roll but this is beautiful music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Art Garfunkel at 12, March 26, 2013
This review is from: The Singer (2 CD Set) (Audio CD)
thought you fans would like to know that Art Garfunkel had his magnificient voice at 12 years old. He used to sing in the adult congregation services at the Jewish Center of Kew Gardens Hills during the high holy days. Cantor Kousevitsky (I believe related to the Boston Symphony conductor) would take him out of Hebrew School classes and work with him. I still remember hearing his voice back then and could not quite believe its angelic tone (such as in Bridge Over Troubled Waters.) I only wish they had recordings of his singing. It was like he was almost not from this world. We all take for granted that professionals can sing amazingly but this was a 12 year old boy. Live. I will never forget it

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent career-spanning collection, October 23, 2012
This review is from: The Singer (2 CD Set) (Audio CD)
One of the finest singers of ballads of his or any other generation, this compilation is exactly what I expected it to be. Anybody who wants bouncy music to get those toes tapping has to look elsewhere (and I enjoy such music too), but when it comes to mellow music, Art Garfunkel is in his element.

Some people are disappointed with this collection, either because it includes tracks that Art recorded with Paul Simon, or because of other songs that they think should be here but aren't. Personally, I am very happy with the track selection. Art apparently chose both the tracks and the running order, so I guess he had his reasons for omitting tracks that some fans wanted to be here. He also wrote notes in which he says what each chosen song means to him. I also think that while a single CD focusing on Art's solo music is fair enough, a double CD works better with at least some of the songs that he recorded with Paul Simon. All the tracks that most fans would want are here. Minor hits are always a topic for debate. Some minor hits can nevertheless be important in an artist's career, but most aren't. As such, if Art felt that there are tracks that he preferred, I'm happy with that. It's not described as a greatest hits collection.

After splitting with Paul Simon, finding great songs to record wasn't quite so easy, although he found some good songs, most notably Bright eyes. If he was ever short of original material, there was never any shortage of songs that he could cover, and there are a fair number of those here, from the traditional Barbara Allen through I only have eyes for you (originally from the thirties, and revived in the fifties by the Flamingos) and other great songs of the forties and fifties to covers of songs that were contemporary.

So, judging this for what is here, it's great to have his solo classics such as Bright eyes and I only have eyes for you (both of them number one hits in Britain) as well as Simon and Garfunkel classics including, of course, Bridge over troubled water. Definitely no complaints from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent Garfunkel collection, November 19, 2012
steve_manassas (Manassas, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Singer (2 CD Set) (Audio CD)
While Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel were better together than separately, both went on to successful solo careers. Simon has had more success on his own, probably because he is a better writer and a lot of his material (e.g., the Graceland album) is more experimental and edgy. My favorite Paul Simon album is There Goes Rhymin' Simon from 1973; I also own the 2007 CD/DVD compilation, The Essential Paul Simon.

Enough about Simon. Art Garfunkel always had the better voice, and his solo material is much more entertaining. A long time ago, I owned the vinyl versions of his first two Columbia albums, Angel Claire and Breakaway. Now, with this new two-CD set, I get to experience the Garfunkel sound all over again, from his early days with Simon and Garfunkel, to two new songs recorded in 2012. Most of his major hits are here - "All I Know" (a 1993 remake), "I Only Have Eyes For You," "Breakaway," "Waters Of March," and more. There are even a few forays into The Great American Songbook - the aforementioned "Eyes," "Two Sleepy People," and "Some Enchanted Evening."

Like any compilation, there are some fan favorites missing - "I Shall Sing," "Second Avenue," and a Paul Williams/Roger Nichols song from the first LP that I really loved, called "Traveling Boy." I would have probably left the S&G material off, to make room for more of Art's solo material. But Art Garfunkel himself selected and sequenced all 34 songs, so if some of your favorites are missing, it's because Mr. Garfunkel did not want them included on this set.

Nevertheless, this is a wonderful collection and a must-have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful Retrospective, March 6, 2013
This review is from: The Singer (2 CD Set) (Audio CD)
This is a delightful two-CD anthology spanning Garfunkel's career from 1964-2012. Some of Garfunkel's work with Paul Simon is here such as "The Sounds of Silence," "Bridge Over Troubled Water," "For Emily Wherever I May Find Her" & "Scarborough Fair." Garfunkel sings some of Jimmy Webb's songs like the lovely "All I Know," "Skywriter," "Scissors Cut," & "In Cars." Carole King's "Crying in the Rain" with James Taylor on vocals is a lovely track. Garfunkel's CD's that mine the great American songbooks are represented, "I Only Have Eyes for You," Rogers & Hart's "Some Enchanted Evening," & Lerner & Lowe's "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face." In 2002, Garfunkel stunned me with what was for me the breathtaking "Everything Waits to Be Noticed" recorded with Maia Sharp & Buddy Mondlock. "The Thread" & "Perfect Moment" represent that set. Two newly released tracks are here, both collaborations with Maia Sharp. Maia's dad Randy wrote "Lena," a haunting ballad with a lovely cello and Maia's "Long Way Home." Taken as a whole, this is a delightful retrospective in which Art weaves his musical spell. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars I was blown away!!!! A "must have" for your collection, November 4, 2012
Carole "cbinaruba" (Morristown, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Singer (2 CD Set) (Audio CD)
I was blown away from the first note on this CD set to the very last note. I could not stop listening....had to hear it all the way through. Just an awesome collection compiled by Art, personally, and laid out onto the CD's in the order he set down. The liner notes are so informative....tons of bits of information on each son and the time of Art's life when recorded are so interesting and eye opening. I highly recommend that anyone who even "likes" (not loves) Simon and Garfunkel or just Art, alone, must pick this CD set up now. You will NOT be disappointed in any way. Trust me on this one. Sit back and enjoy the ride with Art....

5.0 out of 5 stars the singer/ Art Garfunkel, September 6, 2012
This review is from: The Singer (2 CD Set) (Audio CD)
LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! This is some of the most beautiful & relaxing music I've ever listened to, &, believe me, I listen to a lot of music in all genres! If you're thinking of buying this CD, do it! You won't regret it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A few mis-steps are always going to happen, September 8, 2012
Roger Harris (Ada, Oklahoma United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Singer (2 CD Set) (Audio CD)
Over-all, the 2-cd set by Mr. Garfunkel is a fine tribute to an enduring artist, and surely one of the great voices of all time. But with any compilation, there will be things that are bothersome. Most noteworthy is the absence of his version of "Second Avenue." Most fans think it is a great song, and as a radio personality I tend to agree. The problem is, Art doesn't. He has mentioned in interviews that he was never happy with it. And, after all, it is HIS compilation, so there you have it. And yes...as another reviewer wrote...not including the original version of "All I Know," is a mis-step. And personally, the inclusion of the Simon and Garfunkel songs really isn't necessary considering the numerous compilations out there for S & G vrs. the compilations available for Art, but again, a judgement call. I would rather have had more of his offerings on his own. But a quality treatment this is for sure. Let's be thankful that, at age 70, we still have him and his artistry around for us to enjoy.

The Singer (2 CD Set)
The Singer (2 CD Set) by Art Garfunkel (Audio CD - 2012)